Dundee post office time capsule delivers relics from the past
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/ ... st-1.82501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
A century-old time capsule containing historic relics has been uncovered — sitting in a Dundee delivery office.
The memorial was created by post office workers at the start of the First World War. Though it was supposed to be kept in the postmaster general’s office in the city’s Meadowside, over the years its significance was lost.
Nearly 100 years later, the wooden box was tracked down by 56-year-old Janice Kennedy as she researched her family history. Eventually, she traced it to Royal Mail’s Dundee East delivery office, where nobody knew just how important it was.
Janice, whose grandfather was a postman in Dundee during the war, said: “I read about the memorial in a diary that was passed down through my family.
“The book mentioned a poem written by the author’s brother called The Postman’s Shrine, that was put in the capsule.
“I next thought about it when I was going to the McManus Galleries and saw work was being done on the old post office building where it was kept.
“I went to ask what was going on but nobody could tell me. The building is owned by Dundee High School, so I asked them but they didn’t know where it was. I also asked in the museum, but they had never heard of it either.
“Then I asked a postman who, by luck, knew where the memorial was. I was just in the right place at the right time.
“He had no idea of its significance but it’s unique. When I saw the box, it looked quite small but it was so heavy I couldn’t lift it up.”
The memorial contains letters from soldiers on various battle fronts and photographs of Dundee men and women, as well as stamps and coins from the time.
The time capsule specifies that it is to be opened on August 4 next year — exactly 100 years after it was sealed.
Retired health visitor Janice said: “I hope we can find the descendants of the people who contributed to the memorial and that they can be present when it is opened.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Dundee PO time capsule delivers relics from the past
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Dundee PO time capsule delivers relics from the past
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
P13
- Posts: 1016
- Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Dundee PO time capsule delivers relics from the past
I think they found it amongst the backlog from Christmas 2010 or was it in the trolley graveyard
