ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What I'm really thinking: the postie

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

What I'm really thinking: the postie

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ale-postie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You'd be surprised at the picture that builds up of your life after a few months as your post(wo)man. I pretend not to notice final demands, letters from county court, countless Amazon packages, handing them over with a cheery "Morning", though these days it's probably afternoon. Nor do I break stride as your second car gets towed. It's pretty obvious you're living beyond your means.

Of course, not everyone is a spendthrift, and that, too, is reflected in your mail – you don't get any and we're both happy. You nod at my high-capacity trolley, telling me, "That's progress." I think, where's the job that I used to love gone? No bicycle, no second delivery, no time any more for lonely customers.

After fifteen years I've seen streets grow old and delivered cards marking these life-changing moments. Death, house sale, new occupants, marriage, birth. The world keeps turning.

Pre-dawn starts, heavy bags, permanent backache, snow, ice, monotony – all this is fine. The worst thing about my job is dogs, and any dog with teeth has potential. The unholy trinity of irresponsible owner/loose dog/open gate can mean pounding heart and narrow escape, but more likely A&E, antibiotics and a new scar. Best sight of all has been newborn babies coming home for the first time.

As time passes, and we become more overloaded I wonder how much longer I can cope with the physical demands of this job. What comes first: a hip replacement or a divorce? Nobody wants a partner who falls asleep the minute they sit down. But most of all I'm thinking, is it too late for a change? Still, I'll do it all again tomorrow: who'd be without their postie?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: What I'm really thinking: the postie

Post by clashcityrocker »

Brilliant.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: What I'm really thinking: the postie

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Ft posted this in blueshirts Teebs. :Very Happy
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
beria
Posts: 35
Joined: 30 Apr 2012, 05:36
Gender: Male

Re: What I'm really thinking: the postie

Post by beria »

Unsung HEROES ! :Applause