ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed for South Street snarl ups
http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/ ... 081225.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PARKING by Royal Mail workers outside Bishop’s Stortford’s main post office has been blasted as less than first class by angry residents who claim they are causing commuter chaos every morning.
Despite a special dispensation allowing them to stop on yellow lines while delivering or collecting mail, the postmen have been accused of blocking the traffic flow into the town centre.
Stuart Henderson, the former boss of North Street department store Pearsons, said on one occasion he saw six of the famous red vans parked outside the South Street branch causing problems during the morning rush hour.
He said: “When I reported it I was told by EHDC that they can park anywhere as they are on Queen’s business. When I suggested that if this meant blocking roads I was told ‘guess so’.
“Hence I am now going to dress my car up as a swan and park anywhere I like and when ticketed will say ‘I’m the Queen’s property, go away please!’.”
However, residents Jill Wade and Lindsey Trundle both said on the Bishop’s Stortford Civic Federation Facebook page they had seen East Herts civil enforcement officers (CEO) ticketing the vehicles.
Lindsey said: “When I walked past there were four parked up with tickets. Interesting to know how many tickets a week they receive and if/who actually pays them.”
Jill added: “I spotted a pair of blonde CEOs ticketing the mail vans. Seems being on HM business may not be a valid exemption after all.”
An East Herts District Council spokesman confirmed that legal provisions in Traffic Regulation Orders permit Royal Mail vans to park on yellow restrictions if they are engaged in exempt activities linked to the delivery and collection of post.
In January, it was revealed the South Street branch is to expand by opening a parcel collection office in the premises currently occupied by florist Bernard Chapman.
“Our Civil Enforcement Officers monitor parked Royal Mail vehicles, as they would any other vehicle apparently parked illegally, and a PCN may be issued if the vehicle is not believed to be involved in any exempt activity,” she said.
However, the authority was unable to provide figures for the number of tickets issued to Royal Mail by their wardens as the information is stored by registration number.
Apologising for the parking problems, Royal Mail spokeswoman Valerie Antoine said staff always aim to park safely and to minimise the disruption to other road users and pedestrians. “We are currently looking at options available including redevelopment,” she added.
http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/ ... 081225.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PARKING by Royal Mail workers outside Bishop’s Stortford’s main post office has been blasted as less than first class by angry residents who claim they are causing commuter chaos every morning.
Despite a special dispensation allowing them to stop on yellow lines while delivering or collecting mail, the postmen have been accused of blocking the traffic flow into the town centre.
Stuart Henderson, the former boss of North Street department store Pearsons, said on one occasion he saw six of the famous red vans parked outside the South Street branch causing problems during the morning rush hour.
He said: “When I reported it I was told by EHDC that they can park anywhere as they are on Queen’s business. When I suggested that if this meant blocking roads I was told ‘guess so’.
“Hence I am now going to dress my car up as a swan and park anywhere I like and when ticketed will say ‘I’m the Queen’s property, go away please!’.”
However, residents Jill Wade and Lindsey Trundle both said on the Bishop’s Stortford Civic Federation Facebook page they had seen East Herts civil enforcement officers (CEO) ticketing the vehicles.
Lindsey said: “When I walked past there were four parked up with tickets. Interesting to know how many tickets a week they receive and if/who actually pays them.”
Jill added: “I spotted a pair of blonde CEOs ticketing the mail vans. Seems being on HM business may not be a valid exemption after all.”
An East Herts District Council spokesman confirmed that legal provisions in Traffic Regulation Orders permit Royal Mail vans to park on yellow restrictions if they are engaged in exempt activities linked to the delivery and collection of post.
In January, it was revealed the South Street branch is to expand by opening a parcel collection office in the premises currently occupied by florist Bernard Chapman.
“Our Civil Enforcement Officers monitor parked Royal Mail vehicles, as they would any other vehicle apparently parked illegally, and a PCN may be issued if the vehicle is not believed to be involved in any exempt activity,” she said.
However, the authority was unable to provide figures for the number of tickets issued to Royal Mail by their wardens as the information is stored by registration number.
Apologising for the parking problems, Royal Mail spokeswoman Valerie Antoine said staff always aim to park safely and to minimise the disruption to other road users and pedestrians. “We are currently looking at options available including redevelopment,” she added.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
Fordian
08/03/2013 08:52
.and, when it was open, Pearsons' caused "chaos" when their customers parked in North Street.:) Pray tell where the Royal Mail vans are meant to park - when they've outgrown their tiny parking lot? I too, with dismay, have witnessed the sad daily game where the privatised Parking Wardens zealously issue ticket after ticket against the RM vans and wondered who the Hell pays for this charade? Never mind, when the "dilapidated" buildings opposite are demolished that should create more parking places - oh, unless yet more Flats are being planned. ;) Stuff even more people in, EHDC, they won't really need things like Postal Services!
