ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hero postman chased bike thief

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Hero postman chased bike thief

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/hero-po ... -1-5259441" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A paperboy has thanked a postman who saved the day when a thief stole his new bike.

Lewis Danson, 14, put down his Raleigh while delivering a newspaper to a home in Lambert Road, Ribbleton, Preston.

While his back was turned a man jumped on the bike and cycled off down the street.

But postman Steve Bullen heard Lewis shouting for help and sped after the culprit in his van - catching up with him near Brookfield Park, where the crook panicked and dumped the bike.

The 54-year-old dad-of-three’s actions were even more impressive because he only returned to work last month after suffering a heart attack.

Lewis, from Holme Slack Lane, Holme Slack, said: “A man in a grey tracksuit jumped on my bike and rode off towards Brookfield Park.

“He had his hood up so I couldn’t see his face.

“I started shouting and the postman who was doing his deliveries asked me if the man had just taken my bike.

“When I said he had, the postman jumped into his van and chased after him. He must have heard him coming after him because he dumped the bike on the park and ran off towards the estate.”

Lewis, who attends Our Lady’s Catholic High School in St Anthony’s Drive, Fulwood, said the bike was a replacement for a silver Carrera model, which was stolen from his back garden.

He said: “I didn’t really expect to get it back because the man was cycling quite fast.

“We tried to offer Steve a thank you but he wouldn’t take it. I said how grateful I was, especially when he has just come back from a heart attack.

“He’s a hero - he was very brave.”

The postman of 35 years had a heart attack in May and was off work for six months.

He said: “I’ve only just come back to work, so this was the last thing I needed really!

“But it’s just your instinct to try and help. You don’t think about the consequences.

“Any of the other postmen probably would have done the same. I wasn’t going to run after him but I had my van so I thought I might catch him.

“Lewis was really chuffed about it and his mum was even more chuffed because she said it was the second bike he’s had pinched.

“The police rang me up and thanked me too.”

Royal Mail spokesman Val Bodden praised Steve’s quick thinking and actions when he came across the incident on Saturday, December 15.

She said: “The boy’s family were thankful Steve was there and this shows how public spirited our people can be when faced with such a situation."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Hero postman chased bike thief

Post by Darren Bent »

The boy need to be more careful with his bike.
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

Re: Hero postman chased bike thief

Post by noggin1969 »

RM are trying to get the paper boy sacked as he never locked his bike up and the postie has been suspended for wasting diesel :crazy: