ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I think I'm done.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Silly Sarah
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 May 2010, 22:13
Gender: Female
Location: wild west

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Silly Sarah »

thefemalepostie wrote:Another update to this.

I have a job interview next week for a fantastic job which the hours are perfect and term time only!!! I'm keeping everything crossed that this will come off.

I am working in my neighbours business for a temp solution. They know its only until I find a more suitable job so it's a win win for this at the moment.
Did you write to Moya, union, courier mag etc with your experiences?
What have I done to deserve this?
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by dvbuk55 »

Barbel wrote: The only problem with that though is I need a driver to drop me at my loops so unless I take my own car he'll be waiting forever. :whistle
That's not your problem barbel, getting to your first delivery point is an issue for the managers. Are you insured by RM - only if the revision has not taken place, has the manager agreed to the use of your car, has the vehicle documentation been checked and have you got it in writing - because managers by their very definition have selective memory.
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by thefemalepostie »

Barbel wrote:
Lazycarton wrote:If you are on a 5 day 6 hour contract 8am - 2pm, you are entitled to a 30 min break. You can take this before you go out, or finish 30 mins early (at least that is what I have been doing with the DOM's agreement.

If you feel you are being rushed and not being given the opportunity to learn properly then you have to speak up. Is there a designated trainer at your depot? Are you being trained by him/her?

I will not be hassled into doing things that I don't fully understand aas it just leads to unhappiness and frustration.
Thanks Lazycarton, I don't know about a designated trainer, but I've been shown by 2 different guys on different days who both do things differently so it gets a bit confusing. It probably would be better if I'm left on my own to get on with it all and if it takes all day then so be it. The only problem with that though is I need a driver to drop me at my loops so unless I take my own car he'll be waiting forever. :whistle
DO NOT take your own car EVER! Not only will you be up poo street with RM security bods but your insurance will be invalid and the DOMS will wash there hands of it even if they told you to take it.
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by thefemalepostie »

Silly Sarah wrote:
thefemalepostie wrote:Another update to this.

I have a job interview next week for a fantastic job which the hours are perfect and term time only!!! I'm keeping everything crossed that this will come off.

I am working in my neighbours business for a temp solution. They know its only until I find a more suitable job so it's a win win for this at the moment.
Did you write to Moya, union, courier mag etc with your experiences?
I am in the process of composing my letters. I am taking my time so I can be sure I have put all the information into them. I am being polite but brutally honest about things. I don't expect it to go any further but you never know.
Silly Sarah
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 May 2010, 22:13
Gender: Female
Location: wild west

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Silly Sarah »

thefemalepostie wrote:
Silly Sarah wrote:
thefemalepostie wrote:Another update to this.

I have a job interview next week for a fantastic job which the hours are perfect and term time only!!! I'm keeping everything crossed that this will come off.

I am working in my neighbours business for a temp solution. They know its only until I find a more suitable job so it's a win win for this at the moment.
Did you write to Moya, union, courier mag etc with your experiences?
I am in the process of composing my letters. I am taking my time so I can be sure I have put all the information into them. I am being polite but brutally honest about things. I don't expect it to go any further but you never know.
It's about time the union made RM take these kind of complaints seriously. RM seem to go into denial mode on this topic. Maybe they just don't want to face the fact that their whole business model encourages managers to bully, lie and cheat in a vain attempt to meet unrealistic performance targets. The bullying is applied down the layers of managers until it reaches delivery staff at the sharp end. The good DOMs tend to leave while the bad ones use any tactic they think they can get away with to achieve their aims. It is a total disgrace the company continues to allow this to happen.
What have I done to deserve this?
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Lincox »

The company/boardroom does not see this as a disgrace as they are the ones actively making this happen in a carefully considered plan.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32817
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by POSTMAN »

Does anyone know how much training newbies should be getting?
:neutral: http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=44371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Barbel »

Thanks for the link Postman! Well tomorrow I will have been there a week and I'm still a bit confused lol..I've not been left alone yet to prep a frame or bag up, I have just been helping and doing what I'm asked to do. Apparently the prep frame is a nightmare as the numbers and address' are all over the place and not straight forward, my trainers words not mine, so he does it all at top speed while I fetch the packets. Since day 2 I've been doing walks on my own with no one shadowing me while my partner drops off parcels in the van. Obviously I'm slow and he's in a rush to get off so when he finishes he then comes and helps me with whatever I've not managed to deliver. It's his day off on Saturday so I suspect I'm going to be left alone to prep the frame and bag up not really having a clue what I'm doing but we shall see. He said himself I should have been put on a more straight forward frame to start with and that I need more training but it seems you really are just left to get on with it and hope for the best. It is quite daunting as you feel you should know it all within the first few days and you feel guilty if you're not fast enough or ask too many questions because everyone is in such a rush to do their own thing and get off early. Like I said before, I don't blame them but you do feel like a bit of a hindrance at times and that you're just in the way. Saying that though I am enjoying it and everyone seems nice enough at the moment. I'm under no illusion either when I am totally left to get on with it I probably won't be finishing until about 8pm lol. :whistle
chooch
Posts: 323
Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by chooch »

you're old enough, well in terms of posts here anyway, to know your options..
It'll be your choice whether you take the money or do your time..
You DO NOT, no matter how nicely or otherwise you're asked, have any reason, company or personal-wise, to take your own vehicle out..
This crew will let you get royally rogered when, rather than if, it goes tits-up either IB, Insurance or whatever-wise..
JUST DONT.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Barbel »