50 and still breathing
08/03/2013 08:43
This daily stand off with the Royal Mail vehicles lining up for their parking tickets each morning has been going on for months. However, I don't necessarily feel that it is "causing commuter chaos" as your headline suggests. If the Royal Mail vehicles aren't illegally parked on that stretch of road, then it is Post Office, or doctor's surgery visitors that are parked on the same stretch. And what is likely to happen when the Royal Mail expand their opertaions into the current florist's shop? More visitors parking illegally I susepct. It is the same old problem of insufficient parking. I assume that EHDC and the town councillors feel it reasonable for Post Office customers to walk from the Jackson Square multi storey if they wish to tax their car or send a birthday card to Great Aunt Maud in Australia...I would much prefer to use the efficient helpful and polite service, when I can, of the Havers Lane sub post office. Oh yes, this is the next "Helfpul" suggestion of our local councillors, to allow Tesco to move close by and threaten this businesses existence....
08/03/2013 08:52
.and, when it was open, Pearsons' caused "chaos" when their customers parked in North Street.:) Pray tell where the Royal Mail vans are meant to park - when they've outgrown their tiny parking lot? I too, with dismay, have witnessed the sad daily game where the privatised Parking Wardens zealously issue ticket after ticket against the RM vans and wondered who the Hell pays for this charade? Never mind, when the "dilapidated" buildings opposite are demolished that should create more parking places - oh, unless yet more Flats are being planned. ;) Stuff even more people in, EHDC, they won't really need things like Postal Services!
50 and still breathing
08/03/2013 08:43
This daily stand off with the Royal Mail vehicles lining up for their parking tickets each morning has been going on for months. However, I don't necessarily feel that it is "causing commuter chaos" as your headline suggests. If the Royal Mail vehicles aren't illegally parked on that stretch of road, then it is Post Office, or doctor's surgery visitors that are parked on the same stretch. And what is likely to happen when the Royal Mail expand their opertaions into the current florist's shop? More visitors parking illegally I susepct. It is the same old problem of insufficient parking. I assume that EHDC and the town councillors feel it reasonable for Post Office customers to walk from the Jackson Square multi storey if they wish to tax their car or send a birthday card to Great Aunt Maud in Australia...I would much prefer to use the efficient helpful and polite service, when I can, of the Havers Lane sub post office. Oh yes, this is the next "Helfpul" suggestion of our local councillors, to allow Tesco to move close by and threaten this businesses existence....
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
There will be moaners wherever you go, if the Post Office and sorting decides to close and move away, those same moaners will be up in arms about loss of service
some people are just too self absorbed.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
SP115
- Posts: 178
- Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 17:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Location: Location
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
Hmm? We allowed to park where we want for real? (double yellows etc)..? I'm always taking ages trying to find a spot where I think I wont get a ticket, Have I been wasting my time? lolTrueBlueTerrier wrote: Despite a special dispensation allowing them to stop on yellow lines while delivering or collecting mail
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
“Hence I am now going to dress my car up as a swan and park anywhere I like and when ticketed will say ‘I’m the Queen’s property, go away please!’.”
Tit.
Tit.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32803
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
Parking guidelines here...
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=39011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=39011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
north london driver
- Posts: 560
- Joined: 18 Aug 2010, 21:51
- Gender: Male
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
it may not have been postman who were driving the vans.around christmas time north london managers were instructed to go to bishops stortford to help out on deliveries.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
Them same residents would be moaning if RM ever moved the DO out of town to an industrial estate
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
Is there a delivery office attached to it ?.. What's with the 6 vans crap then 
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12194
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
Looks like a Post Office attached to the front of a DO. Have a look at the latest google earth image (use the timeline button), I think they're a little short of parking space theremaisymoo04 wrote:Is there a delivery office attached to it ?.. What's with the 6 vans crap then
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
If you look at google map, you can that there is a big yard at the back of it.SpacePhoenix wrote:Looks like a Post Office attached to the front of a DO. Have a look at the latest google earth image (use the timeline button), I think they're a little short of parking space theremaisymoo04 wrote:Is there a delivery office attached to it ?.. What's with the 6 vans crap then
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
You'd think with a story like this, with that type of accusation, they would have at least gone to the trouble of taking a photo when the vans are parked outside. Or it could be it's not true.
It's more likely that the vans aren't parked at all, but merely waiting to turn into the yard at the rear. At busy times we can't always drive straight in.
It's more likely that the vans aren't parked at all, but merely waiting to turn into the yard at the rear. At busy times we can't always drive straight in.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
Looks full on the overhead thoughNWpostie wrote:If you look at google map, you can that there is a big yard at the back of it.SpacePhoenix wrote:Looks like a Post Office attached to the front of a DO. Have a look at the latest google earth image (use the timeline button), I think they're a little short of parking space theremaisymoo04 wrote:Is there a delivery office attached to it ?.. What's with the 6 vans crap then
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
Hate to be at the back

"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
-
Wessex
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1267
- Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 17:20
Re: A right Royal traffic jam as postal workers are blamed
Doesn't look like many vans for a town , have they had park and loop in Stortford yet ?