ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16730
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by clashcityrocker »

Thixty wrote:
jw1234 wrote:
What I'm trying to say is... Maybe RM attracts a certain type of... Work shy moaner! :oops: :shhhhh

looks like a Gaffer has joined the forum :no no
Labelling someone a "gaffer" because they have a different point of view to you is incredibly childish.
And even if he is a gaffer he is more than entitled to register and put his point of view across.
Or are you the self-designated RMC censor?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Thixty wrote:
jw1234 wrote:I have been a postie for a year now and still do not really understand why people complain so much about this job...

Maybe I have a good small office and a good manager unlike others, but I start when I should start, do the walk I am told, and either cut off or go overtime if it is a busy day. Simple as that. So stress free, get the DAB radio in and go for a nice walk-about. :chuckle

Even over Christmas I was sent to a different office, on a new round everyday working 2+ hours overtime and I still found myself nearly enjoying it!

What I'm trying to say is... Maybe RM attracts a certain type of... Work shy moaner! :oops: :shhhhh

looks like a Gaffer has joined the forum :no no
It doesn't matter if he is a gaffer or not he is still allowed to post his opinion. Also its a minor breach but please remember what the rules say about using the "must be a manager" argument.
Just because someone has a different viewpoint or political position to you, it does not mean that they are a 'Manager' or a 'Union fanatic', any posts making such assumptions or generalisations will be pulled or amended and the poster warned. This also applies to posts that are not aimed at individuals but at groups.

The reason why we have the rule is that we wan't people to debate and discuss the merits (or lack of) other peoples positions, and I am afraid using the "he is a manager" or "Union Fanatic" is a weak argument that adds zilch to any debate.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Thixty
Posts: 40
Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 22:13
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by Thixty »

dont get your knickers in a twist people! nothing more then a light hearted joke its not like the guys got a stressful life at the moment so i think he can take it on the chin :silenced :silenced :silenced



edit: in my office the managers seem to live in this little dream world that everything is hunky dory and lifes a breeze abit like the OP has made out, hence the joke ......
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by wiganpostie »

I enjoyed the job for the first few years.

Wait a while.....
bullhotrick
Posts: 7
Joined: 28 Mar 2010, 17:06
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by bullhotrick »

wait to u r there a while! your coat still swinging on the hanger fs :whistle
anTi
Posts: 380
Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 15:54
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by anTi »

fng wrote:
anTi wrote:
jw1234 wrote:I have been a postie for a year now and still do not really understand why people complain so much about this job...
Well if you'd been here a lot longer then you would know just how good it was. Im now way what you might call a long termer (just 10 years) but back then it was so much better than it is now. In terms of docket 'do ability'. P&L has killed off the good times.
Would i be correct in saying that by "killed off the good times" people are now having to work for the hours paid :nervous rather than job and knock or job and docket ?
.
That is what i ment, yes.
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by TheCobra »

Yeh I am told tales of the past by my P&L partner of how he used to do his walk, get finished for 12.30 most days, then do half another walk each day for 2 and 1/2 hours docket. Still was home for 3pm most days and had basically got paid 2 and 1/2 hours extra for it
anTi
Posts: 380
Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 15:54
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by anTi »

TheCobra wrote:Yeh I am told tales of the past by my P&L partner of how he used to do his walk, get finished for 12.30 most days, then do half another walk each day for 2 and 1/2 hours docket. Still was home for 3pm most days and had basically got paid 2 and 1/2 hours extra for it
Sounds like me only i was home by 1.30.
bydand91
Posts: 69
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 18:57
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by bydand91 »

I loved this job when I first started and due to the changes this company has been ruined and they wonder why most of the workforce are unhappy. :arrrghhh You have to have been with company for a while to realise this,people who join now don't know any better.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by centenaryman »

jw1234 wrote:I have been a postie for a year now and still do not really understand why people complain so much about this job...

Maybe I have a good small office and a good manager unlike others, but I start when I should start, do the walk I am told, and either cut off or go overtime if it is a busy day. Simple as that. So stress free, get the DAB radio in and go for a nice walk-about. :chuckle

Even over Christmas I was sent to a different office, on a new round everyday working 2+ hours overtime and I still found myself nearly enjoying it!

What I'm trying to say is... Maybe RM attracts a certain type of... Work shy moaner! :oops: :shhhhh

think the opening post held the key for me,,,,,,,we have 2 `in charge` at our place who drive round in a van to make sure we `dont have a d.a.b` in your ears,,,,,or make sure you have your high viz vest on,,,,,,,,,,,quickly it tends to wear you down into not likeing the job that much
RetroJunkie
Posts: 165
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 16:06
Gender: Female

Re: I don't understand why people hate this job so much?

Post by RetroJunkie »

mailman71 wrote:this used to be a decent job years ago but when crozier and leighton came in as we say in scotland the ba was burst.
there was always some slack in the job but they started pushing for every single minute to be utilised and the people who came in for them wanted even more and we now have the situation where a lot of posties dont have enough time to finish their duties.
in any job workers should be able to do what ever they work at in the time allocated sadly that does'nt happen in this job anymore so no wonder people hate the job now.
exactly and being part time forget it, your just chasing a loosing battle everyday and getting piled with more and more of a workload, the fact i get called on the sorting after the first clear down is a joke, who's throwing my walk off while ive come in later than a fulltimer :arrrghhh

people who come on here telling you to just cut off don't understand that although its a procedure and within your right to do you just get called into the office by management asking you what you have been doing and why you haven't done it all regardless of day, heaviness, when you got out and put your first letter in, what delivery your on, nothing is taken into consideration other than you should fill this hole everyday, claiming overtime just turns up when it wants to in your payslip :dcfo

i just feel constant anger towards anything to do with this company, wish it would just :dcfo and rot somewhere :cuppa ................ and relax