ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Slow partner

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Slow partner

Post by Judgee »

I have a partner, runs around all the time. All his last partners became reserves cos they were fed up with him running around. NO wait, thats a crock of sheet cos I work to my time and are therefore not bothered one way or the other about how fast or slow my partner is! :nana
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Slow partner

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

I can understand if you aren't looking forward to the inevitable harassment from the manager if you tell him you're not willing to go past your time. It will happen, but it shouldn't. After a while of this happening, it is likely your boss will, for the most part, stop continually moaning as he/she will realise it is fruitless. Although, there will always be the occasional bout of whinging when they are struggling, or when they throw a moody. As long as you give plenty of notice they really have no right of complaint, though that rarely serves to stop them.

As for arranging travel back to the office, if you're not the driver of the pairing, then there are a couple of options. Ask the boss what he expects you to do, as in all likelihood he will ask the driver to complete your cut off, the driver could cut off and bring you back. He may moan, though if he like docket I can't see why, as it's more for him. If either says catch the bus, point out you'll have to leave more mail to allow time to walk to the bus stop/wait for the bus etc.

As for a slow/fast partner, either way it isn't your problem, and so I wouldn't let it bother you. I don't rush, but I don't drag my heals either. I just do. I follow the rules, do the job right, make sure I can't get pulled for anything. Whatever happens during my duty time, as long as the manager is kept informed, doesn't matter, I'm paid until a certain time, and after that I don't care. It's not my problem, and I won't let it stress me out. I don't get paid to worry or sort problems, managers do. Though they're useless at it.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
Regal
Posts: 132
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 13:34
Gender: Male
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Slow partner

Post by Regal »

I prefer working with the slow uns, gives me plenty of breaks sat in the van waiting for them to finish while i put the heater on listen to the radio etc. Then 30 mins before im due off we drive back to the depo bringing what we could complete back with us. Easy.
Tomorrow Never Knows
Pat Ostman
Posts: 2797
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 21:53
Gender: Male
Location: In the Line Managers office being screwed over.

Re: Slow partner

Post by Pat Ostman »

You really are a prat.
If someone has a different position to you please respect their right to have differing views, and enjoy yourself when picking holes in their position in a constructive way. We would much rather have a long winded well thought out argument, picking out weak points in someone's position, than have a thread full of 1 line insults.
Just curious Postman. Do you not abide by your own set of rules?
Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun.
And when at last the work is done. Don't sit down, it's time to dig another one
mandelsons_toenail
Posts: 1294
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:16
Gender: Male
Location: Outer Hebrides

Re: Slow partner

Post by mandelsons_toenail »

bensonhedge wrote:Get him tested and take him down the conduct code.If it gives you a buzz consider becoming the Dom.
:chuckle
jw1234
Posts: 76
Joined: 08 Dec 2011, 20:07
Gender: Male

Re: Slow partner

Post by jw1234 »

Pat Ostman wrote:
You really are a prat.
If someone has a different position to you please respect their right to have differing views, and enjoy yourself when picking holes in their position in a constructive way. We would much rather have a long winded well thought out argument, picking out weak points in someone's position, than have a thread full of 1 line insults.
Just curious Postman. Do you not abide by your own set of rules?
I don't see why everyone is surprised by this. Nearly every admin I have come across on the internet suffers from megalomania. Its why they become an admin... So they can feel above others and live by their own rules. Other ways to satisfy their illness can include becoming a: Manager; Bouncer; Policeman; Traffic warden, along with many other occupations.

What a 'prat.'

