ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

changing duty hours from 35 to 20

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
pop it in pete
Posts: 351
Joined: 09 Jun 2007, 23:03
Location: lazy town

Re: changing duty hours from 35 to 20

Post by pop it in pete »

Just a thought but shouldnt your rep be using the MTFS agreement to identify in a organised way those that are eligable for buy downs? This point may have been raise previously if so sorry.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: changing duty hours from 35 to 20

Post by chrisj »

I suppose if a postie wants a buy-down in an office where they are overstaffed, then that might be looked at favourably. However, to expect a buy-down after a revision and during a repick is not likely going to get a good response... Just my thought!

I have a feeling that the Royal Mail is in a more powerful position following modernisation - we have accepted the change, taken the money and now they know they can push even more in the knowledge that those that do not like things will have to put up or leave.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: changing duty hours from 35 to 20

Post by dvbuk55 »

pop it in pete wrote:Just a thought but shouldnt your rep be using the MTFS agreement to identify in a organised way those that are eligable for buy downs? This point may have been raise previously if so sorry.
I think it would depend on the number of overall hours required on the revision, which again would depend on whether vacancies had been filled or if you were carrying some hours on overtime or short term contracts. I haven't heard of buy downs for a while - It was quite a while ago when I got it - I'd just turned 59 and it was exactly 7 years ago. What surprised me was the fact that I would have retired in Dec at 60, they paid me close to 11k and I then took my pension and lump sum at 60 and having gone from 40 to 25 hours has enabled me to continue to work. I consider myself quite fortunate.