ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72741
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-20839884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Postal workers killed while serving in the armed forces during World War I and II could be remembered at the National Memorial Arboretum.
The Post Office Fellowship of Remembrance hopes to store two books listing the names of the postal workers at the site in Alrewas, Staffordshire.
Simon Kelly, company secretary of the fellowship, said they had been produced by a postal worker in about 1950.
The WWI book lists 8,858 names and the WWII book lists 3,792.
Mr Kelly said the names were listed in alphabetical order under gold letters and gave the postal district in which the men and women worked as well as the regiment they served with.
The arboretum is home to many memorials, including the National Armed Forces Memorial, police, fire and ambulance service memorials as well as those of charities and organisations.
Postal workers killed while serving in the armed forces during World War I and II could be remembered at the National Memorial Arboretum.
The Post Office Fellowship of Remembrance hopes to store two books listing the names of the postal workers at the site in Alrewas, Staffordshire.
Simon Kelly, company secretary of the fellowship, said they had been produced by a postal worker in about 1950.
The WWI book lists 8,858 names and the WWII book lists 3,792.
Mr Kelly said the names were listed in alphabetical order under gold letters and gave the postal district in which the men and women worked as well as the regiment they served with.
The arboretum is home to many memorials, including the National Armed Forces Memorial, police, fire and ambulance service memorials as well as those of charities and organisations.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
I have been here many times and it is a beautiful place,but I think it should only be for the Armed forces and those that serve with them,not really for the Emergency service's or Charities.The wall is a special place and a reminder of the price people pay for the follies of politicians.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
DB1100 wrote:I have been here many times and it is a beautiful place,but I think it should only be for the Armed forces and those that serve with them,not really for the Emergency service's or Charities.The wall is a special place and a reminder of the price people pay for the follies of politicians.
I disagree.
When Total War came in, everybody was on the front line at home and abroad, the AFS fought fire caused by German bombers, The Police done their part and continue to this day sacrificing their lives for the public good, the Home Guards were never paid yet they stood to in time of crisis, they also manned the AA guns,, the ARP did a useful service ensuring their patch was safe from detection by German bombers, the Cadet Forces did their bit as messengers and support services, the GPO at the time were part of the Civil Structure of communication including secret government communications often involving travel through bombings if it was called for, also some have served in the Home Guards, Factory workers and Munition workers were also involved in Fire Watch duties to prevent their work place being destroyed, even down to the Bevan boys, even the disabled did their part, many Georges Cross were awarded to some of them in the service of their Country.
We really were in it together
I would not be attempting to follow a personal agenda by politicising their sacrifices as you seem to do. I do not object to other groups marking their sacrifices by placing memorials around the park, the only criteria is that they have served and done something for the Country and public safety.
Two people I know very well are on the Memorial wall killed in action on NI (I also found his tree) the other AFG, the third because he died after an illness instead of war even having been to the Gulf, did not count on the wall unfortunately. I remember them all,
All gave some some gave all, at the going down of the sun and in the morning I will remember them.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
Had it been designated the 'Armed Forces Memorial Arboretum' yes but it is intentionally the 'National Memorial Arboretum' as it made no difference to a widow if her husband was wearing an Army or an ARP or Home Guard uniform when killed.DB1100 wrote:I have been here many times and it is a beautiful place,but I think it should only be for the Armed forces and those that serve with them,not really for the Emergency service's or Charities.The wall is a special place and a reminder of the price people pay for the follies of politicians.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
Once again you have leapt in with out reading what I have wrote,the people you mention all served during the wars.You seem to want to argue for any reason.Lounge Lizard wrote:Had it been designated the 'Armed Forces Memorial Arboretum' yes but it is intentionally the 'National Memorial Arboretum' as it made no difference to a widow if her husband was wearing an Army or an ARP or Home Guard uniform when killed.DB1100 wrote:I have been here many times and it is a beautiful place,but I think it should only be for the Armed forces and those that serve with them,not really for the Emergency service's or Charities.The wall is a special place and a reminder of the price people pay for the follies of politicians.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
I have friends on the wall,and as for politicising have a look at one of Harry Patch,s quote that runs something like this "I think now as I think then that there would be a lot less wars if the politicians had to fight their own" and I think he is better qualified than you or I don't you?.I have just found it "War is organised murder and nothing else....politicians who took us to war should have been given the guns and told to settle their differences themselves, instead of organising nothing better than legalised mass murder"NWpostie wrote:DB1100 wrote:I have been here many times and it is a beautiful place,but I think it should only be for the Armed forces and those that serve with them,not really for the Emergency service's or Charities.The wall is a special place and a reminder of the price people pay for the follies of politicians.
