ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Cars on delivery....yes again!
-
stevezx7r
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
They have my insurance details along with tax/MOT but I'm not sure if this "delivery method" has happened at my place yet. Given the amount of cars in use I'd say not yet.
The thing is, what option do I have? My contract has me working from 9am - 1pm although I tend to finish around 2pm (later at this time of year), I have two kids I need to collect from school so personal transport is essential for me. I'd be laughed at if I asked for a van!
The thing is, what option do I have? My contract has me working from 9am - 1pm although I tend to finish around 2pm (later at this time of year), I have two kids I need to collect from school so personal transport is essential for me. I'd be laughed at if I asked for a van!
-
cyberheater
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 274
- Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 18:36
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
Your option is that you tell them you can't work pass 1pm every single day and only take out enough to take you to 1pm. Eventually they will figure it out.stevezx7r wrote:They have my insurance details along with tax/MOT but I'm not sure if this "delivery method" has happened at my place yet. Given the amount of cars in use I'd say not yet.
The thing is, what option do I have? My contract has me working from 9am - 1pm although I tend to finish around 2pm (later at this time of year), I have two kids I need to collect from school so personal transport is essential for me. I'd be laughed at if I asked for a van!
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
This thread is depressing, cars on delivery are supposed to be a thing of the past, disciplinable, and are a financial prop for the company at the cost of the employee. It's also an excellent reason to franchise the rounds in the near (bright?) new future as a dynamic new management will no doubt suggest that it is operating in a part franchised (i.e. own transport) mode already. Fools!
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32819
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
Roll on the revisions,working or not so this s**t can stop ffs.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
cyclemech1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
+1cyberheater wrote:Your option is that you tell them you can't work pass 1pm every single day and only take out enough to take you to 1pm. Eventually they will figure it out.stevezx7r wrote:They have my insurance details along with tax/MOT but I'm not sure if this "delivery method" has happened at my place yet. Given the amount of cars in use I'd say not yet.
The thing is, what option do I have? My contract has me working from 9am - 1pm although I tend to finish around 2pm (later at this time of year), I have two kids I need to collect from school so personal transport is essential for me. I'd be laughed at if I asked for a van!
It's up to your manager to get you to your first delivery point, whether that's by van, public transport or bike. Also your duty should have a description sheet (used to be called P318) that should tell you how the duty is to be performed and the times involved.
If you are pre-revision and on a town walk, it would be my guess that you should be using a bike. If that is the case, insist on using one and have bag drops to replenish you.
As has been said, using your own car is a mugs game.
-
chooch
- Posts: 323
- Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
Where's the union re. this?
-
stevezx7r
- Posts: 20
- Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
We don't have bikes on any of our rounds so that's out of the question. I've never been approached by the union so no idea if they could do anything about it, tbh, they'll know about the car situation anyway.
I remember a guy I trained with once or twice who didn't have a car and the round was a PITA due to drop points etc - lots of dead walking to get the next bag etc.
I'd sooner use my own car given the options of waiting for drivers/public transport etc.
I remember a guy I trained with once or twice who didn't have a car and the round was a PITA due to drop points etc - lots of dead walking to get the next bag etc.
I'd sooner use my own car given the options of waiting for drivers/public transport etc.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
Do you know why his round was a pain in the arse?stevezx7r wrote:I remember a guy I trained with once or twice who didn't have a car and the round was a PITA due to drop points etc - lots of dead walking to get the next bag etc.
Because the muppet who had it before him probably used his own car.
That's why it's less hassle for you to use your car on delivery,because you've all,as an office allowed Royal Mail to reduce the bag drops.pouch boxes and transport in your office to the bare minimum by using your own cars.
You've cost people jobs and you've cost yourselves extra expense on fuel and wear and tear on your vehicle but you've saved the business money that's helped pay manager's bonuses so you should be very proud of yourselves.
Well done.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
cyclemech1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 334
- Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 20:46
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
And what does your 318 say about the method of delivery? If you haven't got one on your walk, ask your DOM for a copy.stevezx7r wrote:We don't have bikes on any of our rounds so that's out of the question. I've never been approached by the union so no idea if they could do anything about it, tbh, they'll know about the car situation anyway.
I remember a guy I trained with once or twice who didn't have a car and the round was a PITA due to drop points etc - lots of dead walking to get the next bag etc.
I'd sooner use my own car given the options of waiting for drivers/public transport etc.
