ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Seniority!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority!

Post by chrisj »

DICK43 wrote:How is it possible that a walk that has always been classed as full time, suddenly be altered to part time status so that as a full timer I won`t be able to sign for it?, I`ve been taking it for 15 months ever since the guy that was signed to it got suspended and I have built up a rapport with my customers , the walk is exactly the same size as any in the office 3.30 to 4 hrs long, our union rep is part time and seems to only help causes that further this own agenda, I`m fed up!.
In the revision and as regards P&L and paired working, duties have become classified as full-time and part-times regardless of what the duty was previously. All that changes is whether it is done by a 39hr FT (who either does IPS or throw out the or a second walk), 32 hr or a 25/27hr posties.

I presume that you have had a revision. There must be other duties to sign for...
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority!

Post by Barbel »

Not sure if it exists in our office, but I'm a newbie and have been on the same walk for about 7 weeks now. I know there are people who have been there 10yrs plus and do a different one every day.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority!

Post by chrisj »

Barbel, seniority does exist in every office. However, there are some jobs that some people do not want or there are managers that do not put vacant jobs up for repick. Pre-revision, most offices have what they refer to as training round. Some new starters stay on training rounds for about 12 weeks to 6 months depending on the office.

We had a new starter stay on his training round for 2 years and now he has his own walk following Revision and a general office Repick: the bloke was a 24 hr with family considerations, we changed managers while he was about 8 months and afterwards we went P&L and now he has a walk. Seniority is still there but things have changed a bit :cuppa
Last edited by chrisj on 16 Apr 2013, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
JiminyBillyBob
Posts: 177
Joined: 26 Jun 2012, 21:06
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority!

Post by JiminyBillyBob »

I loved my training round, even though it was one of the biggest walks in the office, I hate having to be on a different walk every day/week, why can't they just leave everyone on a walk? it would probably mean less complaints and overtime being paid out. It sucks that the guys that have been there 20 odd years will always get first pick when walks become available
crammypostie1
Posts: 187
Joined: 31 Mar 2013, 21:45
Gender: Male
Location: Cumbria

Re: Seniority!

Post by crammypostie1 »

JiminyBillyBob wrote:I loved my training round, even though it was one of the biggest walks in the office, I hate having to be on a different walk every day/week, why can't they just leave everyone on a walk? it would probably mean less complaints and overtime being paid out. It sucks that the guys that have been there 20 odd years will always get first pick when walks become available
You will find its the most useless staff in the office that get the best duties, the staff that play the system
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Seniority!

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

JiminyBillyBob wrote:I loved my training round, even though it was one of the biggest walks in the office, I hate having to be on a different walk every day/week, why can't they just leave everyone on a walk? it would probably mean less complaints and overtime being paid out. It sucks that the guys that have been there 20 odd years will always get first pick when walks become available
But in 20 years time, assuming you're still at RM, will your opinion be the same? Everybody has been through it, it is one of the only real benefits of long term service left.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
bunkerland
Posts: 546
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority!

Post by bunkerland »

JiminyBillyBob wrote: It sucks that the guys that have been there 20 odd years will always get first pick when walks become available
I think it's worth remembering that these guys were getting the last pick of duties when they started 20 odd years ago! :roll:
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority!

Post by OnAFlyer »

bunkerland wrote:
JiminyBillyBob wrote: It sucks that the guys that have been there 20 odd years will always get first pick when walks become available
I think it's worth remembering that these guys were getting the last pick of duties when they started 20 odd years ago! :roll:
And when your back is f*cked, knees are f*cked and everything else is f*cked, about the only thing keeping you able to work is the fact you can pick an 'easier' duty.

20 years gets you nothing in my office, I've done 16 and am only 50th on the seniority list :crazy:
motch
Posts: 332
Joined: 08 May 2008, 23:19
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority!

Post by motch »

can we use seniority for all jobs? I started work doing a paper round in the 80's :crazy: :nana
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority!

Post by chrisj »

That is the beauty of the current system - paired working & P&L...

