ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is destroye
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is destroye
Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is destroyed in catalogue of disasters
http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Stamp-c ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An over-enthusiastic member of staff at the Royal Mail has destroyed a rare set of stamps.
The envelope was sent from Switzerland and included a rare first day cover – when a stamp is issued and used on the first day of its existence.
Collecting first day covers is a popular aspect of philately and stamps marked in this way have enhanced value and collectability.
Unfortunately for collector John Richard from Glastonbury, his stamps arrived on Friday morning – complete with a Royal Mail special delivery sticker slapped right across them.
"I've been collecting stamps on and off since I was a kid," he said.
"These were sent to me by a friend in Switzerland – they probably cost around £15 on face value, but obviously I'm not sure what the value would have been with the first day stamp on it.
"To say that I was unimpressed is something of an understatement."
To make matters worse, when Mr Richards took the envelope to the post office to complaint, an enterprising member of staff tried to peel the sticker away from the stamps – tearing some of them.
And adding insult to injury, when Mr Richards asked for a complaint form to be sent to him on Friday, it still hadn't arrived by Tuesday morning.
"Our usual postman is brilliant, but we've had a few bits of items going missing somewhere in the system, or turn up late over the years," he said.
"And we only live about 150 yards from the sorting office.
"It's hardly surprising people are turning away from Royal Mail."
A spokesman for Royal Mail said the incident was being investigated by their customer services department.
http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Stamp-c ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An over-enthusiastic member of staff at the Royal Mail has destroyed a rare set of stamps.
The envelope was sent from Switzerland and included a rare first day cover – when a stamp is issued and used on the first day of its existence.
Collecting first day covers is a popular aspect of philately and stamps marked in this way have enhanced value and collectability.
Unfortunately for collector John Richard from Glastonbury, his stamps arrived on Friday morning – complete with a Royal Mail special delivery sticker slapped right across them.
"I've been collecting stamps on and off since I was a kid," he said.
"These were sent to me by a friend in Switzerland – they probably cost around £15 on face value, but obviously I'm not sure what the value would have been with the first day stamp on it.
"To say that I was unimpressed is something of an understatement."
To make matters worse, when Mr Richards took the envelope to the post office to complaint, an enterprising member of staff tried to peel the sticker away from the stamps – tearing some of them.
And adding insult to injury, when Mr Richards asked for a complaint form to be sent to him on Friday, it still hadn't arrived by Tuesday morning.
"Our usual postman is brilliant, but we've had a few bits of items going missing somewhere in the system, or turn up late over the years," he said.
"And we only live about 150 yards from the sorting office.
"It's hardly surprising people are turning away from Royal Mail."
A spokesman for Royal Mail said the incident was being investigated by their customer services department.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
PhilthyPhil
- Posts: 1155
- Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
I've never seen one of those stickers before. Also afaik foreign priority items are not guaranteed by 1300.
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
Sorry but what is his problem? If the stamps where so valuable then shouldn't they be INSIDE the envelope 
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
Doesn't excuse rank stupitidy ....DGP1 wrote:Sorry but what is his problem? If the stamps where so valuable then shouldn't they be INSIDE the envelope
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
The point in sending them on the outside is this....DGP1 wrote:Sorry but what is his problem? If the stamps where so valuable then shouldn't they be INSIDE the envelope
It's a philately thing,so i'm informed.
I have a customer who regularly sends them to himself,just a piece of cardboard in a special delivery bag with the stamps on the outside.
I wouldn't use the words "get a life" but.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
You cannot expect everybody to know about stamp collectors way of doing things,I would have done the same it's just a letter with stamps on,how are you supposed to know they are first day covers.RedBagMan wrote:Doesn't excuse rank stupitidy ....DGP1 wrote:Sorry but what is his problem? If the stamps where so valuable then shouldn't they be INSIDE the envelope
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3351
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
The contents of a letter or package traditionally go on the inside of the container. There's no indication the stamps were the content and for the person (or perhaps machine) that slapped the sticker there - anywhere except covering the address is acceptable.
Good luck getting one of our "competitors" to deliver it in future."It's hardly surprising people are turning away from Royal Mail."
