ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Lost/Stolen pda

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Lost/Stolen pda

Post by fishtank »

justdeno wrote:I once while doing collections lost the PDA retraced my steps found the PDA in the road :pray must have dropped it when getting back in the van. The worse part it was school run and cars and coaches must have missed it, I was soooo lucky :Very Happy
Saw one after a 40 tonne truck had driven over it.
It wasn't a pretty sight. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
justdeno
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
Gender: Female

Re: Lost/Stolen pda

Post by justdeno »

What you saw was what I imagined :shock: :shock:
bonou2vox
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 Aug 2012, 11:33
Gender: Male

Re: Lost/Stolen pda

Post by bonou2vox »

Just lost mine today drove aorund looking for it may have left it on top of the van or someones brick wall. Hopefully it will turn up not happy about it as i am usually careful with things. Hope i dont get a bollocking as never done it before.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Lost/Stolen pda

Post by fishtank »

bonou2vox wrote:Just lost mine today drove aorund looking for it may have left it on top of the van or someones brick wall. Hopefully it will turn up not happy about it as i am usually careful with things. Hope i dont get a bollocking as never done it before.
Do yourself a favour,if they haven't already done the fact finding don't mention the possibility of leaving it on the van roof or on a brick wall,by doing so you're admitting that you sometimes leave it on the van roof or on a brick wall...

You had it,then you didn't have it...those are the facts and how you came to not having it is a mystery to you...certainly not anything to do with negligence.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Lost/Stolen pda

Post by chrisj »

What is the problem with carrying the PDA in one's pocket?

I was working with/mentoring a new starter - I saw that he had his PDA on his trolley when I went to help him and when I was trying to help put a bag on the LWT. I told him it was not safe - later on; the PDA fell down - look on his face; and mine...

The next day - he came in a panic midway through delivery saying he could not find his PDA - we searched the van and then all the bags and discovered it later. I told him again to put it in his pocket, especially in his overcoat pocket as he was wearing one.

If the PDA ruins your trousers then order a new one - saves the hassle.

I also worked with an experience postie that left his PDA on top of the van... :Boo hoo!
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: Lost/Stolen pda

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

The problem with PDA's is they are too large and cumbersome, and certainly too big for my trouser pocket. Which, technically, should make it harder to leave them behind. But, you know, you've got a handful of mail or whatever, easy to be distracted and misplace one. And because you're logged into it, they'll always know who misplaced it.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Lost/Stolen pda

Post by chrisj »

I hear you! You said that PDA are too big for your trousers' pocket but we wear the same uniform and I have always had them in my pockets... Oh well!
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Lost/Stolen pda

Post by dvbuk55 »

chrisj wrote:I hear you! You said that PDA are too big for your trousers' pocket but we wear the same uniform and I have always had them in my pockets... Oh well!
It obviously depends what he has in his pocket compared to you chris :hmmmm
vigilante
Posts: 1155
Joined: 20 May 2007, 19:13
Gender: Male
Location: dangerously close

Re: Lost/Stolen pda

Post by vigilante »

She has admitted that she left the van unlocked and left it while delivering.
If it goes to fact finding after the initial 'chat' then it will be mentioned.

Has she had the driver's integrity of mail WTLL and signed it?
If not she can try to play the naaivity card.
With RM at the moment this sort of thing can go either way,

A. What your managers are like.
B. Who you are and the position of your conduct record.
C. What the DSM is like because these little pocket god's have got to have everything brought to them.
Always be one step ahead, play their game but be wiser. Revenge is sweet.
Dj Silver
Posts: 65
Joined: 14 Nov 2011, 10:45
Gender: Male
Location: Not sure my Sat Nav is down

Re: Lost/Stolen pda

Post by Dj Silver »

Okay, I'm a newbie but I NEVER leave the van unlocked. To be perfectly honest I can't understand people who do, all it is, is one press of the key fob to lock and one to unlock. It's not the old days of manual locks and putting keys in holes etc.

For the sake of a nano second you have complete peace of mind. Beyond me! :crazy:
Somebody called me a cult the other day, well I think that was what he said!