ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postie loses a special delivery.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
pokos27
Posts: 657
Joined: 15 Apr 2010, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: Postie loses a special delivery.

Post by pokos27 »

its at the doms discretion and of course his budget, hopefully it turns up.
Kafinater
Posts: 22
Joined: 21 Apr 2013, 17:27
Gender: Male

Re: Postie loses a special delivery.

Post by Kafinater »

Saw this and had to reply, hopefully it will be of some encouragement. In 2003 on a very hot summers day I was on my firms delivery in the town. I had about 17ish specials that day, some I had delivered already but I had 9 left. I had them in the front of my van in the middle next to me. I jumped out to deliver a special to a shop, in, sign, out and next door the same. in that time someone saw my window open and took all 9 items!

I called my line manager who came out to me. He asked me on the security of the vehicle I had to tell him my window was open on both drivers and passengers side.

I was interviewed by my line manager, and later by the DOM. To say I was scared is an understatement! For some reason the DOM took 6 weeks to make a decision. I pestered my union rep but the DOM wasn't moved and after 6 weeks of turmoil the decision was made in a decision making interview. 2 Years serious offence with 1 years suspended dismissal. I survived the 1 year taking care of all specials in future.

Judgement has been made on you and the special is still lost. Now you need to get over that bit and keep yourself vigilant. Specials are to RM a flagship service to the customer we all need to take care of them. PLEASE don't lose anymore!

I'm currently in a fix - check out my post called Unreported Incident DOH!
Kafinater
Posts: 22
Joined: 21 Apr 2013, 17:27
Gender: Male

Re: Postie loses a special delivery.

Post by Kafinater »

Oh..."will he be sacked?" If it happens again in the 2 years quite likely, but as others have said it depends on the DOM and the office situation with regards to vacancies. Your attitude to the loss maybe considered, perhaps in the mind of the DOM. I mean, if you take a care free attitude rather than show remorse and concern...get my drift? My advice though is if judgement has been made whether the item is still lost or not, just be careful especially in the next 2 years.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Postie loses a special delivery.

Post by dvbuk55 »

I would also point out that the incident was 10 years ago and if a week is a long time in politics - imagine what ten years is to the managerial attitude on the loss of specials.
Kafinater
Posts: 22
Joined: 21 Apr 2013, 17:27
Gender: Male

Re: Postie loses a special delivery.

Post by Kafinater »

Totally agree. In fact I was going to add a new topic on managerial attitudes...in fact I think I will, in a bit
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Postie loses a special delivery.

Post by meercat »

I lost one once after form-leaving it but found it the next day when I was prepping in my d2d. I had put it in my pouch and it slipped between some extra d2d from an earlier bundle. when I got back to DO I put this d2d back on the pile and luckily felt something funny as I was prepping leaflets the next morning and there it was! managers weren't bothered about it and said they would act only if a complaint came in. so consult with customer. if they have already complained they can withdraw complaint if you compensate them by saying someone did sign for it but they weren't aware for example.