ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Iva bigredbag
Posts: 167
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 19:33
Gender: Male

Re: Question

Post by Iva bigredbag »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Iva bigredbag wrote:
fng wrote:I don't fancy after walking for 4 + hours to then go and stand about waiting for buses and then sitting on a bus like a damp squid for 2 + hours.

I will say I cannot make it in, unless you come and pick me up and drop me back when I'm finished :left:

A cab would cost me 25 quid each way ! I'm only a part-timer, so it would end up costing me money if I took cab there and back, and I'd be working for peanuts if I took cab there and bus back. Im just making ends meet as it is with this job :hmmmm

Yes I'll pedal 10 miles to work, then do a 4 + hour duty then pedal 10 miles back home. Mate I'm not Bradley Wiggens ! The above is a recipe for an early grave in my opinion. So I'll say pass on the pushbike.


Sounds like you have already answered your own problem :dance ....good luck with the woe is me, and enjoy making ends meet on the dole queue rather than miss a days wage by paying out on a taxi.
Your presuming that I cannot get another job straight away. Well your presumptions are wrong. I like my job as a postie, but at the end of the day it is only a part-time 22 hour a week job, there are plenty of other jobs out there if your willing to look, or if you know the right people; and if I did lose this job, then I have no doubt at all that I can get another job very quickly. So I don't sit there being the DOM's lapdog because I am worried about being on the dole.
So if you aren't bothered about the job why the long drawn out tale of woe about getting to work and triggering a stage 3 coupled with the fact that work is plentiful - if you're prepared to look - well maybe getting the 10 miles to work would be easier if you were prepared to look. Perhaps it was just the heavy day in prospect that made your car break down.
I never said I was not bothered about my job, as I said I like my job and I would like to keep it, but people trying to scare me with tales of the dole queue, simply does not work. The FACT is there ARE plenty of jobs out there if your willing to look, it only took me two weeks to find this job FFS; and trust me I have had plenty of heavy days, I am not complaing about heavy days, and I certainly would not take a day off becasue it was going to be heavy, I was merely pointing out that I am not prepared to spend more money than what I am earning to travel to work, and I am not prepared to spend two plus hours to travel to work either, and I am certainly not prepared to do an iron man every day, especially not for a part-time job.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Question

Post by dvbuk55 »

Iva bigredbag wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Iva bigredbag wrote:
fng wrote:I don't fancy after walking for 4 + hours to then go and stand about waiting for buses and then sitting on a bus like a damp squid for 2 + hours.

I will say I cannot make it in, unless you come and pick me up and drop me back when I'm finished :left:

A cab would cost me 25 quid each way ! I'm only a part-timer, so it would end up costing me money if I took cab there and back, and I'd be working for peanuts if I took cab there and bus back. Im just making ends meet as it is with this job :hmmmm

Yes I'll pedal 10 miles to work, then do a 4 + hour duty then pedal 10 miles back home. Mate I'm not Bradley Wiggens ! The above is a recipe for an early grave in my opinion. So I'll say pass on the pushbike.


Sounds like you have already answered your own problem :dance ....good luck with the woe is me, and enjoy making ends meet on the dole queue rather than miss a days wage by paying out on a taxi.
Your presuming that I cannot get another job straight away. Well your presumptions are wrong. I like my job as a postie, but at the end of the day it is only a part-time 22 hour a week job, there are plenty of other jobs out there if your willing to look, or if you know the right people; and if I did lose this job, then I have no doubt at all that I can get another job very quickly. So I don't sit there being the DOM's lapdog because I am worried about being on the dole.
So if you aren't bothered about the job why the long drawn out tale of woe about getting to work and triggering a stage 3 coupled with the fact that work is plentiful - if you're prepared to look - well maybe getting the 10 miles to work would be easier if you were prepared to look. Perhaps it was just the heavy day in prospect that made your car break down.
I never said I was not bothered about my job, as I said I like my job and I would like to keep it, but people trying to scare me with tales of the dole queue, simply does not work. The FACT is there ARE plenty of jobs out there if your willing to look, it only took me two weeks to find this job FFS; and trust me I have had plenty of heavy days, I am not complaing about heavy days, and I certainly would not take a day off becasue it was going to be heavy, I was merely pointing out that I am not prepared to spend more money than what I am earning to travel to work, and I am not prepared to spend two plus hours to travel to work either, and I am certainly not prepared to do an iron man every day, especially not for a part-time job.
Every day? Iron Man? Flights of fancy there I think - have you no friends, relatives who could have given you a lift in and caught the bus back? Marks for effort - 0.
Iva bigredbag
Posts: 167
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 19:33
Gender: Male

Re: Question

Post by Iva bigredbag »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Iva bigredbag wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Iva bigredbag wrote:
fng wrote:I don't fancy after walking for 4 + hours to then go and stand about waiting for buses and then sitting on a bus like a damp squid for 2 + hours.