I disagree.
When Total War came in, everybody was on the front line at home and abroad, the AFS fought fire caused by German bombers, The Police done their part and continue to this day sacrificing their lives for the public good, the Home Guards were never paid yet they stood to in time of crisis, they also manned the AA guns,, the ARP did a useful service ensuring their patch was safe from detection by German bombers, the Cadet Forces did their bit as messengers and support services, the GPO at the time were part of the Civil Structure of communication including secret government communications often involving travel through bombings if it was called for, also some have served in the Home Guards, Factory workers and Munition workers were also involved in Fire Watch duties to prevent their work place being destroyed, even down to the Bevan boys, even the disabled did their part, many Georges Cross were awarded to some of them in the service of their Country.
We really were in it together
I would not be attempting to follow a personal agenda by politicising their sacrifices as you seem to do. I do not object to other groups marking their sacrifices by placing memorials around the park, the only criteria is that they have served and done something for the Country and public safety.
Two people I know very well are on the Memorial wall killed in action on NI (I also found his tree) the other AFG, the third because he died after an illness instead of war even having been to the Gulf, did not count on the wall unfortunately. I remember them all,
All gave some some gave all, at the going down of the sun and in the morning I will remember them.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
I thought you were arguing just for those that had taken the King's Shilling.DB1100 wrote:Once again you have leapt in with out reading what I have wrote,the people you mention all served during the wars.You seem to want to argue for any reason.Lounge Lizard wrote:Had it been designated the 'Armed Forces Memorial Arboretum' yes but it is intentionally the 'National Memorial Arboretum' as it made no difference to a widow if her husband was wearing an Army or an ARP or Home Guard uniform when killed.DB1100 wrote:I have been here many times and it is a beautiful place,but I think it should only be for the Armed forces and those that serve with them,not really for the Emergency service's or Charities.The wall is a special place and a reminder of the price people pay for the follies of politicians.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
Clive Dunn served,as did a whole lot of actors,have you been to the arboretum? if you have you will see what I am referring to,I don't think it is the place to remember stillborn babies.It should only be for those that have lost there lives protecting the Country,the police fire brigade and the ambulance services should have their own place.Lounge Lizard wrote:I thought you were arguing just for those that had taken the King's Shilling.DB1100 wrote:Once again you have leapt in with out reading what I have wrote,the people you mention all served during the wars.You seem to want to argue for any reason.Lounge Lizard wrote:Had it been designated the 'Armed Forces Memorial Arboretum' yes but it is intentionally the 'National Memorial Arboretum' as it made no difference to a widow if her husband was wearing an Army or an ARP or Home Guard uniform when killed.DB1100 wrote:I have been here many times and it is a beautiful place,but I think it should only be for the Armed forces and those that serve with them,not really for the Emergency service's or Charities.The wall is a special place and a reminder of the price people pay for the follies of politicians.but if you want to add the likes of Clive Dunn now that's fine by me.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
Yes, a recent obituary reminded me of Clive Dunn's wartime service and, no, I've not been there, but "It commemorates and celebrates ..... all who have served and suffered as a result of conflict" and so surely a wider definition than you suggest.DB1100 wrote:Clive Dunn served,as did a whole lot of actors,have you been to the arboretum? if you have you will see what I am referring to,I don't think it is the place to remember stillborn babies.It should only be for those that have lost there lives protecting the Country,the police fire brigade and the ambulance services should have their own place.Lounge Lizard wrote:I thought you were arguing just for those that had taken the King's Shilling.DB1100 wrote:Once again you have leapt in with out reading what I have wrote,the people you mention all served during the wars.You seem to want to argue for any reason.Lounge Lizard wrote:Had it been designated the 'Armed Forces Memorial Arboretum' yes but it is intentionally the 'National Memorial Arboretum' as it made no difference to a widow if her husband was wearing an Army or an ARP or Home Guard uniform when killed.DB1100 wrote:I have been here many times and it is a beautiful place,but I think it should only be for the Armed forces and those that serve with them,not really for the Emergency service's or Charities.The wall is a special place and a reminder of the price people pay for the follies of politicians.but if you want to add the likes of Clive Dunn now that's fine by me.
