bobthepostie wrote:We're in the same boat. Week 4 of revision starts tomorrow and not looking forward to it. Some of the duty's are far too big. Doesn't help when half the office are covering the problems by not using the LWT trolleys and still coming in early.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Bringing mail back to the office
-
chooch
- Posts: 323
- Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
-
Stella102
- Posts: 597
- Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
so let me get this straight.
if you can't complete delivery and you don't want OT then you do as follows:
1. Inform DOM that you can't complete after you have prepped? Does this include packets and re-directions, basically everything but tying up? What happens if you're part time and you start later and know for a fact you can't complete because no one has prepped your round. Do you still just continue knowing that you will piss the DOM of even more by delaying the fact you can't complete?
2. If he tells you to take it all out do you need written confirmation or a witness to this? Since you know you will be bringing mail back?
3. Do you leave what you think or let a DOM who has know clue tell you what to leave? And do you still take specials tracked etc for places you've left?
how can you not fall into the trap of wilful delay?
if you can't complete delivery and you don't want OT then you do as follows:
1. Inform DOM that you can't complete after you have prepped? Does this include packets and re-directions, basically everything but tying up? What happens if you're part time and you start later and know for a fact you can't complete because no one has prepped your round. Do you still just continue knowing that you will piss the DOM of even more by delaying the fact you can't complete?
2. If he tells you to take it all out do you need written confirmation or a witness to this? Since you know you will be bringing mail back?
3. Do you leave what you think or let a DOM who has know clue tell you what to leave? And do you still take specials tracked etc for places you've left?
how can you not fall into the trap of wilful delay?
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
Stella you do not inform your manager until you have bagged up and ready to leave the office. How would you know how much time you have left for delivery if you have not completed this task. The managers makes the decisions, you only need to inform him that in your opinion you will be unable to complete. Anything resulting from his decisions cannot be blamed on you, so the wilful delay scenario has no place if you work within the guidelines of the overrunning deliveries procedures.
-
chooch
- Posts: 323
- Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
just 'searched' overrunning deliveries procedures, thanks Lincox, and brought up this..
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... ff#p473509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I haven't read-it through yet but looks like this is an ongoing.. Only thing I'd add is make sure you've got your Rep or a trustworthy colleague as a witness..
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... ff#p473509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I haven't read-it through yet but looks like this is an ongoing.. Only thing I'd add is make sure you've got your Rep or a trustworthy colleague as a witness..
-
scorched
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
Ha, I told my Lino the other day that I'd be going slightly over, before 9 o'clock, not yet finished bagging up. I was told "you're not going over, you need to tell me by 8 o'clock so you can cut your prep and get out on time. I don't believe in extended delivery". I was not pleased, they agreed to pay me the 15 minutes in the end.Lincox wrote:Stella you do not inform your manager until you have bagged up and ready to leave the office. How would you know how much time you have left for delivery if you have not completed this task. The managers makes the decisions, you only need to inform him that in your opinion you will be unable to complete. Anything resulting from his decisions cannot be blamed on you, so the wilful delay scenario has no place if you work within the guidelines of the overrunning deliveries procedures.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
This is ridiculous. I start at 9:30 and usually have a nearly full frame. I have no idea if it's busy or slack, and no idea what time I will finish. The only sensible thing to do in my opinion, is to take out everything, work til my finish time and take back anything undelivered. Of course this isn't allowed, so wed - fri I leave packets and claim overtime. If and when I don't want the overtime, no idea what will happen.scorched wrote: Ha, I told my Lino the other day that I'd be going slightly over, before 9 o'clock, not yet finished bagging up. I was told "you're not going over, you need to tell me by 8 o'clock so you can cut your prep and get out on time. I don't believe in extended delivery". I was not pleased, they agreed to pay me the 15 minutes in the end.
-
scorched
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 17:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
I'm part time but throw off all my own mail, but a lot of the time the IPS is finished late. That's the only time I'll go over really, apart from on really heavy days. I'm on a firms delivery, so are the rules different for bringing back mail on a firms round?
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
All these shows is that offices operate differently and managers are very different... Hence, when some people here shout out that people should just cut-off, that blanket advice might not always be useful; local arrangements and operations have to be taken into account.
And sometimes, it is no use quoting CWU paperwork or Way Forward Agreements because some guidelines are open to interpretations.
My advice to the relatively new postie is to be well informed and to try to make sensible decisions wherever possible.
Some advice here might get some people into more trouble than might be necessary. Grow a pair is never a good advice, IMO.
And sometimes, it is no use quoting CWU paperwork or Way Forward Agreements because some guidelines are open to interpretations.
My advice to the relatively new postie is to be well informed and to try to make sensible decisions wherever possible.
Some advice here might get some people into more trouble than might be necessary. Grow a pair is never a good advice, IMO.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
if you dont know your offices procedure, id either ask asap and find out, or when the next time comes that you feel that you wont be able to complete delivery that day to inform the line manager as early as possible to allow them the opportunity of getting the problem fixed.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
Alright in principle, but the first question you will be asked is how much are you going to leave. It is impossible to even hazard a guess until you have completed ALL indoor work procedures. Also the first instinct of the majority of managers is that the fix is to disagree that you will go over and that you should complete due to falling mail volumes.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
I've had a stressy day today and unfortunately ended up bringing some mail back. I've been in the job now for 4 weeks and today I was left to my own devices and had to deliver on a walk I've not done before and in an area I'm not that familiar with. It didn't help either that the trolley I was using resembled a Tesco's trolley as one of the wheels was dodgy so I was pushing it with only 3 wheels going round. By the time 2.30 came (I'm meant to finish at 2) I started to make my way back to the DO which was a nightmare trying to push that damn thing. When I got back I told the manager I was unable to deliver it all and that I would go out in the van and get rid of some of the packets I didn't manage to deliver, the rest of it went back on the frame. I just hope tomorrow I don't get into trouble for not getting rid of it all. Not sure if it's normal for newbies to be sent out on blind walks on their own before being shown the round. I will say it's the most stressful day I've had so far with RM. 
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
I always claim the docket putting "EXT DEL NEW WALK" on the sheet - never been let down money-wise ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3371
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
I had the same experience when I started and got scolded for brining stuff back a few times (LM wouldn't listen before I commenced delivery). Only then did they figure they'd better have the duty holder show me a walk before covering it. Otherwise they just turn a blind eye so they can declare the office clear in the morning.Barbel wrote:Not sure if it's normal for newbies to be sent out on blind walks on their own before being shown the round. I will say it's the most stressful day I've had so far with RM.
The machine stops.
-
Barbel
- Posts: 593
- Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
Eek looks like I'll be getting in the neck then. Saying that though If I hadn't have had a dodgy trolley in the first place I may have been able to deliver it all.Mr Rush wrote:I had the same experience when I started and got scolded for brining stuff back a few times (LM wouldn't listen before I commenced delivery). Only then did they figure they'd better have the duty holder show me a walk before covering it. Otherwise they just turn a blind eye so they can declare the office clear in the morning.Barbel wrote:Not sure if it's normal for newbies to be sent out on blind walks on their own before being shown the round. I will say it's the most stressful day I've had so far with RM.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Bringing mail back to the office
You should have refused to use the trolley for health and safety reasons. Had your trolley caused an accident either to you or a member of the public, your line manager would have taken you down the disciplinary line. Do not under any circumstances agree to take out equipment that is not fit for the job specified, or is not in mechanical order.