I will most likely be banned for this. Bye all.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32816
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Slow partner

Post by POSTMAN »

Fair call,I apologise for my comment and I shouldn't of made it.
Would appreciate it if no one threw a wobbler about it though and dropped me in it.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
hatetheboss
Posts: 191
Joined: 11 Jul 2009, 04:39
Gender: Male
Location: Back Of Beyond

Re: Slow partner

Post by hatetheboss »

jw1234 wrote:
Pat Ostman wrote:
You really are a prat.
If someone has a different position to you please respect their right to have differing views, and enjoy yourself when picking holes in their position in a constructive way. We would much rather have a long winded well thought out argument, picking out weak points in someone's position, than have a thread full of 1 line insults.
Just curious Postman. Do you not abide by your own set of rules?
I don't see why everyone is surprised by this. Nearly every admin I have come across on the internet suffers from megalomania. Its why they become an admin... So they can feel above others and live by their own rules. Other ways to satisfy their illness can include becoming a: Manager; Bouncer; Policeman; Traffic warden, along with many other occupations.

What a 'prat.'

I will most likely be banned for this. Bye all.
I think on reflection Postman would have explained his view in a different way however, He would I'm sure have said the same thing but in a more long winded, more thought out way. :Very Happy
They are coming to take us away
phronsias
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 207
Joined: 28 Oct 2011, 17:59
Gender: Male

Re: Slow partner

Post by phronsias »

UnhappyGremlin wrote:I can understand if you aren't looking forward to the inevitable harassment from the manager if you tell him you're not willing to go past your time. It will happen, but it shouldn't. After a while of this happening, it is likely your boss will, for the most part, stop continually moaning as he/she will realise it is fruitless. Although, there will always be the occasional bout of whinging when they are struggling, or when they throw a moody. As long as you give plenty of notice they really have no right of complaint, though that rarely serves to stop them.

As for arranging travel back to the office, if you're not the driver of the pairing, then there are a couple of options. Ask the boss what he expects you to do, as in all likelihood he will ask the driver to complete your cut off, the driver could cut off and bring you back. He may moan, though if he like docket I can't see why, as it's more for him. If either says catch the bus, point out you'll have to leave more mail to allow time to walk to the bus stop/wait for the bus etc.

As for a slow/fast partner, either way it isn't your problem, and so I wouldn't let it bother you. I don't rush, but I don't drag my heals either. I just do. I follow the rules, do the job right, make sure I can't get pulled for anything. Whatever happens during my duty time, as long as the manager is kept informed, doesn't matter, I'm paid until a certain time, and after that I don't care. It's not my problem, and I won't let it stress me out. I don't get paid to worry or sort problems, managers do. Though they're useless at it.
Good advice Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Slow partner

Post by Postie45 »

dont forget reimbursement for the bus ticket too ! (if the manager decides on this) :wink:
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Slow partner

Post by eastie »

People might say a postman is slow but he might be doing his job properly and might be helpful to his customers when they ask a question.
Too much rushing around these days , if he is finishing in his time and he is doing his job properly and doing it stress free whats the problem.
It wasn't him that chose to work as a pair on P/L
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: Slow partner

Post by DirtyHarry »

hatetheboss wrote:Just work to your time and go home, can't see a problem.
I second that.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Slow partner

Post by fishtank »

POSTMAN wrote:Fair call,I apologise for my comment and I shouldn't of made it.
Would appreciate it if no one threw a wobbler about it though and dropped me in it.

You bad. :so there
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Slow partner

Post by krussel »

fishtank wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:Fair call,I apologise for my comment and I shouldn't of made it.
Would appreciate it if no one threw a wobbler about it though and dropped me in it.

You bad. :so there

Naughty room me thinks. DGP1 has just put the kettle on :Very Happy :nana
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Slow partner

Post by krussel »

Back on thread. :wink:

Depends what you mean by slow, how slow is slow etc ?

For example i do the job by the book and my walk takes me 4hr 30 mins on ave. However a flyer in a car (pre revision office) will cut that down to just over 3hr 30 mins. A casual went out on it last week and took 8 hrs ! no frigging joke :left:

So the flyer thinks iam slow and i think the casual is slow. You get the point.

So how much slower is this poor bugger that people are having a go at. :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........