ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I think I'm done.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jono
Posts: 35
Joined: 10 Apr 2011, 14:04
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Jono »

fishtank wrote: The more Royal Mail increase the targets and pressure on these inadequate managers in an attempt to "modernise" the business the more they will panic and resort to intimidation.
Royal mail needs a clear out of poor management but i doubt it will happen.
I fully agree with Fishtank on this issue but at the same time see this as a double edged sword - Poor managers are often a product of being moved around the region for years upon end with the only constant being that they have f*cked up" in every position they've been appointed to which ultimately makes their stay untenable and thus they are moved on (again and again) and tried elsewhere with no resolution ever reached which should be dealing with their shortcomings in the first place - ie sack/replace them.
What worries me about the "new breed" of managers being educated under the so called WCM is that the root of the problem is still there - straight out of the classroom with no experience of the job and into a position and along the way brainwashed into a certain way of working by Moya Greene and the rest of the dark side of the force - with the same results bullying and intimidation in order to meet their targets.
You can change the manager over and over but the ethos of management will never change imo :arrrghhh
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by fb1969 »

Having lasted nearly 4 months so far I fully agree with thefemalepostie about how things are - though I don't agree that you are a failure.

The only real "training" that I can remember was at the day at the mail centre, and only really included how to pick up a pouch and how to push and stop a York. Actual training since then has been how to get the basics of the job done, which is all the managers are interested in. As has been said before, there is no interest in the individual or any problems they may be having.

In our DO there was a newbie who started about two months after me. His "training" involved being shown the route for three days by a person who started the same day that I did - so no sign of any workplace coach. Since then he has struggled mainly with prepping, and he isn't remotely on top of the basics. The only interest that management have shown in him is having to make arrangements for his pouch drops on the numerous days were he has missed the driver going out.

The outside element of the job is fine and even enjoyable at times, and you are being paid to get fitter. But the inside element is poor at the best of times. If I am efficient enough to get back early I dread being pounced on to go back out - usually to an area that I have no knowledge of. Twice I was foolish enough to go in my own car "on the way home" despite it being in the opposite direction! I've learnt from that. The week ahead sees two contrasts of manager - one who is great, listen and helps people, the other other an idiot who peed off the newbie above the other day by marching him down to get his Specials when he isn't supposed to be doing them yet.

Best of luck with whatever you decide femalepostie - just remember that you aren't the failure, the entire business and the people who run it hold that honour.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
edwardo
Posts: 180
Joined: 23 Sep 2010, 19:01
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by edwardo »

sorry to hear of your time in RM a sad state but sadly true wish you all the best in the future good luck
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by dvbuk55 »

thefemalepostie wrote:As for women leaving and men staying. My theory (and its only a theory) would be that most women take the part time hours to fit in with kids for extra household money (hubby being main earner). They don't want to put up with the daily shafting and bullying for anything so leave. Men who take on the job normally are the full time earner (so will do all the overtime to make up to full time hours). This is just my opinion so don't blast me for it, but it is certainly true of the postwoman at my DO.
I wouldn't blast you for stating the obvious femalepostie, you have pointed out the reason why managers don't like female postwomen, not that they are women, not that they are slower than men, not that they are bolshie but because they do not fulfil the work criteria as required by them. They want part timers to be flexible, work the hours as required by the business and not the diktats of child care or pin money and to some extent that is as it should be, however it should be made clear at the outset what it is the business requires and the union should be on the ball and make sure that all the hours overtime worked in every office is logged and where it is seen to be regular then full time positions created to alleviate the necessity for part timers to be forced/coerced/bullied into working hours they don't want to do.
newtimes
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 595
Joined: 16 Feb 2012, 14:10
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by newtimes »

fb1969 wrote: just remember that you aren't the failure, the entire business and the people who run it hold that honour.
great quote and so true.
twobags
Posts: 299
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by twobags »

very sad post and relevent to everyones attitude good luck with the future. i to am on the edge i have never in my life experienced or witnessed such intimidation from very poor but well protected managers who also reflect the political direction of goverment and targets on employment laws [vince cable] . as far as royal mails future the future is bright [ORANGE]:
Bag of d2d
Posts: 40
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 14:12
Gender: Male
Location: Capital

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by Bag of d2d »

spoodoo wrote:Our new starts have no idea of putting in overtime,meal breaks etc it's shocking some are scared to put in any overtime ,and most come in hours before there time because of pressure they feel.
So true. In my experience some DOMs are simply corrupt. They tell you nothing that is not in their interest. It's all about budgets and protecting their precious bonus. You start on a short term contract so feel vulnerable if you ask too many awkward questions about entitlements. I too was shocked by the way delivery staff are treated by management in general. I was treated with more respect and was bullied less when I was at school in the 70s. Worst company I have worked for.
cyberheater
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 274
Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 18:36
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by cyberheater »

