ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

DOM threats

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
phronsias
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 207
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 17:59
Gender: Male

Re: DOM threats

Post by phronsias »

fishtank wrote:Managers can move anybody if they can show a genuine business requirement but it can't be punitive and it can't be vindictive.
It would be very doubtful that it could be justified on performance grounds because moving you is not going to help any "alleged" performance issues.
The best course of action is for your rep to insist on a written explanation of the grounds for moving you,that is a reasonable request under the circumstances.
That will either cause the manager to back down or he will further implicate himself by either lying or using an unreasonable excuse to move you.
Hi
I wrote to the DOM on the 2nd of May and gave a copy to the rep, asking the reason and to test me on the walk, during the meeting in the 1 May the rep supported the DOM against me and this isnt the first time hes done so.
Thanks
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: DOM threats

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Can't really point you in the direction of a specific agreement, as far as I'm aware there isn't one that allows the action taken. It does appear that you are being punished for refusing to work OT basically. You gave the manager the letter Thursday, if you have had no response by Wednesday, which would be a full week, write a new letter to them, and send it to their boss also on Thursday(assuming they don't answer that day), state the time given, the fact you have had no response.
Explain you feel you are being punished for not going past your time, which you are perfectly, legally, entitled to do. If any action was required, and in the absence of the duty being tested I find it unlikely and unfair, then it would fall under non-culpable efficiency, which only requires a counselling session and/or retraining.
And if still no joy, grievance, and possibly file a complaint with the union about the rep. Speak to the Area Rep about the issue.
Whatever duty you are now placed on, it will be unfamiliar and therefore you're just as likely to bring mail back off that too.
If the manager claims you were moved due to performance issues, then they have failed to solve the problem, or to prove there was one in the first place.
Diarise events, meeting dates/times, dates letters sent(keep copies). It may also help to enquire if this type of action has been taken against other staff members before, and if not, you can ask why you're being treated differently to them. Ask how others have been dealt with in relation to cutting off.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
phronsias
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 207
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 17:59
Gender: Male

Re: DOM threats

Post by phronsias »

Hi
Ive been on a different walk from Tuesday 7th of May, I got an email from Moya Greene saying she will look into my case, I was told by the union sub-rep (not the rep who was in the meeting with me last), that the CWU big wigs got my email and have sent it down to branch to deal with, I spoke to the dom today and he said he will let me know Friday if Im back on my walk, Ive got my long weekend so thats something.
Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: DOM threats

Post by Lincox »

good on you Phronsi. It just shows that if you have the guts to front up to these nasty bstrds, you can show them up for what they are.
motch
Posts: 332
Joined: 08 May 2008, 23:19
Gender: Male

Re: DOM threats

Post by motch »

hopefully you don't get "work related stress" in the near future. :Very Happy :wink:
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: DOM threats

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

phronsias wrote:Hi
Ive been on a different walk from Tuesday 7th of May, I got an email from Moya Greene saying she will look into my case, I was told by the union sub-rep (not the rep who was in the meeting with me last), that the CWU big wigs got my email and have sent it down to branch to deal with, I spoke to the dom today and he said he will let me know Friday if Im back on my walk, Ive got my long weekend so thats something.
Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice one. Hope you get your round back, you shouldn't have 'lost' it in the first place. Hopefully you will inspire more posties to fight their corners.
You may find yourself on the DIM's s**t list though. But sod them, they shouldn't screw you over just because you refuse to be bullied.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
phronsias
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 207
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 17:59
Gender: Male

Re: DOM threats

Post by phronsias »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:
phronsias wrote:Hi
Ive been on a different walk from Tuesday 7th of May, I got an email from Moya Greene saying she will look into my case, I was told by the union sub-rep (not the rep who was in the meeting with me last), that the CWU big wigs got my email and have sent it down to branch to deal with, I spoke to the dom today and he said he will let me know Friday if Im back on my walk, Ive got my long weekend so thats something.
Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice one. Hope you get your round back, you shouldn't have 'lost' it in the first place. Hopefully you will inspire more posties to fight their corners.
You may find yourself on the DIM's s**t list though. But sod them, they shouldn't screw you over just because you refuse to be bullied.
Hi
I just found out Im on a different walk next week, I dont know the area at all and need to finish on time, what are my options? I have a feeling they want me out, Ive got IBS and this is making it go wild.
Thanks
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: DOM threats

Post by Lincox »

If you are unable to complete within your time you must follow the Overrunning Delivery Procedures. These are well documented on this forum and can be found in Downloads.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: DOM threats

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

First off I'd ask for training. Whether or not you get it is another matter.
As you will be on a round you've never done before, get your Rep to explain that they cannot possibly expect you to complete the duty within the scheduled time, and that you have no desire to do any OT. Whether or not you have a prior reason for wanting to finish on time is irrelevant, and none of their business. If there is no Rep, get a trusted colleague and ask the manager how much they want you to leave, or if they want you to return the remainder to the office. Do this pretty much as soon as you start, it isn't a mail volume issue that will make you fail, but the fact that you are being given a round you've never done, and therefore cannot be expected to complete it as you would your own, not until you have been on a while, minimum 1 week.
I think you're right, they appear to be trying to push you into trouble. Buy a Dictaphone and put it in your pocket, turn it on when you start your duty and off at the end, it will be harder for them to deny what they have said then.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
phronsias
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 207
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 17:59
Gender: Male

Re: DOM threats

Post by phronsias »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:First off I'd ask for training. Whether or not you get it is another matter.
As you will be on a round you've never done before, get your Rep to explain that they cannot possibly expect you to complete the duty within the scheduled time, and that you have no desire to do any OT. Whether or not you have a prior reason for wanting to finish on time is irrelevant, and none of their business. If there is no Rep, get a trusted colleague and ask the manager how much they want you to leave, or if they want you to return the remainder to the office. Do this pretty much as soon as you start, it isn't a mail volume issue that will make you fail, but the fact that you are being given a round you've never done, and therefore cannot be expected to complete it as you would your own, not until you have been on a while, minimum 1 week.
I think you're right, they appear to be trying to push you into trouble. Buy a Dictaphone and put it in your pocket, turn it on when you start your duty and off at the end, it will be harder for them to deny what they have said then.

