http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-21660269" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Royal Mail "collect it yourself" response to a complaint about delivery times in Ormskirk was "absolutely astonishing", a Lancashire MP said.
Rosie Cooper wrote to the Royal Mail about concerns a resident had about the time of day he was receiving his post.
The Labour MP for West Lancashire said the reply she received suggested a mail collection service was the only option.
A Royal Mail spokesperson said "they are unable to guarantee the exact time of delivery".
The letter from Moya Greene, Royal Mail chief executive, said Ormskirk delivery office had not gone through any recent operational change, but the management team "did revise their delivery methods some time ago".
Ms Greene said the changes introduced in Ormskirk as part of the Royal Mail's nationwide modernisation programme meant that some customers "experienced their mail being delivered at different times".
She said if was "imperative" the resident received his mail earlier, he had the option of setting up a mail collect service, allowing customers to "collect their own mail" free of charge.
Ms Cooper said: "In the 21st century, with the Royal Mail trying to compete with other private companies, then I think they need to be more responsive.
"I understand not everybody can get their mail very early in the morning, but businesses do rely on that mail getting in."
"I know the postmen do a grand job , but the way the system's organised has to be better in order for them to compete."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Rosie Cooper MP 'astonished' by Royal Mail delivery reply
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Rosie Cooper MP 'astonished' by Royal Mail delivery reply
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Rosie Cooper MP 'astonished' by Royal Mail delivery repl
I had a lady on my round ask if I could deliver her mail first because she ran a business from home.... Errr, no, you'll get it when I get there. There are numerous people all over the round who need their post early for whatever reason and I can't deliver them all first if I'm walking around a route now, can I? I even had a guy come into the office demanding the whole route where he lived was changed as it wasn't fair that people on one street always got their mail before his street did. I considered telling him to move house....
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
motch
- Posts: 332
- Joined: 08 May 2008, 23:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Rosie Cooper MP 'astonished' by Royal Mail delivery repl
TeeferTiger wrote:I had a lady on my round ask if I could deliver her mail first because she ran a business from home.... Errr, no, you'll get it when I get there. There are numerous people all over the round who need their post early for whatever reason and I can't deliver them all first if I'm walking around a route now, can I? I even had a guy come into the office demanding the whole route where he lived was changed as it wasn't fair that people on one street always got their mail before his street did. I considered telling him to move house....
Rather than have a -school catchment area- and boosting house prices in that area, we could have a -early post catchment area- for getting ahead in business and boosting house prices in those area too
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: Rosie Cooper MP 'astonished' by Royal Mail delivery repl
"Ms Cooper said: "In the 21st century, with the Royal Mail trying to compete with other private companies, then I think they need to be more responsive."
We ARE being responsive - we are delivering the mail for all of them - that is why it is late !!!
We ARE being responsive - we are delivering the mail for all of them - that is why it is late !!!
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
pinstripe
- Posts: 2474
- Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
- Gender: Male
- Location: 2 left turns from reality
Re: Rosie Cooper MP 'astonished' by Royal Mail delivery repl
rhino49 wrote:"Ms Cooper said: "In the 21st century, with the Royal Mail trying to compete with other private companies, then I think they need to be more responsive."
We ARE being responsive - we are delivering the mail for all of them - that is why it is late !!!
Absolutely superb!
-
Sidley
- Posts: 653
- Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 22:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Rosie Cooper MP 'astonished' by Royal Mail delivery repl
The recipient is either
a) running a business from home
B) a bell end
If the latter, he shouldn't be entertained in anyway whatsoever by his mp or RM and left to send incandescently angry green ink letters to the local free paper
If the former he should get the senders of his mail to use a time guaranteed service just like everyone other business whose post is time sensitive. What's that? They won't as it costs more? So you want the benefit of a timed service without cost? Sure, that sounds totally fair to everyone else.
Either he's got cojones like you wouldn't believe or a brain the size of a normal testicle.
a) running a business from home
B) a bell end
If the latter, he shouldn't be entertained in anyway whatsoever by his mp or RM and left to send incandescently angry green ink letters to the local free paper
If the former he should get the senders of his mail to use a time guaranteed service just like everyone other business whose post is time sensitive. What's that? They won't as it costs more? So you want the benefit of a timed service without cost? Sure, that sounds totally fair to everyone else.
Either he's got cojones like you wouldn't believe or a brain the size of a normal testicle.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Re: Rosie Cooper MP 'astonished' by Royal Mail delivery repl
I would like to know why the letters are so urgent it can't be waited for 4 hours or whatever. If there is any urgent business need dealing there is always e-commerce, phone, internet, email, and fax.
-
Wessex
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1267
- Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 17:20
Re: Rosie Cooper MP 'astonished' by Royal Mail delivery repl
Absolutely brilliant point Rhino. Someone should let her know.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Rosie Cooper MP 'astonished' by Royal Mail delivery repl
There was a woman on my round who's son was in Afghanistan and I altered my round so she got her son's bluey's before she went to work.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
speckledtangerine
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 18 Oct 2012, 16:01
- Gender: Male
Re: Rosie Cooper MP 'astonished' by Royal Mail delivery repl
Park & loop went live in our office recently. The amount of mail collects we've set up is frightening. I'd be pissed off too, particularly if i ran a business, if i got my mail at teatime instead of half eleven and the response is that this is progress.
That's the reality in this office.
That's the reality in this office.