Honestly. I blame the union. They've had years to sort this out and protect our rights but are corrupt themselves. Every delivery office I've ever worked has the union rep on the easiest duties. As long as they have the cushy duties, they don't give a damn. Especially to part timers.
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by thefemalepostie »

Thanks everyone for the best wishes and support. When you try and explain the toxic atmosphere to a non Royal Mail person they look at you as if you are lying and are crazy!!

I knew you guys would understand what I have been through.

It's a shame as most fellow workers are a good laugh and help with questions etc... But when the poo hits the fan and they see you being harassed and bullied they suddenly don't seem to be around or deaf to what is going on.

Today I have been at peace with making my decision, and have felt happier than I have in weeks and weeks.

Xxxx
twobags
Posts: 299
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by twobags »

we got a new starter training on my park and loop duty , we went over yesterday the new starter said that at his induction he was told he would be slow but not to worry that he and who ever worked with him would be paid the extra while training , however on arrival at our office was told that to get on here he just needed to complete every day and that he would not be paid any over time as there were enough hours to complete. also he is on a five day week contract where i am on a 9 day fortnight , but he is paid the same so he gets less time to do the duty and when i looked at the signing in book on average he finishes 30+ mins before me :crazy: while the guy he is taking over from only a year in didnt claim either i went to but was told by my line manager i couldnt :d'oh! :arrrghhh see the dom monday
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by DB1100 »

female postie,it's a pity you can't put this in a letter and send it to our propaganda rag the courier,but what's the betting it would never be printed
For we were soldiers once,and young
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by fishtank »

cyberheater wrote:Honestly. I blame the union. They've had years to sort this out and protect our rights but are corrupt themselves. Every delivery office I've ever worked has the union rep on the easiest duties. As long as they have the cushy duties, they don't give a damn. Especially to part timers.
I don't necessarily blame the union for management failings but i do think if the union is genuinely serious about proper representation throughout the structure the days of leaving offices to get on with it should be behind us.

It's far too easy for a manager to blunt the effectiveness of a local rep by undermining their position,removing them from the day to day difficulties of the job is the simplest.

Local democracy can be flawed,part-timers as the minority in an office have very little say,their problems seen as minor,the same for reserves,some reps look after a hardcore of their mates and no-one wants to stand against them.

Accountability from above is non-existent,visits from Area Reps are rare in most offices,above Area Rep is unheard of outside of Branch Offices in too many cases.
It isn't anywhere near good enough to be honest.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by DB1100 »

Sorry,I forgot to say good luck and well done for not taking any more crap,good luck for the future.
For we were soldiers once,and young
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by thefemalepostie »

DB1100 wrote:female postie,it's a pity you can't put this in a letter and send it to our propaganda rag the courier,but what's the betting it would never be printed
I would if I thought it would do any good. But as you say they wouldn't print it. I wonder if the cwu paper would? Who knows?

Royal Mail know what is going on, they just turn a sly blind eye to it as it suits their purposes at this time.

I know new starts are seen as lazy and work shy, but I was not one of them. I worked hard in my hours but wouldn't generally go over my time (did twice thats all). If Royal Mail wanted to stop the high level of turnover of staff and save themselves a fortune in recruitment etc... Then deal with the problem in DO's indoor element.
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: I think I'm done.

Post by hampshireman »

fishtank wrote:
cyberheater wrote:Honestly. I blame the union. They've had years to sort this out and protect our rights but are corrupt themselves. Every delivery office I've ever worked has the union rep on the easiest duties. As long as they have the cushy duties, they don't give a damn. Especially to part timers.
I don't necessarily blame the union for management failings but i do think if the union is genuinely serious about proper representation throughout the structure the days of leaving offices to get on with it should be behind us.

It's far too easy for a manager to blunt the effectiveness of a local rep by undermining their position,removing them from the day to day difficulties of the job is the simplest.

Local democracy can be flawed,part-timers as the minority in an office have very little say,their problems seen as minor,the same for reserves,some reps look after a hardcore of their mates and no-one wants to stand against them.

Accountability from above is non-existent,visits from Area Reps are rare in most offices,above Area Rep is unheard of outside of Branch Offices in too many cases.
It isn't anywhere near good enough to be honest.
Excellent post Fish