ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Changing wheel
-
north london driver
- Posts: 560
- Joined: 18 Aug 2010, 21:51
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing wheel
in the latest agreement bob gibson signed off royal mail drivers should all be trainned into changing a wheel but remember that if there was a problem like a wheel not being on right and working lose you could be the one taken to court.any problems about changing wheels get in touch with bob gibson he seems to know it all.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Changing wheel
If at any point I'm instructed to change wheels, I will ask for it in writing, including a paragraph clearly stating I will not be held legally responsible for any damage to the van/third parties etc. And that it would not in any way stop me from making a claim. And all that after being officially trained. 
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
monkeymutha
- Posts: 317
- Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:00
- Gender: Female
- Location: At the bottom of the bottomless pit
Re: Changing wheel
Been told that if out on delivery and I get a flat tyre I am to change the wheel myself rather than call a manager out. Thing is I don't really know how to, been about 15 years since I changed a wheel. I always thought we were not supposed to do this.
-
Postal Postie II
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 19 Apr 2012, 16:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing wheel
I have no intention now or ever of changing a wheel.
I'm a postman NOT a mechanic!!!
I'm a postman NOT a mechanic!!!
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Changing wheel
As far as I'm aware, unless you have been trained by RM, you are not to do this. Ask for clarification, with the instruction in writing. There are H&S and legal implications of you changing tyres. I have been told by my manager NOT to change tyres under any circumstances.monkeymutha wrote:Been told that if out on delivery and I get a flat tyre I am to change the wheel myself rather than call a manager out. Thing is I don't really know how to, been about 15 years since I changed a wheel. I always thought we were not supposed to do this.
Let the RAC do it. It's what RM pay for. It would appear to me your boss is trying to save time/money by telling you to do this. You could be held liable for injuries to yourself and others, as well as damage to RM property/vehicles and third party property and vehicles. See your Rep too.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
motch
- Posts: 332
- Joined: 08 May 2008, 23:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing wheel
I know what your saying and i'm ok with changing my own wheels. Whats your plan of action though if it fails and someone dies/gets badly injured?97gaz wrote:Jesus. What the hells happening to this country. From the CWU health and safety bods in their cushy jobs taking away our flight of *three* steps because we're not trained to walk up steps to people who can't change a tyre in case they get it wrong.
It's easy. Loosen nuts,jack car up,swap wheel, put nuts on, lower jack, tighten nuts, put crap away and wash hands.
As opposed to. Panic,ring office,ring RAC because there's no one in the office,Wait two hours for RAC to come,act all sheepish while he's changing it because he's a man and you're not,Cut off and take all the mail your custoner has paid for back to the office.
Or. Panic . Ring your Mum to come and do it.
Just MTFU.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: Changing wheel
The point you are washing over is this: My boss has told me NOT to change tyres. And if I do, I will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal. I will also be held responsible for damages and/or injuries to myself, work colleagues and the public, and any lawsuits that result. I can change tyres. I will not when I will be thrown to the wolves for doing so.97gaz wrote:If they're not confident of changing a wheel then they could ask for some training. I'm guessing though that most of those saying they wouldn't do it, would change the wheel on their own car in a flash if they wanted to be somewhere in a hurry.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Changing wheel
Sorry but for a mature poster that is a foolish statement.97gaz wrote:Or. Panic . Ring your Mum to come and do it.
Its not about being macho and showing how easy it is to change a wheel. The simple fact is that if you injure yourself or make a mistake and someone else gets injured by your actions in performing mechanics on a RM Vehicle you will get suspended and most likely dismissed. .
Then you have to go home and face your family and try to explain the situation and the consequences.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: Changing wheel
97gaz wrote:krussel wrote:Sorry but for a mature poster that is a foolish statement.97gaz wrote:Or. Panic . Ring your Mum to come and do it.
Probably so. I maybe let my feelings get the better of me on that one.
I still stand by the sentiment though. I just get a bit ticked off at the health and safety frenzy overtaking this company and this country. If changing a tyre is so dangerous then perhaps we should ask the government to pass a law making it illegal to carry a jack and brace in all cars on the road just in case someone does it wrong. My kids were shown how to do it when I was teaching them to drive. I don't go out to check if they've done it right when they get home.
It's not just tyre changing either. Everything we do, every day, has a risk attached to it.
Lol. There's a video on youtube somewhere of a health and safety "consultant" who has come up with a device to stop you putting your hands in the dishwater and cutting yourself on the sharp chopping knife. What's wrong with just washing it last.
Yeah i do agree with you and your right we do live in a nanny state. My stepson at school was taught tag rugby where you had a cloth tucked in your shorts and when someone grabbed it you had to drop the ball
The trouble is with RM these days is that you have to be so careful not to put your job at risk. Esp as they would love to replace fulltime people with part.
We have to just play the game that they set and complete the job within the guidlines even if they are a bit ott.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
Brainache
- Posts: 394
- Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Changing wheel
We change our own wheels all the time, small office. Then send them to the garage on the wagon. If they dont turn up again within a few days we have to phone the lino who phones the garage to get them back to us. Never told not to do it.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Changing wheel
"wash hands"97gaz wrote:Jesus. What the hells happening to this country. From the CWU health and safety bods in their cushy jobs taking away our flight of *three* steps because we're not trained to walk up steps to people who can't change a tyre in case they get it wrong.
It's easy. Loosen nuts,jack car up,swap wheel, put nuts on, lower jack, tighten nuts, put crap away and wash hands.
As opposed to. Panic,ring office,ring RAC because there's no one in the office,Wait two hours for RAC to come,act all sheepish while he's changing it because he's a man and you're not,Cut off and take all the mail your custoner has paid for back to the office.
Or. Panic . Ring your Mum to come and do it.
Just MTFU.