The seniority aspect and associated easier rounds has diminished slightly. Seniority is still used for Repicks and there are still easier/more desirable rounds but a postie with 2 years experience can now have a walk and a senior member/ft will have to work with a part timers...

I can understand some postie saying that they started with hard rounds but those were the days - things were relatively easier then (and there was plenty OT etc). The job has changed; we cannot go back to days of very unfair working practices, even if one has sympathy for tired limbs and minds.

The job should be fair for all! We work (do exactly the same job) we get paid, the more years you have worked the bigger your pension and lump sum when you leave.
ziggy
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male
Location: Back o Beyond

Re: Seniority!

Post by ziggy »

What about if you are very senior on the repick list but contracted as a part timer? (Been working temp full time for years)

Since there will be a full time job available , where should I be on the repick list ?
Ziggy
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority!

Post by chrisj »

ziggy wrote:What about if you are very senior on the repick list but contracted as a part timer? (Been working temp full time for years)

Since there will be a full time job available , where should I be on the repick list ?

From experience of our office: your seniority still counts in terms of a general repick but you get an even better choice if you were to pick a part-time duty; because you are likely going to be very senior amongst the part-timers.

If you go for the available FT contract, and then you will have to find your rank amongst other full-time staff. That really depends on how many FT duties are there compared to FT staff.
ziggy
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male
Location: Back o Beyond

Re: Seniority!

Post by ziggy »

chrisj wrote:
ziggy wrote:What about if you are very senior on the repick list but contracted as a part timer? (Been working temp full time for years)

Since there will be a full time job available , where should I be on the repick list ?

From experience of our office: your seniority still counts in terms of a general repick but you get an even better choice if you were to pick a part-time duty; because you are likely going to be very senior amongst the part-timers.

If you go for the available FT contract, and then you will have to find your rank amongst other full-time staff. That really depends on how many FT duties are there compared to FT staff.
In our office there have made two lists, one for F/T and one for P/T. Despite the fact that a fair few part time are senior to full time and have been doing temp full time for years and despite there actually being enough full time jobs to go around. I don't see why in this case seniority should be lost.

Seems that they are making up the rules to suit themselves
Ziggy
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority!

Post by chrisj »

I think this is more to do with lack of information from either your DOM and/or Union Rep.

Your seniority is not affected regardless of whether they put up 2 separate lists of PTs and FTS. I assume when it comes to picking they can either go down a straightforward seniority list or they can do the two lists in tandem; the latter will make things quicker, I presume.

The only issue for you is whether you have actually been made up to FT contract. The fact that you have been temping as a FT staff is not material, the job will be made available and will be filled on the 'old' seniority rules.

My reply above is based on the assumption that there a certain number of FT and PT roles, and some others in between... 39, 32.5, 27.5, 24 hrs (3 days), 35 hours, floating duties over 5 and floating duties over 4 days, Rurals, Firms and late/driver/lock up.
bunkerland
Posts: 546
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 21:40
Gender: Male

Re: Seniority!

Post by bunkerland »

chrisj wrote:I understand some postie saying that they started with hard rounds but those were the days - things were relatively easier then

The job should be fair for all! We work (do exactly the same job) we get paid, the more years you have worked the bigger your pension and lump sum when you leave.
I'm not sure saying the job was easier years ago is as clear cut as some folk might think,for sure years ago there was much more lax time in the job but then again it was 41 1/2 hours not 39. The mail arrived loose loaded and all had to be cut and tipped,then there's carrying the bags,weights didn't seem to be such a big h+s issue then,you used to haul around some ridiculously heavy bags. Now.....a wander round with a trolley,if you choose(most don't)cannae be that bad,surely?

As for seniority picking first? I thought it was a reasonable way to do it when i first started and i still think the same. What's not fair of course,is if rounds are unequal. But why would you make up and vote in unequal duties,i'm not saying it's possible to them absolutely equal but surely possible to get near. Do most offices not plan their own duties or change them when they're seen to be unfair,we have over the years in our office.

Out of interest,what are people's alternatives to picking by seniority?