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
DB1100 its not just the armed services, that have sacrificed, even TocH got a lamp there for their part in the wars, some Politician have served in the Armed forces, many have faced the fire, if we stood aside and allowed Hitler a free reign the future would be a terrible one and one which our conscience would not allow us to live with, when you sign on the line you don't choose the wars, its the Government that does, if you don't like it, you either PVR or buy yourself out.
I considered the Falklands Conflict a just war, I don't think much of the Iraq war but you do as you are told and make the best of it, my view doesn't come into it.
Harry Patch was right he knew that there would be no wars if politicians had to fight it, but the reality is that is unlikely to happen as its always PBI that had to do it, he went over top like the rest of them because of his duty, I agree with him and I do think the same, but thats neither here.
Its a National Memorial for everyone not just the Armed Forces, it would be logistical difficulty to have different memorial scattered round the country Firemen there, Police the other end of the Country, Victims of Terrorism somewhere else, to resolve all these, it was designated National Memorial not Armed Force, its the Royal British Legion that has operated it as such on behalf of the Charity, it was set up by a charity with that stated objective, if you want your own national ARMED Force memorial dig deep in your own pocket and set one up.
I considered the Falklands Conflict a just war, I don't think much of the Iraq war but you do as you are told and make the best of it, my view doesn't come into it.
Harry Patch was right he knew that there would be no wars if politicians had to fight it, but the reality is that is unlikely to happen as its always PBI that had to do it, he went over top like the rest of them because of his duty, I agree with him and I do think the same, but thats neither here.
Its a National Memorial for everyone not just the Armed Forces, it would be logistical difficulty to have different memorial scattered round the country Firemen there, Police the other end of the Country, Victims of Terrorism somewhere else, to resolve all these, it was designated National Memorial not Armed Force, its the Royal British Legion that has operated it as such on behalf of the Charity, it was set up by a charity with that stated objective, if you want your own national ARMED Force memorial dig deep in your own pocket and set one up.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
I've done charity events for some memorials there and gave my Christmas tips one year to the Palestine pals to help pay for their memorial,Michael Winner established a memorial for the police,he put up a plaque for Yvvone Fletcher where she was murdered and has done for other police who have died doing their duty,I think the arboretum is a fitting place but I don't think it's the right place for some of the groups there.I don't wish to upset anybody but have you had a walk around the place and read some of the little crosses that have been fastened to tree's?.I am not talking about the holocaust survivors or S.O.E people,anyway it's not a fitting time to argue about such things and if it helps the families of the emergency services and other groups that is more important than my thoughts.NWpostie wrote:DB1100 its not just the armed services, that have sacrificed, even TocH got a lamp there for their part in the wars, some Politician have served in the Armed forces, many have faced the fire, if we stood aside and allowed Hitler a free reign the future would be a terrible one and one which our conscience would not allow us to live with, when you sign on the line you don't choose the wars, its the Government that does, if you don't like it, you either PVR or buy yourself out.
I considered the Falklands Conflict a just war, I don't think much of the Iraq war but you do as you are told and make the best of it, my view doesn't come into it.
Harry Patch was right he knew that there would be no wars if politicians had to fight it, but the reality is that is unlikely to happen as its always PBI that had to do it, he went over top like the rest of them because of his duty, I agree with him and I do think the same, but thats neither here.
Its a National Memorial for everyone not just the Armed Forces, it would be logistical difficulty to have different memorial scattered round the country Firemen there, Police the other end of the Country, Victims of Terrorism somewhere else, to resolve all these, it was designated National Memorial not Armed Force, its the Royal British Legion that has operated it as such on behalf of the Charity, it was set up by a charity with that stated objective, if you want your own national ARMED Force memorial dig deep in your own pocket and set one up.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
As "It commemorates and celebrates ..... all who have served and suffered as a result of conflict" does this include the whole British population who lived through the 1940s as they suffered a restricted diet due to rationing ?NWpostie wrote:DB1100 its not just the armed services, that have sacrificed, even TocH got a lamp there for their part in the wars, some Politician have served in the Armed forces, many have faced the fire, if we stood aside and allowed Hitler a free reign the future would be a terrible one and one which our conscience would not allow us to live with, when you sign on the line you don't choose the wars, its the Government that does, if you don't like it, you either PVR or buy yourself out.
I considered the Falklands Conflict a just war, I don't think much of the Iraq war but you do as you are told and make the best of it, my view doesn't come into it.
Harry Patch was right he knew that there would be no wars if politicians had to fight it, but the reality is that is unlikely to happen as its always PBI that had to do it, he went over top like the rest of them because of his duty, I agree with him and I do think the same, but thats neither here.
