ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Darren Bent wrote:I don't think I got time for another job but I would love to be paid to go to parties and take photos as it should be good fun.

:hmmmm I'll bear that in mind when I get my first commission :whistle
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by Lincox »

Only part time, but have been doing a few gardens last 7 years. Very good money ranging from £8 an hour to £12.50 per hour. If you do a good job and know what you are doing you are never short of work. Every year I get new referrals without having to ask or advertise. Why do I retain job at Royal Mail? Because come November through to March there is no gardening work. If there was, I would have left a few years ago.
jw1234
Posts: 76
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by jw1234 »

Lincox wrote:Only part time, but have been doing a few gardens last 7 years. Very good money ranging from £8 an hour to £12.50 per hour. If you do a good job and know what you are doing you are never short of work. Every year I get new referrals without having to ask or advertise. Why do I retain job at Royal Mail? Because come November through to March there is no gardening work. If there was, I would have left a few years ago.

Hey, good to hear. Any more tips? How to get the business in the first place? How do I go about pricing myself? Cheers :dance
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Speaking personally the full monty is £30 extras cost more of course :angel I would imagine gardening in the nude would be at a premium - I mean there is a bloke who does the naked cleaner or butler so why not go for it - just be careful with those pruners.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by Lincox »

I started doing jobs for Age Concern, who paid me and I collected there bill from the householder. My cut was not very good, so after a year I went private. What experience do you have in gardening? Many old folk will have their own tools for you to use, but it,s worth having some decent equipment of your own, because often their tools are blunt and make hard work. I would put an advert in your car window and in local shops and let all of your friends, neighbours etc know what you are doing. Don,t take on too much first of all. Take your time, do a neat job and make sure you tidy up well after. Good luck if you decide to do it. There are plenty of folk out there who cannot do it because of their age or disability, and plenty of others who either hate gardening or don,t have the time. When you get a couple of jobs, put a board outside the house you are working on. You will be surprised at the number of people that will stop and ask if you are able to do work on their gardens.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by Darren Bent »

if you got a decent bonus and a paying job invest some money in gardening tools to make workload easier and then a decent lawnmower. (As long you got space in your car/van for it)
jw1234
Posts: 76
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by jw1234 »

dvbuk55 wrote:Speaking personally the full monty is £30 extras cost more of course :angel I would imagine gardening in the nude would be at a premium - I mean there is a bloke who does the naked cleaner or butler so why not go for it - just be careful with those pruners.

I'm not sure if its a sight anyone would pay too see! :nana
jw1234
Posts: 76
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by jw1234 »

Lincox wrote:I started doing jobs for Age Concern, who paid me and I collected there bill from the householder. My cut was not very good, so after a year I went private. What experience do you have in gardening? Many old folk will have their own tools for you to use, but it,s worth having some decent equipment of your own, because often their tools are blunt and make hard work. I would put an advert in your car window and in local shops and let all of your friends, neighbours etc know what you are doing. Don,t take on too much first of all. Take your time, do a neat job and make sure you tidy up well after. Good luck if you decide to do it. There are plenty of folk out there who cannot do it because of their age or disability, and plenty of others who either hate gardening or don,t have the time. When you get a couple of jobs, put a board outside the house you are working on. You will be surprised at the number of people that will stop and ask if you are able to do work on their gardens.

Great thanks for the advice, will look into Age Concern as I'd like to get the experience there first. Thanks!
thechemisyshop
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 156
Joined: 09 Oct 2011, 20:33
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by thechemisyshop »

about 7 years ago i opened up my own Computer Shop,, this was back when the latest finish was about 1.30 pm i could go in and do a nice wee 4 hour shift ,, but about 2 years ago it got to the point i wasn't getting in till 4pm and was having to stay back late till about 8pm every night ,, i had cover for the mornings but it became impossible to sustain all these hours ,,now i just do the work from home and pick and choose who i work for ,,its a lot easier these days
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

To be honest, I do my best not to work at RM, so why would I want another job? :Very Happy
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
newtimes
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 595
Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by newtimes »

Remember to inform the taxman (might of changed but it was a straight off fine of £100 a few years ago), keep simple books, I use Ubuntu (operating system) and GnuCash Finance Manageement, all open software so can be free, a donation keeps it going. Keep above the law, it is genually worth the effort and in bad years you can claim tax back from the tax you paid in your RM job. Keep within the tax law, keep all paperwork and do your books reguarly. You have to pay a national stamp too, Class 4 ?, BUT you can get an excemption, just inform them and give the required info. Do not be embarriesd if you make a genuine loss every year and have to claim tax back, you are just off setting it against the other part of the business, your RM job.
roysamways
Posts: 2
Joined: 16 Apr 2013, 21:26
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by roysamways »

I work as a retained firefighter recall for 100 hrs a week.I'm not allowed to be on call whilst posting so I guess this is a second job :Boo hoo!
jw1234
Posts: 76
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by jw1234 »

newtimes wrote:Remember to inform the taxman (might of changed but it was a straight off fine of £100 a few years ago), keep simple books, I use Ubuntu (operating system) and GnuCash Finance Manageement, all open software so can be free, a donation keeps it going. Keep above the law, it is genually worth the effort and in bad years you can claim tax back from the tax you paid in your RM job. Keep within the tax law, keep all paperwork and do your books reguarly. You have to pay a national stamp too, Class 4 ?, BUT you can get an excemption, just inform them and give the required info. Do not be embarriesd if you make a genuine loss every year and have to claim tax back, you are just off setting it against the other part of the business, your RM job.

All so confusing. Has to be done i suppose :sad:
jw1234
Posts: 76
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by jw1234 »

roysamways wrote:I work as a retained firefighter recall for 100 hrs a week.I'm not allowed to be on call whilst posting so I guess this is a second job :Boo hoo!

Do you get paid for that? Also I assume it would be a good stepping-stone to become a firefighter?
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Does anyone here work another job after their round?

Post by TheCobra »

Bollocks to working another job, how much energy have some of you guys got, I'm knackered at the end of my shift, only thing I'd do would be something non-physical, couldn't imagine going doing some gardening after my walk.