bunkerland, we are in agreement.
But like you said, there was more spare capacity within delivery in them days. The number of delivery hours you stated is not exactly 'pure work': there was 2 deliveries for starters and less mail (ironic) and packets, D2D was not part of workload and there were some very easy rounds. OT was available to people that wanted it and there was quite of a bit of ghost overtime going on.
As for people dragging heavy weights and inadequate H&S, most of that was self-inflicted. The might have been some inadequate equipment but they were there and people ignore them like some still do presently. The senior guys I work with that used the bikes rarely ever carried weight and they still do not with the LWTs. Some people are just not sensible!
However, we agree that using seniority is the easiest (might even say way fair) to allocate jobs but where you have a general revision and repick, I am not so certain.
But I am not against Seniority per se, but the duties are not fairly equal (and that used to be 'by design' and still is in some parts) and then you have some posties that abuse the seniority and push it in people's faces despite the fact that they are on an easier ride...
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Seniority!
-
ziggy
- Posts: 114
- Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
- Location: Back o Beyond
Re: Seniority!
Thanks chrisjchrisj wrote:I think this is more to do with lack of information from either your DOM and/or Union Rep.
Your seniority is not affected regardless of whether they put up 2 separate lists of PTs and FTS. I assume when it comes to picking they can either go down a straightforward seniority list or they can do the two lists in tandem; the latter will make things quicker, I presume.
The only issue for you is whether you have actually been made up to FT contract. The fact that you have been temping as a FT staff is not material, the job will be made available and will be filled on the 'old' seniority rules.
My reply above is based on the assumption that there a certain number of FT and PT roles, and some others in between... 39, 32.5, 27.5, 24 hrs (3 days), 35 hours, floating duties over 5 and floating duties over 4 days, Rurals, Firms and late/driver/lock up.
Is there anything I can download to prove this? At the moment our office intends to give all official full timers their pick THEN the part timers get a choice of what's left. The two lists are not running in tandem. I would understand this if there was only enough full time jobs for the existing full timers but that is not the case. We have part timers with many years service being bumped way down in seniority for the repick.
Ziggy
-
JiminyBillyBob
- Posts: 177
- Joined: 26 Jun 2012, 21:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority!
I've only got 1 year of RM to get through then i'm off to uni, but if privatisation happens who's to say that the seniority system will still be in place anyway?UnhappyGremlin wrote:But in 20 years time, assuming you're still at RM, will your opinion be the same? Everybody has been through it, it is one of the only real benefits of long term service left.JiminyBillyBob wrote:I loved my training round, even though it was one of the biggest walks in the office, I hate having to be on a different walk every day/week, why can't they just leave everyone on a walk? it would probably mean less complaints and overtime being paid out. It sucks that the guys that have been there 20 odd years will always get first pick when walks become available
-
ninja
- Posts: 193
- Joined: 08 Sep 2010, 20:16
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority!
Found this repick guide/process on my laptop?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Seniority!
If privatised, seniority will be the least of our worries.JiminyBillyBob wrote:I've only got 1 year of RM to get through then i'm off to uni, but if privatisation happens who's to say that the seniority system will still be in place anyway?UnhappyGremlin wrote:But in 20 years time, assuming you're still at RM, will your opinion be the same? Everybody has been through it, it is one of the only real benefits of long term service left.JiminyBillyBob wrote:I loved my training round, even though it was one of the biggest walks in the office, I hate having to be on a different walk every day/week, why can't they just leave everyone on a walk? it would probably mean less complaints and overtime being paid out. It sucks that the guys that have been there 20 odd years will always get first pick when walks become available
And thanks for showing concern for your colleagues who have no choice but to stay and get screwed.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
bandit650
- Posts: 880
- Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 15:42
- Gender: Female
Re: Seniority!
The way backward gives you the information on seniority and it also tells you about the jobs that are under the suitability banner as well,seniority is still used with duties,if a duty comes up then it should be advertised then the most senior person should get the job,if a part time person applies for a job in their own hours the same applies,if a part time member of staff applies for a full time duty and no full time staff apply then the most senior person even if part time gets the duty.
Seniority is still used in duty terms as it is seen as the only fair way of staff being able to move around within an office the reason is to stop the blue eyed boy syndrome which is still prevalent in Royal Mail ,if your having problems then you should raise the matter within your office with the appropriate people.
Seniority is still used in duty terms as it is seen as the only fair way of staff being able to move around within an office the reason is to stop the blue eyed boy syndrome which is still prevalent in Royal Mail ,if your having problems then you should raise the matter within your office with the appropriate people.
-
JiminyBillyBob
- Posts: 177
- Joined: 26 Jun 2012, 21:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority!
I don't see how i'm being unconcerning, i'm merely explaining i definitely won't be with RM in 20 years. Believe me i'd probably be the first to get screwed when privatised as I haven't even got a year under my belt. That's why when i joined RM i decided to go back to uni, as with all this privatisation talk i really didn't see a future in the job like there probably was in the past.UnhappyGremlin wrote:If privatised, seniority will be the least of our worries.JiminyBillyBob wrote:I've only got 1 year of RM to get through then i'm off to uni, but if privatisation happens who's to say that the seniority system will still be in place anyway?UnhappyGremlin wrote:But in 20 years time, assuming you're still at RM, will your opinion be the same? Everybody has been through it, it is one of the only real benefits of long term service left.JiminyBillyBob wrote:I loved my training round, even though it was one of the biggest walks in the office, I hate having to be on a different walk every day/week, why can't they just leave everyone on a walk? it would probably mean less complaints and overtime being paid out. It sucks that the guys that have been there 20 odd years will always get first pick when walks become available
And thanks for showing concern for your colleagues who have no choice but to stay and get screwed.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Seniority!
Fair enough. But in my opinion, it will be people like yourself that are new to the business that have a better prospect of staying in the job, as at the earliest opportunity, RM will offer every employee on a short term contract a new long term contract, but on the minimum wage, whilst trying to get rid off, by any means necessary, experienced staff, especially full timers.JiminyBillyBob wrote:I don't see how i'm being unconcerning, i'm merely explaining i definitely won't be with RM in 20 years. Believe me i'd probably be the first to get screwed when privatised as I haven't even got a year under my belt. That's why when i joined RM i decided to go back to uni, as with all this privatisation talk i really didn't see a future in the job like there probably was in the past.UnhappyGremlin wrote:If privatised, seniority will be the least of our worries.JiminyBillyBob wrote:I've only got 1 year of RM to get through then i'm off to uni, but if privatisation happens who's to say that the seniority system will still be in place anyway?UnhappyGremlin wrote:But in 20 years time, assuming you're still at RM, will your opinion be the same? Everybody has been through it, it is one of the only real benefits of long term service left.JiminyBillyBob wrote:I loved my training round, even though it was one of the biggest walks in the office, I hate having to be on a different walk every day/week, why can't they just leave everyone on a walk? it would probably mean less complaints and overtime being paid out. It sucks that the guys that have been there 20 odd years will always get first pick when walks become available
And thanks for showing concern for your colleagues who have no choice but to stay and get screwed.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
Apexs
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 21 Apr 2013, 20:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Seniority!
we used it still for our resign over 12 months ago, but before that we was told it didn't exists anymore, but i guess no one has come up with anything better to put in place