First class stump: Postman gets his finger chopped off by letterbox
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol ... erbox.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ROOKIE postie Gary French told last night how his finger was horrifically sliced off after a letterbox snapped shut on his hand.
The 49-year-old was posting mail when the metal flap suddenly closed and mangled his digit, leaving him yelling in agony.
The tip came clean off and ended up on the other side of the door — but luckless Gary couldn’t get it back because the house was EMPTY.
Dad of three Gary had become distracted by a delivery driver asking for directions when the horror incident took place.
He said: “The courier came up to me thinking it was just my nail but saw the blood gushing out my finger.
“He said, ‘It’s your finger that’s off. I said, ‘Aye, I know’. I had a bandage in the van so as I did that, he started banging on the door to get my finger but no one was answering.”
Ex-stonemason Gary was on his rounds in West Linton, Peeblesshire, when the accident occurred.
Although he couldn’t get inside the property cops eventually managed to trace a home key and retrieved the right index finger — severed above the knuckle.
But medics at St John’s Hospital in Livingston were unable to reattach it — despite keeping it chilled before surgery.
Gary, from Peebles, said: “They hoped to sew it back on but because of the small blood vessels, it would be numb. So instead I got a local anaesthetic and the bone was filed down and the skin folded over.
“I’m off work for two weeks and the finger will be bandaged for a wee while.
“I’ve only been a postie for four months but it’s not put me off — I’ll just be more careful next time.” Gary is now recovering at home with wife Iris, 48, and their three daughters after the accident at lunchtime last Tuesday And he predicted it won’t be long before the wind-ups start from pals.
He joked: “I’m supposed to be delivering mail, not fingers. Folk have been sympathetic so far but I’m sure the jokes will come.
“I’ll probably get called Stumpy or something like that. Writing will be a challenge and it’s ruined my golf season.
“Holding a pint is going to be a bit different but I’m sure I’ll manage.”
Last night Royal Mail spokeswoman Sally Hopkins said: “We do all we can to minimise the risk of injury while our staff are out on deliveries. We hope Gary makes a speedy recovery.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman gets his finger chopped off by letterbox
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman gets his finger chopped off by letterbox
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Red Robbo
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 680
- Joined: 31 Jan 2012, 09:23
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman gets his finger chopped off by letterbox
Someone tell Gary to make a claim, only been with business four months, bet he has not been trained on delivery yet ?
-
ebbzie
- Posts: 660
- Joined: 14 Jun 2011, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman gets his finger chopped off by letterbox
Stage 1 awaits 
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Postman gets his finger chopped off by letterbox
And a counselling session. 
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
parcelboy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 206
- Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman gets his finger chopped off by letterbox
This managerial regime will probly wait for him to put a claim in then "Conduct" him for trespassing or "Wilful Delay ".Nothing would surprise me with these "Corrupt"Lying b******* 
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3349
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman gets his finger chopped off by letterbox
The machine stops.
-
crammypostie1
- Posts: 187
- Joined: 31 Mar 2013, 21:45
- Gender: Male
- Location: Cumbria
Re: Postman gets his finger chopped off by letterbox
lol dont matter what happens in this company. I got a stage for breaking my arm when a dog darted infront of me as i left a garden. Not my fault, it knocked me over and landed badly on my arm, was in a cast for 2 month and i got a stage lol. Asked the area manger why. He said procedure. I asked what would happen if i had say... got shot on my round.... he wouldnt answer the Q. I have known guys that have hernias etc, guys with fmily deaths, and even cancer... and they all got stages.... so in theory any time off gets a stage
-
chooch
- Posts: 323
- Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Postman gets his finger chopped off by letterbox
quote "Last night Royal Mail spokeswoman Sally Hopkins said:.. "..
She's everywhere is our Sally, got her finger on the pulse..

She's everywhere is our Sally, got her finger on the pulse..