Its a National Memorial for everyone not just the Armed Forces, it would be logistical difficulty to have different memorial scattered round the country Firemen there, Police the other end of the Country, Victims of Terrorism somewhere else, to resolve all these, it was designated National Memorial not Armed Force, its the Royal British Legion that has operated it as such on behalf of the Charity, it was set up by a charity with that stated objective, if you want your own national ARMED Force memorial dig deep in your own pocket and set one up.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
Judging my the amount of fat people I see shuffling around we should bring back rationing,there is nothing more disgusting than a morbidly obese person leaning on a trolley full of stickies blocking an aisle in tesco'sLounge Lizard wrote:As "It commemorates and celebrates ..... all who have served and suffered as a result of conflict" does this include the whole British population who lived through the 1940s as they suffered a restricted diet due to rationing ?NWpostie wrote:DB1100 its not just the armed services, that have sacrificed, even TocH got a lamp there for their part in the wars, some Politician have served in the Armed forces, many have faced the fire, if we stood aside and allowed Hitler a free reign the future would be a terrible one and one which our conscience would not allow us to live with, when you sign on the line you don't choose the wars, its the Government that does, if you don't like it, you either PVR or buy yourself out.
I considered the Falklands Conflict a just war, I don't think much of the Iraq war but you do as you are told and make the best of it, my view doesn't come into it.
Harry Patch was right he knew that there would be no wars if politicians had to fight it, but the reality is that is unlikely to happen as its always PBI that had to do it, he went over top like the rest of them because of his duty, I agree with him and I do think the same, but thats neither here.
Its a National Memorial for everyone not just the Armed Forces, it would be logistical difficulty to have different memorial scattered round the country Firemen there, Police the other end of the Country, Victims of Terrorism somewhere else, to resolve all these, it was designated National Memorial not Armed Force, its the Royal British Legion that has operated it as such on behalf of the Charity, it was set up by a charity with that stated objective, if you want your own national ARMED Force memorial dig deep in your own pocket and set one up.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
NWpostie
- Posts: 3620
- Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
Yes without a doubt, everybody shared the burden, that said not everybody are angels, there are some that would know somebody or a Spiv who can get something for you for a few quid through the black market or under the shelf, it always happened, not everything was rationed, potatoes, fruit, fish, fish and chips, coffee and beer were not rationed you got them when they were available, it was considered good for morale.Lounge Lizard wrote:As "It commemorates and celebrates ..... all who have served and suffered as a result of conflict" does this include the whole British population who lived through the 1940s as they suffered a restricted diet due to rationing ?NWpostie wrote:DB1100 its not just the armed services, that have sacrificed, even TocH got a lamp there for their part in the wars, some Politician have served in the Armed forces, many have faced the fire, if we stood aside and allowed Hitler a free reign the future would be a terrible one and one which our conscience would not allow us to live with, when you sign on the line you don't choose the wars, its the Government that does, if you don't like it, you either PVR or buy yourself out.
I considered the Falklands Conflict a just war, I don't think much of the Iraq war but you do as you are told and make the best of it, my view doesn't come into it.
Harry Patch was right he knew that there would be no wars if politicians had to fight it, but the reality is that is unlikely to happen as its always PBI that had to do it, he went over top like the rest of them because of his duty, I agree with him and I do think the same, but thats neither here.
Its a National Memorial for everyone not just the Armed Forces, it would be logistical difficulty to have different memorial scattered round the country Firemen there, Police the other end of the Country, Victims of Terrorism somewhere else, to resolve all these, it was designated National Memorial not Armed Force, its the Royal British Legion that has operated it as such on behalf of the Charity, it was set up by a charity with that stated objective, if you want your own national ARMED Force memorial dig deep in your own pocket and set one up.
Good idea about rations for fat people, it will be difficult to implement because human rights, during a TV documentary 1940s house, they found the participants came out healthier and leaner.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_1940s_House" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not wishing to pick an argument with you DB1100, the people who planned this must have a general idea of what they were aiming for, a centrally located place for remembrance, there must have been a reason for the Still born memorial, the monuments are all vetted before inclusion and that is possibly what they are trying to do, make it inclusive not exclusive.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: Postal worker plan for National Memorial Arboretum
I honestly thought that it was originally set up as an armed forces memorial,but if it brings comfort to the families fair play,on a side note,it's nice to see that the Russian convoy Vets have finally been honoured for their service and also glad to see Ben Parkinson has been awarded an M.B.E.
For we were soldiers once,and young