ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Post Offices refuse to sort mail in first industrial action

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
simjan
POST OFFICE
Posts: 72
Joined: 07 Feb 2008, 05:06
Location: here

Re: Post Offices refuse to sort mail in first industrial act

Post by simjan »

no the starting pay for crown workers in nowhere near that amount
jjj
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Post Offices refuse to sort mail in first industrial act

Post by Lounge Lizard »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:If they are in dispute, why would they pay the fine? (Assuming it is a reality, which remains to be proven).
Those working in crown or supermarkets are paid in an entirely different manner as far as I'm aware, and are not business owners, and therefore have not lost any money due the recent decision of POL to remove approx. £28 per month for segregating the mail, as they are salaried employees. So should continue to segregate mail. This is also not the only monies taken from PO's, one I spoke to has said they will be £5000 down this year on last, and it is nowhere near the first time money/payments have been cut, and each time it has been very severe. I have every sympathy with them.
I look at it this way, if RM(and with privatisation looming, it may become a reality) decide to stop paying delivery supplement, costing FT staff approx. £1000 per year, would we not take action? I support the ban, and it may also be helpful to our Union's aims of blocking privatisation. Though I think it is unstoppable at this point.
Those working in crown offices are indeed paid in an entirely different manner and therefore will not have lost any money due the recent decision of POL.
But presumably WHSmiths and supermarkets like the Co-op will now be paid less but are unlikely to pass this on in reduced wages.
No I don't think so. It is unlikely that they, that's WHSmiths/supermarkets etc., would have been in receipt of this pay in the first place. I expect they would have similar contracts to Crown offices, just on considerably less money, segregation of mail will be part of the contract with no money paid for doing it. Staff probably on minimum wage etc(less than £7ph I believe), and they are the ones that end up doing it, the bosses at the top see more money in.
I was told by a subpostmaster yesterday that the starting pay for staff in crown offices is £11.12ph, whether true or not I don't know, and this is the real reason that they want to close crowns and move them into 3rd party retailers, it's massively cheaper.
If you think about it, a 3rd party retailer will have lower costs than any PO or crown office, as the heating/lights etc. are already on, just horizon screens/computers to pay extra electric for, so they just see it as an extra service for customers and another income for them.
Yes, you're probably right in that WHSmiths/supermarkets etc. would not have been in receipt of this pay in the first place and they would have similar contracts to Crown offices, just on considerably less money.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Post Offices refuse to sort mail in first industrial act

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

simjan wrote:no the starting pay for crown workers in nowhere near that amount
Well, it was a crown worker that said it.
Though I do know a couple that are on approx. £10.50ph, so as it was second hand info, probably not reliable.
But it would explain why POL are wanting to move into 3rd party retailers, as they would get minimum pay, a big saving on wages.
No doubt it is being dressed up as 'improving services and availability' for customers, or some other similar crap.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
subbie
POST OFFICE
Posts: 418
Joined: 03 Feb 2010, 11:41
Gender: Male

Re: Post Offices refuse to sort mail in first industrial act

Post by subbie »

Well according to the NFSP their little "action" is causing chaos to Royal Mail, with MLO's such as Swindon having to hire extra workers to cope with unsegregated mail, up to 3 I heard.

So is this scenario true?

Subbie
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Post Offices refuse to sort mail in first industrial act

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

subbie wrote:Well according to the NFSP their little "action" is causing chaos to Royal Mail, with MLO's such as Swindon having to hire extra workers to cope with unsegregated mail, up to 3 I heard.

So is this scenario true?

Subbie
I think chaos is a bit strong, but the collection hub near me has suffered delays as it does take longer to sort. Overall, I'd say it is cheaper to reinstate the payment, and also means mail would go through the system faster.
RM has deliberately paid for this to happen initially, knowing that they would remove the payment at some point, hoping that PO's would continue to segregate the mail as they are used to it.
This may well just be the start of something much bigger.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.