The machine stops.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
Well, seeing as Royal Mail tell us to cancel stamps, he's lucky there wasn't a biro through them all
Honestly, what a complete non story about something that happens all the time i.e. a sticker being placed on the front of a package. Unless there was a notice on the outside saying "Please don't destroy these stamps" then he should've had them sent INSIDE with them having been cancelled by the Post Office where they were bought.
Honestly, what a complete non story about something that happens all the time i.e. a sticker being placed on the front of a package. Unless there was a notice on the outside saying "Please don't destroy these stamps" then he should've had them sent INSIDE with them having been cancelled by the Post Office where they were bought.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
scoobydo79
- Posts: 2057
- Joined: 15 May 2011, 19:04
- Gender: Male
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
Reminds Me of the time I saw a postman who liked to number his bundles scribble number '3' on a first day cover...oops 
-
RedBagMan
- Posts: 1010
- Joined: 01 Aug 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
- Location: Behind the lens
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
Errr ... it's NOT just a letter with stamps on - it's a first day cover ...DB1100 wrote:You cannot expect everybody to know about stamp collectors way of doing things,I would have done the same it's just a letter with stamps on,how are you supposed to know they are first day covers.
I may be a lapsed philatelist (can't afford it now - too many bloody issues - I blame the Post Office
Or maybe there are too many robots working at RM .......... oh I forgot - it's just a job innit ...
"We're under model" - oh no we're not - stick your lapse elsewhere ...
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
If they were not franked you should put a pen line through it would the customer have you charged with vandalism?.fishtank wrote:The point in sending them on the outside is this....DGP1 wrote:Sorry but what is his problem? If the stamps where so valuable then shouldn't they be INSIDE the envelope
It's a philately thing,so i'm informed.
I have a customer who regularly sends them to himself,just a piece of cardboard in a special delivery bag with the stamps on the outside.
I wouldn't use the words "get a life" but.....
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
I have never heard of them before and TBH I wouldn't know what they are now even after being told, the fact remains that if he sends things through the post then he stands the risk of them being destroyed through no fault of anyone but the person sending them.RedBagMan wrote:Errr ... it's NOT just a letter with stamps on - it's a first day cover ...DB1100 wrote:You cannot expect everybody to know about stamp collectors way of doing things,I would have done the same it's just a letter with stamps on,how are you supposed to know they are first day covers.
I may be a lapsed philatelist (can't afford it now - too many bloody issues - I blame the Post Office) but ... these sort of things used to come through the post regularly when I was a kid ... with no problems ... they DO stand out a bit as something special !!
Or maybe there are too many robots working at RM .......... oh I forgot - it's just a job innit ...
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
"rare first day cover is destroyed"
It's not rare, as if it was you wouldn't get such a stamp on ebay for £1.42 or £3.44.
It's not a first day cover as these stamps were issued on 8th March last year.
It's not destroyed, just damaged.
But that doesn't justify such carelessness by one of or colleagues.
It's not rare, as if it was you wouldn't get such a stamp on ebay for £1.42 or £3.44.
It's not a first day cover as these stamps were issued on 8th March last year.
It's not destroyed, just damaged.
But that doesn't justify such carelessness by one of or colleagues.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
Thank you,fellow robot.All this fuss over a few stamps,for gods sake let me know his address and he can have some of my free ones from 10 years ago.DGP1 wrote:I have never heard of them before and TBH I wouldn't know what they are now even after being told, the fact remains that if he sends things through the post then he stands the risk of them being destroyed through no fault of anyone but the person sending them.RedBagMan wrote:Errr ... it's NOT just a letter with stamps on - it's a first day cover ...DB1100 wrote:You cannot expect everybody to know about stamp collectors way of doing things,I would have done the same it's just a letter with stamps on,how are you supposed to know they are first day covers.
I may be a lapsed philatelist (can't afford it now - too many bloody issues - I blame the Post Office) but ... these sort of things used to come through the post regularly when I was a kid ... with no problems ... they DO stand out a bit as something special !!
Or maybe there are too many robots working at RM .......... oh I forgot - it's just a job innit ...
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
DGP1
- Posts: 15551
- Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
- Gender: Male
- Location: Terminus
Re: Stamp collector's dismay as rare first day cover is dest
DB1100 wrote: Thank you,fellow robot.All this fuss over a few stamps,for gods sake let me know his address and he can have some of my free ones from 10 years ago.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio