ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is defaced

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is defaced

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Royal Mail under investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is covered with racist graffiti before being resealed and delivered

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... paign=1490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guinder Kaur found her post had been opened before delivery last week
'Get out of my country you smelly P*** B******' had been added to letter
Scotland Yard is investigating while Royal Mail condemns the incident

Image
Disgraceful: A piece of post sent to Guinder Kaur was opened and had a racist insult scrawled at the bottom

Royal Mail is investigating today after a letter sent to an Asian nanny was opened, graffitied with a racist message, before being resealed and delivered in the post.

Guinder Kaur, 33, of Southall, west London, was shocked when she discovered the handwritten taunt: 'Get out of my country you smelly P*** B******' had been added with the National Front symbol and a Swastika scrawled below.

Scotland Yard is looking into the incident, and is understood to be working on the theory that it was probably opened while being handled by Royal Mail.

The letter is currently in hands of detectives, who are currently dusting it for finger prints, but have made no arrests.

The employment consultancy who sent the post also say it was opened and daubed with insults while in the hands of Royal Mail, before being resealed and processed for delivery.

'The racist comments were handwritten and we believe they were added to the letter after it had been mailed by our staff since the letter appears to have been opened and resealed prior to final delivery,' a company spokesman said.

The victim has asked that the business is not named and she has not been photographed for fear of reprisals.

'I noticed straight away that the letter had been opened before it got to me as the sticky part had come away,' Ms Kaur said.

Image
Hurtful: Guinder believes that somebody saw her name was Asian and took the opportunity to abuse her at random

'When I opened it I was taken aback by the message. It has caused a lot of shock for my family and friends but I am not so worried about it. I have to try to think that it was a one-off and completely random.

'Hopefully it was someone just having a bad day and that's the end of it. They probably saw my name is Asian and just did it.

'I know there have been cases where envelopes are opened and cash is taken from inside but I've never heard of anything like this. I would like to know if it has happened to others.

'I've not had any problems with racism in the past, I have even lived in areas where I was in the minority and there was nothing like this.'
Probe: Royal Mail and the the police are looking into the incident, and it is believed the letter may have been tampered with while being sorted

Royal Mail confirmed it is investigating the complaint, after the letter was delivered by one of its staff last Thursday.

'There is no room in Royal Mail for racism or any other form of discrimination. We are committed to investigating any complaint thoroughly.' a spokeswoman said.

A Met spokeswoman added: 'Police are investigating reports of racial harassment. There have been no arrests and enquiries are ongoing.'
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: RMinvestigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is cove

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Unbelievable that anyone could stoop to this - I guess they'll be expecting a P45 and a court summons any day now.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by fishtank »

Isn't it more likely it was misdelivered and then posted through her door later or re-introduced into the system?
For someone to take the risk of opening mail in the processing side and doing that without someone or a camera spotting it seems unlikely and for the OPG delivering it would be incredibly stupid.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by TeeferTiger »

fishtank wrote:Isn't it more likely it was misdelivered and then posted through her door later or re-introduced into the system?
For someone to take the risk of opening mail in the processing side and doing that without someone or a camera spotting it seems unlikely and for the OPG delivering it would be incredibly stupid.
I was wondering if it was perhaps misdelivered to a neighbour or something like that and then put back in the postbox...
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by DB1100 »

TeeferTiger wrote:
fishtank wrote:Isn't it more likely it was misdelivered and then posted through her door later or re-introduced into the system?
For someone to take the risk of opening mail in the processing side and doing that without someone or a camera spotting it seems unlikely and for the OPG delivering it would be incredibly stupid.
I was wondering if it was perhaps misdelivered to a neighbour or something like that and then put back in the postbox...
That wouldn't make the papers tho,much better to blame Royal mail,the office that handled that must have thousands of letters coming though with Asian names on and to take the time to do that is unbelievable,I go with your and fishtanks version.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Wessex
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1267
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 17:20

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by Wessex »

Must be a middle-aged person to use the typography of the national front with the n and f conjoined , I also notice the word 'of ' is missing from the sentence , which is a bit strange. The discursive handwriting might be an attempt at disguising handwriting .The fact that the writing is not in the rounded style that modern schooling produces suggest that the writer is quite old or was , potentially, educated outside of the UK.

