ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Leeds or Bradford? 'Change my postcode' plea

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Leeds or Bradford? 'Change my postcode' plea

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-5564033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tajinder and Sukhy Uppal are spearheading a campaign to get their Bradford postcode changed to a Leeds one.

The couple live in Tyersal, which has a BD4 postcode.

But they and their neighbours pay their taxes to Leeds City Council.

However when, as a recent new arrival in the area, Mrs Uppal wanted to register with a doctor in Pudsey, she was told she couldn’t because of her Bradford postcode. She feels this is unfair.

The area has been the subject of historic boundary changes. It joined Bradford in 1882 but became part of the Leeds metropolitan district in 1974.

Pudsey MP Stuart Andrew is backing the Uppals and their neighbours in their campaign, and is lobbying Royal Mail - which dictates postcodes - on the issue.

Mrs Uppal, 34, said: “We pay our rates to Leeds but have a Bradford postcode.

“This causes us problems when we want to use Leeds services.

“By rights we should be LS27. Royal Mail has caused this issue but they won’t change it.”

Postcodes are set by Royal Mail and are used as an operational tool to help with deliveries. They have little to do with official council boundaries, but can often dictate house prices and car insurance premiums.

Tyersal is only a couple of miles from Bradford proper, but eight miles from Leeds central.

A quick search on the Zoopla website reveals a three-bedroom semi-detached house in the BD4 postcode for sale for £89.000. A similar house in LS27 retails for close to £140,000.

MP Mr Andrew said he “absolutely” supports the bid, adding: “I know how frustrating it is”.

He said he is now hoping to gather anecdotal evidence from residents and will present a dossier to the postal operator.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Leeds or Bradford? ‘Change my postcode’ plea

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

I expect RM will listen to them about as much as they listen to their own employees. The postcode will only be changed if RM feel like it, and can actually be bothered, and if they do change it, will probably take months about it.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Leeds or Bradford? 'Change my postcode' plea

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Postcodes and council boundaries are two totally unrelated things and, as far as I am aware, Royal Mail has NEVER changed postcodes for such a reason as this and never will do. :Very Happy
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: Leeds or Bradford? ‘Change my postcode’ plea

Post by Tman »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:I expect RM will listen to them about as much as they listen to their own employees. The postcode will only be changed if RM feel like it, and can actually be bothered, and if they do change it, will probably take months about it.
Why should they change anything? RM don't set boundaries for cities etc, and if a surgery chooses to use post codes as a means of defining patients' areas,why would RM get involved if someone's run whining to the local media because they can't get into the surgery they want?
More of an issue for the local Health Authority, I'd say.
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Leeds or Bradford? ‘Change my postcode’ plea

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

Tman wrote:
UnhappyGremlin wrote:I expect RM will listen to them about as much as they listen to their own employees. The postcode will only be changed if RM feel like it, and can actually be bothered, and if they do change it, will probably take months about it.
Why should they change anything? RM don't set boundaries for cities etc, and if a surgery chooses to use post codes as a means of defining patients' areas,why would RM get involved if someone's run whining to the local media because they can't get into the surgery they want?
More of an issue for the local Health Authority, I'd say.
Didn't say they would or should. Merely pointed out that IF they decided to it would take them ages.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
the beautiful bd south
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 336
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 20:48
Location: west riding of yorkshire

Re: Leeds or Bradford? 'Change my postcode' plea

Post by the beautiful bd south »

A quick search on the Zoopla website reveals a three-bedroom semi-detached house in the BD4 postcode for sale for £89.000. A similar house in LS27 retails for close to £140,000.

£89,000 for a 3 Bedroom semi would be an average price i Presume.
Not that bad really as BD4 contains one of the biggest council estates in the country Many of the houses on the estate now privately owned thanks to the right to buy sceme of the 80's/90's

Tyresal is absolutly now where near LS27 and if it had to take a Leeds postcode would surely be LS28.
The Only entrance/exit road to Tyresal Starts in BD4 (bradford council boundry)..
These People are just trying to raise the value of there house.
If they wasn't happy with the BD4 postcode why move there in the first place.
TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Leeds or Bradford? 'Change my postcode' plea

Post by TeeferTiger »

LS28 is Pudsey though (I used to work there). Gosh, I loved that huge ASDA.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Leeds or Bradford? 'Change my postcode' plea

Post by TeeferTiger »

Anyway, as for the doctors thing... I had to change GPs when I moved to this address I'm currently in, despite the fact that I'm actually nearer to the surgery now than I was at my old address.

This issue is purely because they want their house to be worth more and not be associated with Bradford (Bratfudd) which is, quite simply, a sh*thole :Very Happy Best thing to come out of Bratfudd is the M606.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
the beautiful bd south
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 336
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 20:48
Location: west riding of yorkshire

Re: Leeds or Bradford? 'Change my postcode' plea

Post by the beautiful bd south »

TeeferTiger wrote:LS28 is Pudsey though (I used to work there). Gosh, I loved that huge ASDA.
LS27 is Morley...
Tyresal is much closer to Pudsey than Morley was my point.

As for the Sh##hole comment..
The BD postcode area has a great deal of interesting and beautiful places to visit.
Look away from the negative press and give the city some credit.
TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Leeds or Bradford? 'Change my postcode' plea

Post by TeeferTiger »

the beautiful bd south wrote:
TeeferTiger wrote:LS28 is Pudsey though (I used to work there). Gosh, I loved that huge ASDA.
LS27 is Morley...
Tyresal is much closer to Pudsey than Morley was my point.

As for the Sh##hole comment..
The BD postcode area has a great deal of interesting and beautiful places to visit.
Look away from the negative press and give the city some credit.
I LIVED in Bradford! lol I feel I'm more than qualified to judge tyvm :Very Happy I was mainly referring to the centre, obviously there is surrounding countryside which is lovely and might still have a BD postcode, but the built up areas are horrible.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
the beautiful bd south
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 336
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 20:48
Location: west riding of yorkshire

Re: Leeds or Bradford? 'Change my postcode' plea

Post by the beautiful bd south »

As a resident of that sh##hole
I am sick of people slagging it off.
Yes is has had bad press over the years but people work very hard in the communities to make it a better place.
All for that hard work to be destroyed by people who all too quickly put the boot in.

Whats that saying again about If you cant say something nice........
TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Leeds or Bradford? 'Change my postcode' plea

Post by TeeferTiger »

the beautiful bd south wrote:As a resident of that sh##hole
I am sick of people slagging it off.
Yes is has had bad press over the years but people work very hard in the communities to make it a better place.
All for that hard work to be destroyed by people who all too quickly put the boot in.

Whats that saying again about If you cant say something nice........
And there's also a saying about honesty being the best policy. I can only comment on my experiences whilst living there. I had my car broken into several times-once when I'd only been gone about 30 seconds and returned to find some young scrote with a screwdriver in the passenger door lock, I had to call the police numerous times because of 'issues', there was a car set on fire outside the flat the first night I was there... Yeah, lovely place!
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?