Thanks, no I won't take my own car. It was never suggested to me, I just thought it might have been easier, and to be honest it never crossed my mind about insurance. :d'oh!
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Postie45 »

Barbel wrote:Thanks for the link Postman! Well tomorrow I will have been there a week and I'm still a bit confused lol..I've not been left alone yet to prep a frame or bag up, I have just been helping and doing what I'm asked to do. Apparently the prep frame is a nightmare as the numbers and address' are all over the place and not straight forward, my trainers words not mine, so he does it all at top speed while I fetch the packets. Since day 2 I've been doing walks on my own with no one shadowing me while my partner drops off parcels in the van. Obviously I'm slow and he's in a rush to get off so when he finishes he then comes and helps me with whatever I've not managed to deliver. It's his day off on Saturday so I suspect I'm going to be left alone to prep the frame and bag up not really having a clue what I'm doing but we shall see. He said himself I should have been put on a more straight forward frame to start with and that I need more training but it seems you really are just left to get on with it and hope for the best. It is quite daunting as you feel you should know it all within the first few days and you feel guilty if you're not fast enough or ask too many questions because everyone is in such a rush to do their own thing and get off early. Like I said before, I don't blame them but you do feel like a bit of a hindrance at times and that you're just in the way. Saying that though I am enjoying it and everyone seems nice enough at the moment. I'm under no illusion either when I am totally left to get on with it I probably won't be finishing until about 8pm lol. :whistle
Are you a union member ? if not id strongly suggest joining. Then if you feel you havent had sufficient training (which must be the case if you really think you will be finishing much later than the scheduled finish time) then you can make the union rep aware of this fact.
I understand the pressure of not slowing down other people, but at the end of the day these co-workers need to realise youre new, If they dont accept this then theyre just a-holes but it sounds like youre not getting any grief from colleagues, so I really wouldnt worry too much about being "slower" right now.
Good luck, the job certainly gets easier the longer you work for RM especially at the start. As long as you know cut off procedure you`ll be fine ! :)
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Barbel »

Postie45 wrote:
Barbel wrote:Thanks for the link Postman! Well tomorrow I will have been there a week and I'm still a bit confused lol..I've not been left alone yet to prep a frame or bag up, I have just been helping and doing what I'm asked to do. Apparently the prep frame is a nightmare as the numbers and address' are all over the place and not straight forward, my trainers words not mine, so he does it all at top speed while I fetch the packets. Since day 2 I've been doing walks on my own with no one shadowing me while my partner drops off parcels in the van. Obviously I'm slow and he's in a rush to get off so when he finishes he then comes and helps me with whatever I've not managed to deliver. It's his day off on Saturday so I suspect I'm going to be left alone to prep the frame and bag up not really having a clue what I'm doing but we shall see. He said himself I should have been put on a more straight forward frame to start with and that I need more training but it seems you really are just left to get on with it and hope for the best. It is quite daunting as you feel you should know it all within the first few days and you feel guilty if you're not fast enough or ask too many questions because everyone is in such a rush to do their own thing and get off early. Like I said before, I don't blame them but you do feel like a bit of a hindrance at times and that you're just in the way. Saying that though I am enjoying it and everyone seems nice enough at the moment. I'm under no illusion either when I am totally left to get on with it I probably won't be finishing until about 8pm lol. :whistle
Are you a union member ? if not id strongly suggest joining. Then if you feel you havent had sufficient training (which must be the case if you really think you will be finishing much later than the scheduled finish time) then you can make the union rep aware of this fact.
I understand the pressure of not slowing down other people, but at the end of the day these co-workers need to realise youre new, If they dont accept this then theyre just a-holes but it sounds like youre not getting any grief from colleagues, so I really wouldnt worry too much about being "slower" right now.
Good luck, the job certainly gets easier the longer you work for RM especially at the start. As long as you know cut off procedure you`ll be fine ! :)
No I'm not a member, it's not been mentioned to me and I haven't a clue how to go about it. Also, is it worth it if I'm only there for 6 months? I'm finding it's getting a bit easier and I'm starting to understand and see the way things work. My colleagues seem to be a nice bunch of people so far and I haven't had any grief from anyone yet. It would be nice to get some feedback though as to how I'm getting on as for all I know I could be totally s***.
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Pinky 1 »

Barbel wrote: No I'm not a member, it's not been mentioned to me and I haven't a clue how to go about it.
Here you go ......
http://www.cwu.org/join-cwu-now.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Barbel »

Thanks Pinky!