I agree that the most likely scenario is that this letter has been misdelivered.I doubt however that the person who defaced the letter is actually a supporter of any racialist party but rather a mischievious member of the public /neighbour with a grudge.
Last edited by Wessex on 06 Mar 2013, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by stokes11eg »

:sad: Would agree it was probably a mis delivery. Many moons ago, I correctly delivered a letter to the house number, but it transpired the person it was meant fort was next door.
The neighbour must have opened it, then scrawled all over the front about how she had 'found' this letter in carrier bag ! Not funny,
martin the green
Posts: 157
Joined: 20 Jan 2012, 16:20
Gender: Male

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by martin the green »

i like the way that the sender automatically assumes it must have been royal mail :hmmmm
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

martin the green wrote:i like the way that the sender automatically assumes it must have been royal mail :hmmmm
more worryingly that Scotland Yard appear to have done the same if the above report is accurate - The DM accurate and unbiased :left: :left: :left: :left:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Parmy
Posts: 1
Joined: 10 Mar 2013, 03:26
Gender: Female

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by Parmy »

DB1100 wrote:
TeeferTiger wrote:
fishtank wrote:Isn't it more likely it was misdelivered and then posted through her door later or re-introduced into the system?
For someone to take the risk of opening mail in the processing side and doing that without someone or a camera spotting it seems unlikely and for the OPG delivering it would be incredibly stupid.
I was wondering if it was perhaps misdelivered to a neighbour or something like that and then put back in the postbox...
That wouldn't make the papers tho,much better to blame Royal mail,the office that handled that must have thousands of letters coming though with Asian names on and to take the time to do that is unbelievable,I go with your and fishtanks version.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the letter was posted by the employment consultant on Wednesday and it reached the recipient on Thursday (amazing, 1st class CAN work!), the very next day. Guinder saw all the post drop through the door as she was waiting for something else, so she knows the postman delivered all the mail together. Guinder then asked the postman on Friday if there was any chance he accidentally posted it to someone else and they then handed it back to him before he reached Guinder's house, but he said no.

So that is why the suspicions are now laid with RM.

How do I know all this? Guinder has posted on the DM website herself and was heard in an interview. And it helps that I know her. The police and RM would not be taking an investigation as seriously as they have if there was any suspicion of a mis-delivery and redelivery, as these are harder to find proof for. In this case, that couldn't have happened, which is why RM are looking into it.
Red Robbo
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 680
Joined: 31 Jan 2012, 09:23
Gender: Male

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by Red Robbo »

I totally agree with Wessex, the grammer of the offensive material suggest that they have been educated outside the UK, and the NF would not use RM to to promote their politics.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Red Robbo wrote:I totally agree with Wessex, the grammer of the offensive material suggest that they have been educated outside the UK, and the NF would not use RM to to promote their politics.
Sorry Robbo just a quick look round RMC and you would see such simple spelling errors and incorrect grammar is quite common- the Grammar Nazis don't jump on all of them.

Also I don't believe any has claimed that the NF are as an "organisation" responsible for this action.

It does seem from what has been posted that its the action of a single racist within Royal Mail, but if it is the result of collusion between colleagues then I hope all are caught and disciplined, sacked and prosecuted.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by Tman »

So that is why the suspicions are now laid with RM.
How do I know all this? Guinder has posted on the DM website herself and was heard in an interview. And it helps that I know her. The police and RM would not be taking an investigation as seriously as they have if there was any suspicion of a mis-delivery and redelivery,
Or maybe the police are trying to find out what actually did happen? Knowing someone and being "heard in an interview" doesn't account for anything.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but with all the millions of foreign names on millions of items of mail and they just happened to pick this one? Better to wait for the result of the inquiry.
Wessex
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1267
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 17:20

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by Wessex »

I still don't buy that this was done by a RM employee, if it was I would be amazed.It means that somebody,assuming the letter was sealed, would have had to steam the letter open ,add the graffiti and then

reseal the letter.

Frankly I don't buy it , the graffiti has been added to the bottom of the letter ,which means it would have to have been unfolded and then defaced. Based on this I would suggest that

it was done before it entered Royal Mail's pipeline as the customer does not think it was misdelivered. We also don't know if the collection from the agency was made by a third-party (DSA).
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Re: RM investigation after letter sent to Asian nanny is def

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

I think it will be quite difficult to find the culprit responsible. If it was a person connected with the place of origin (where it was sent from), then they could find out who it was quite easily. However, if it is an RM employee, it will be difficult. To collect finger prints from staff that may have handled the letter, which could number in the hundreds, in order to exclude them from the investigation, would be time consuming and expensive. Though this is no reason to not do it. Then there are civil liberties to take into account. If I was asked to provide finger prints to exclude me as a suspect, I would be willing, but would request they were destroyed afterwards.

I think the investiagtion should go all out to find out the person responsible, and they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Hopefully, it isn't an RM employee, and the company and staffs names will be cleared.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.