Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay embezzled cash
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-22217643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A former Royal Mail worker who admitted embezzling £45,000 has had her sentence deferred again to allow her more time to repay the cash.
Angela Doran, 38, took packages from a sorting office in Glasgow's Springburn area to fund a lavish lifestyle.
Sentence was deferred at Glasgow Sheriff Court in January to give her time to raise cash by selling her home.
Sheriff Kenneth Mitchell made a further deferral until next month after hearing there is still a shortfall of £21,000.
The additional time will help establish who exactly the money should be repaid to and to allow Doran to sell her other assets, including a car and jewellery.
'Direct surveillance'
Doran, from East Kilbride, was caught mid-shift on 14 July 2010 with a parcel containing £2,000 in her dungarees.
The court had previously heard that she had used stolen money to fund a lavish lifestyle of designer clothes and shoes.
Doran, who started working for the Royal Mail in 1991 but resigned after the investigation, was caught following "direct surveillance".
She subsequently admitted embezzling two special delivery packages totalling £4,500 on the day she was caught.
Doran also admitted embezzling a further 18 packages totalling £39,150 between 1 May 1 2008 and 15 July 2010 at the Glasgow Royal Mail Centre in Springburn.
She had targeted special delivery packages of cash sent from remote post offices in Scotland that went through the sorting office in Glasgow before being forwarded on to the Glasgow Cash Centre.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay
at last a decent sentence losing your home
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay
And yet well have to pay for her new home because I doubt she'll get a decent job to be able to pay for rental.........I just don't see how it punishes her and benefits society.bringon4dayweeks wrote:at last a decent sentence losing your home
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay
No matter what, she commits the crime, gets 'punished', and then it still costs the taxpayers a fortune because she will find it hard to get a job, and will likely have no home to live in, so we have to pick up that bill too. 
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay
it will do would you like losing a home youve paid good money for ?DGP1 wrote:And yet well have to pay for her new home because I doubt she'll get a decent job to be able to pay for rental.........I just don't see how it punishes her and benefits society.bringon4dayweeks wrote:at last a decent sentence losing your home
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay
I wouldn't. But I also don't want to pay her way now either.bringon4dayweeks wrote:it will do would you like losing a home youve paid good money for ?DGP1 wrote:And yet well have to pay for her new home because I doubt she'll get a decent job to be able to pay for rental.........I just don't see how it punishes her and benefits society.bringon4dayweeks wrote:at last a decent sentence losing your home![]()
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay
If I lost my home but got another one for free from the government (well, not for free but you know what I meanbringon4dayweeks wrote:it will do would you like losing a home youve paid good money for ?DGP1 wrote:And yet well have to pay for her new home because I doubt she'll get a decent job to be able to pay for rental.........I just don't see how it punishes her and benefits society.bringon4dayweeks wrote:at last a decent sentence losing your home![]()
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
arnold cheshire
- Posts: 5309
- Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
- Gender: Male
- Location: england
Re: Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay
we would pay the way for any convicted criminal when they come out of jail anyway .UnhappyGremlin wrote:I wouldn't. But I also don't want to pay her way now either.bringon4dayweeks wrote:it will do would you like losing a home youve paid good money for ?DGP1 wrote:And yet well have to pay for her new home because I doubt she'll get a decent job to be able to pay for rental.........I just don't see how it punishes her and benefits society.bringon4dayweeks wrote:at last a decent sentence losing your home![]()
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay
Not if I were PM.bringon4dayweeks wrote:we would pay the way for any convicted criminal when they come out of jail anyway .UnhappyGremlin wrote:I wouldn't. But I also don't want to pay her way now either.bringon4dayweeks wrote:it will do would you like losing a home youve paid good money for ?DGP1 wrote:And yet well have to pay for her new home because I doubt she'll get a decent job to be able to pay for rental.........I just don't see how it punishes her and benefits society.bringon4dayweeks wrote:at last a decent sentence losing your home![]()
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay
http://news.stv.tv/scotland/226254-spri ... for-shoes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Royal Mail worker stole nearly £45,000 and used the money to buy pairs of designer shoes.
Angela Doran took parcels from the sorting office in Glasgow's Springburn to fund her spending habits.
The 39-year-old admitted to embezzling a total of 20 packages dating back to May 2008. Sentencing was repeatedly deferred for Doran to repay the stolen sum.
She was given time by Sheriff Kenneth Mitchell to sell her home as well as other assets including her car and jewellery.
Doran was given a community payback order, involving 225 hours of unpaid work, when she returned to Glasgow Sheriff Court on Tuesday.
The postal worker stole cash packages sent from remote post offices to the Glasgow Royal Mail Centre in Springburn. The court heard it was easy for workers at the centre to spot the parcels which contained money.
Bosses at the facility knew cash was going missing and had Doran under surveillance when she was caught while on a night shift.
She was seen taking two of the packages and putting them aside. One parcel was hidden in her dungarees when a Royal Mail investigator approached her.
As well as searching Doran's home in East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire, investigators checked her bank accounts. They found she had made large deposits on days when parcels had been stolen.
A search of Doran's home revealed several designer goods including shoes with £300 price tags on the boxes. She earned around £12,000 a year at the time.
Prosecutor Deborah Carroll told the court: "It was quite clear that the accused appeared to be living beyond her means." Doran had been working at the Royal Mail since 1991, but resigned after the investigation.
A Royal Mail worker stole nearly £45,000 and used the money to buy pairs of designer shoes.
Angela Doran took parcels from the sorting office in Glasgow's Springburn to fund her spending habits.
The 39-year-old admitted to embezzling a total of 20 packages dating back to May 2008. Sentencing was repeatedly deferred for Doran to repay the stolen sum.
She was given time by Sheriff Kenneth Mitchell to sell her home as well as other assets including her car and jewellery.
Doran was given a community payback order, involving 225 hours of unpaid work, when she returned to Glasgow Sheriff Court on Tuesday.
The postal worker stole cash packages sent from remote post offices to the Glasgow Royal Mail Centre in Springburn. The court heard it was easy for workers at the centre to spot the parcels which contained money.
Bosses at the facility knew cash was going missing and had Doran under surveillance when she was caught while on a night shift.
She was seen taking two of the packages and putting them aside. One parcel was hidden in her dungarees when a Royal Mail investigator approached her.
As well as searching Doran's home in East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire, investigators checked her bank accounts. They found she had made large deposits on days when parcels had been stolen.
A search of Doran's home revealed several designer goods including shoes with £300 price tags on the boxes. She earned around £12,000 a year at the time.
Prosecutor Deborah Carroll told the court: "It was quite clear that the accused appeared to be living beyond her means." Doran had been working at the Royal Mail since 1991, but resigned after the investigation.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
crammypostie1
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 31 Mar 2013, 21:45
- Gender: Male
- Location: Cumbria
Re: Fraudster Angela Doran given more time to repay
would love for these workers to sign up to this site and give us an explination to there side of events lol, then we can throw rotten tomatoes at them haha