Hi
Thanks for the sound advice, Ive had IBS for 7 years and the managers and union know this, the stress and uncertainty is causing my symptoms to increase , Ive had it under control for the past two years or so but with all this stress my IBS is making my life a misery , can I get my line manager to refer me to employees health to be assessed?
Thanks again
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: DOM threats

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

phronsias wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:First off I'd ask for training. Whether or not you get it is another matter.
As you will be on a round you've never done before, get your Rep to explain that they cannot possibly expect you to complete the duty within the scheduled time, and that you have no desire to do any OT. Whether or not you have a prior reason for wanting to finish on time is irrelevant, and none of their business. If there is no Rep, get a trusted colleague and ask the manager how much they want you to leave, or if they want you to return the remainder to the office. Do this pretty much as soon as you start, it isn't a mail volume issue that will make you fail, but the fact that you are being given a round you've never done, and therefore cannot be expected to complete it as you would your own, not until you have been on a while, minimum 1 week.
I think you're right, they appear to be trying to push you into trouble. Buy a Dictaphone and put it in your pocket, turn it on when you start your duty and off at the end, it will be harder for them to deny what they have said then.

Hi
Thanks for the sound advice, Ive had IBS for 7 years and the managers and union know this, the stress and uncertainty is causing my symptoms to increase , Ive had it under control for the past two years or so but with all this stress my IBS is making my life a misery , can I get my line manager to refer me to employees health to be assessed?
Thanks again
Possibly. It's not an easy condition, and from what I understand it can be quite severe and debilitating. I also believe stress exacerbates the condition. I'd speak to the Rep, possibly after your GP for their advice on this, and see if you could/should ask for a referral. IBS doesn't mean you can't work, but on occasion it may mean you need to be placed on more appropriate duties when the condition flares up badly.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
phronsias
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 207
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 17:59
Gender: Male

Re: DOM threats

Post by phronsias »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:
phronsias wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:First off I'd ask for training. Whether or not you get it is another matter.
As you will be on a round you've never done before, get your Rep to explain that they cannot possibly expect you to complete the duty within the scheduled time, and that you have no desire to do any OT. Whether or not you have a prior reason for wanting to finish on time is irrelevant, and none of their business. If there is no Rep, get a trusted colleague and ask the manager how much they want you to leave, or if they want you to return the remainder to the office. Do this pretty much as soon as you start, it isn't a mail volume issue that will make you fail, but the fact that you are being given a round you've never done, and therefore cannot be expected to complete it as you would your own, not until you have been on a while, minimum 1 week.
I think you're right, they appear to be trying to push you into trouble. Buy a Dictaphone and put it in your pocket, turn it on when you start your duty and off at the end, it will be harder for them to deny what they have said then.

Hi
Thanks for the sound advice, Ive had IBS for 7 years and the managers and union know this, the stress and uncertainty is causing my symptoms to increase , Ive had it under control for the past two years or so but with all this stress my IBS is making my life a misery , can I get my line manager to refer me to employees health to be assessed?
Thanks again
Possibly. It's not an easy condition, and from what I understand it can be quite severe and debilitating. I also believe stress exacerbates the condition. I'd speak to the Rep, possibly after your GP for their advice on this, and see if you could/should ask for a referral. IBS doesn't mean you can't work, but on occasion it may mean you need to be placed on more appropriate duties when the condition flares up badly.
Hi
Stress is the main factor for me, without going into detail too much, I suffer from Constipation which I call under control because it does'nt impact on my work , Id say I go once every 5 days, if it goes over this the pain is overwhelming, with stress I get Diarrhea and can go 3 or 4 time in an hour, sometimes more. hard to believe if you dont have IBS of know someone who does.
Last edited by phronsias on 12 May 2013, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: DOM threats

Post by aiden01 »

Hi phronsias i suffer from ibs myself although not as severe as you describe it can become an absolute nightmare in times of severe distress personally i think you should contact atos and arrange a meeting with them yourself tell your manager f all good luck.
phronsias
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 207
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 17:59
Gender: Male

Re: DOM threats

Post by phronsias »

Hi
I got a text from the area CWU rep yesterday and we have a meeting in the morning, he wants my IBS to be assessed , the old DOM was ok with me, he put me on a walk near my house so I could go home if needed. and in the repick I picked a walk that my house was on. Now Im on reserve I dread the thought of not knowing if I have access to a loo.
Thanks again for all your advice.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: DOM threats

Post by aiden01 »

phronsias wrote:Hi
I got a text from the area CWU rep yesterday and we have a meeting in the morning, he wants my IBS to be assessed , the old DOM was ok with me, he put me on a walk near my house so I could go home if needed. and in the repick I picked a walk that my house was on. Now Im on reserve I dread the thought of not knowing if I have access to a loo.
Thanks again for all your advice.
Good luck mate keep us updated.