I will say I cannot make it in, unless you come and pick me up and drop me back when I'm finished :left:

A cab would cost me 25 quid each way ! I'm only a part-timer, so it would end up costing me money if I took cab there and back, and I'd be working for peanuts if I took cab there and bus back. Im just making ends meet as it is with this job :hmmmm

Yes I'll pedal 10 miles to work, then do a 4 + hour duty then pedal 10 miles back home. Mate I'm not Bradley Wiggens ! The above is a recipe for an early grave in my opinion. So I'll say pass on the pushbike.


Sounds like you have already answered your own problem :dance ....good luck with the woe is me, and enjoy making ends meet on the dole queue rather than miss a days wage by paying out on a taxi.
Your presuming that I cannot get another job straight away. Well your presumptions are wrong. I like my job as a postie, but at the end of the day it is only a part-time 22 hour a week job, there are plenty of other jobs out there if your willing to look, or if you know the right people; and if I did lose this job, then I have no doubt at all that I can get another job very quickly. So I don't sit there being the DOM's lapdog because I am worried about being on the dole.
So if you aren't bothered about the job why the long drawn out tale of woe about getting to work and triggering a stage 3 coupled with the fact that work is plentiful - if you're prepared to look - well maybe getting the 10 miles to work would be easier if you were prepared to look. Perhaps it was just the heavy day in prospect that made your car break down.
I never said I was not bothered about my job, as I said I like my job and I would like to keep it, but people trying to scare me with tales of the dole queue, simply does not work. The FACT is there ARE plenty of jobs out there if your willing to look, it only took me two weeks to find this job FFS; and trust me I have had plenty of heavy days, I am not complaing about heavy days, and I certainly would not take a day off becasue it was going to be heavy, I was merely pointing out that I am not prepared to spend more money than what I am earning to travel to work, and I am not prepared to spend two plus hours to travel to work either, and I am certainly not prepared to do an iron man every day, especially not for a part-time job.
Every day? Iron Man? Flights of fancy there I think - have you no friends, relatives who could have given you a lift in and caught the bus back? Marks for effort - 0.
Believe it or not, they work ! so no i did not know anyone available to take me in today.

By the way '0' ?? non sequitur mr judgemental, but thank you for the rating anyway, though I am pretty sure you must have really big fingers and you have pressed the hyphen key instead of the 1 key by mistake.
:cuppa
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Question

Post by DGP1 »

Iva bigredbag wrote: By the way '0' ?? non sequitur mr judgemental, but thank you for the rating anyway, though I am pretty sure you must have really big fingers and you have pressed the hyphen key instead of the 1 key by mistake.
:cuppa
He just wants you to divide by it :wink:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
Iva bigredbag
Posts: 167
Joined: 19 Dec 2012, 19:33
Gender: Male

Re: Question

Post by Iva bigredbag »

DGP1 wrote:
Iva bigredbag wrote: By the way '0' ?? non sequitur mr judgemental, but thank you for the rating anyway, though I am pretty sure you must have really big fingers and you have pressed the hyphen key instead of the 1 key by mistake.
:cuppa
He just wants you to divide by it :wink:
Oh right, for a moment I was thinking that he was going to be very constructive and begin a mathematical sequence analogous to that of Fibonacci, that could then be used to plot a possible route I could take to the DO. :hmmmm
twobags
Posts: 299
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 18:49
Gender: Male

Re: Question

Post by twobags »

Simple answer if they like you or you are placid[ a push over] your ok , if they dont like you or you are gobby [honest] it would be a stage 3 :crazy:
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Question

Post by dvbuk55 »

twobags wrote:Simple answer if they like you or you are placid[ a push over] your ok , if they dont like you or you are gobby [honest] it would be a stage 3 :crazy:
Pretty much bound to be a stage 3 then :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Question

Post by wabbithunta »

Had something similar to this at my old job. A car breakdown meant someone had about the same mileage to do to work each day. He phone up and told them he'd be late each day until his car was fixed. They said "We employ you to work for us from 6am - 2pm and 2pm - 10pm. It's your responsibility to get to work each day and not ours and how you get here is your responsibility and not ours." They soon got it sorted out. Bike, bus, friends etc all helped them out until they got their car fixed.

Seems to me you have a problem that you want people on here to fix for you, helpful ideas and suggestions were made and you don't seem to care for them.
Some of these people posting on here have a lot of experience you may wish to call on one day. When that day comes you may well be : whistle in the wind when you want advice/help on here.
Don't bite the hand that feeds you. :no no

How you get to and from work is down to you and not down to Royal Mail.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"