-
chooch
- Posts: 323
- Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
fishtank wrote:
"Do you know why his round was a pain in the arse?
Because the muppet who had it before him probably used his own car.
That's why it's less hassle for you to use your car on delivery,because you've all,as an office allowed Royal Mail to reduce the bag drops.pouch boxes and transport in your office to the bare minimum by using your own cars.
You've cost people jobs and you've cost yourselves extra expense on fuel and wear and tear on your vehicle but you've saved the business money that's helped pay manager's bonuses so you should be very proud of yourselves."
Do you think the business gives a flying f*** re. us and what we've 'done for the company', short-term gains - long-term pain.. Why has the union allowed this situation to continue? rep.s were part of our revision consultation re. P&L and, for our office at least just amalgamated the faults of the past into the sparkly new Revision.. loads of 'dead walking' and standing around waiting.. . feel like a sodden Zombie with todays load and the peein' rain.. !
"Do you know why his round was a pain in the arse?
Because the muppet who had it before him probably used his own car.
That's why it's less hassle for you to use your car on delivery,because you've all,as an office allowed Royal Mail to reduce the bag drops.pouch boxes and transport in your office to the bare minimum by using your own cars.
You've cost people jobs and you've cost yourselves extra expense on fuel and wear and tear on your vehicle but you've saved the business money that's helped pay manager's bonuses so you should be very proud of yourselves."
Do you think the business gives a flying f*** re. us and what we've 'done for the company', short-term gains - long-term pain.. Why has the union allowed this situation to continue? rep.s were part of our revision consultation re. P&L and, for our office at least just amalgamated the faults of the past into the sparkly new Revision.. loads of 'dead walking' and standing around waiting.. . feel like a sodden Zombie with todays load and the peein' rain.. !
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
No.chooch wrote:Do you think the business gives a flying f*** re. us and what we've 'done for the company'. !
I was being sarcastic.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
We are 18-months into our revision & we still have one or two individuals who use their own motors.
Let's be honest,as long as the frames are clear of mail,the majority of Managers don't give two funks as to what happens to it,as long as it gets delivered.
Let's be honest,as long as the frames are clear of mail,the majority of Managers don't give two funks as to what happens to it,as long as it gets delivered.
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
WornOutPosty
- Posts: 158
- Joined: 01 Oct 2012, 20:07
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
I work in a smallish office and 80% of people use their own car, probably around 25 people.
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1540
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
Of course they don't because if anything does go wrong it wont be them getting done for you using your car.Cedar_Room wrote:We are 18-months into our revision & we still have one or two individuals who use their own motors.
Let's be honest,as long as the frames are clear of mail,the majority of Managers don't give two funks as to what happens to it,as long as it gets delivered.
-
Sharkeyes
- Posts: 141
- Joined: 13 Sep 2010, 18:47
- Gender: Male
Re: Cars on delivery....yes again!
What you CAN do for convenience is to park your car Where you will finish on the walk before you start work, then if you have somewhere secure on the walk to leave the bike, you can then ride to the office, then back out to the walk once prepped up.
When finished last letter, dump the bike back in the same place for tomorrow then go home in your car.
You are not using it for work this way because you have finished out.
If you have a good mate on the walk near by, maybe he could take your DNAs back to the office for you.
YOU MUST HAVE BUSINESS INSURANCE EVEN IF YOY ARE CONVEYING YOUR BIKE IN A PEOPLE CARRIER OR ANYTHING CONNECTED TO YOUR EMPLOYMENT THAT HAS VALUE.
FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RENDER THE VEHICLE BEING SEIZED BY POLICE FOR HAVING NO VALID INSURANCE.
THUS INCLUDES MANAGERS TAKING STAFF OUT TO WALKS IN THEIR OWN CARS.
When finished last letter, dump the bike back in the same place for tomorrow then go home in your car.
You are not using it for work this way because you have finished out.
If you have a good mate on the walk near by, maybe he could take your DNAs back to the office for you.
YOU MUST HAVE BUSINESS INSURANCE EVEN IF YOY ARE CONVEYING YOUR BIKE IN A PEOPLE CARRIER OR ANYTHING CONNECTED TO YOUR EMPLOYMENT THAT HAS VALUE.
FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RENDER THE VEHICLE BEING SEIZED BY POLICE FOR HAVING NO VALID INSURANCE.
THUS INCLUDES MANAGERS TAKING STAFF OUT TO WALKS IN THEIR OWN CARS.