ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Delivering to neighbours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Re: Delivering to neighbours

Post by steve1873 »

bydand91 wrote:If you have your own duty and are left on it you get to know your customers and you don't need to leave with neighbours. I have a country duty,but I can imagine in the town it must be a nightmare. :cuppa
All very well and good, but might I enquire as to what you do with packet if recipient is not in and you are not leaving with a neighbour? Because we have been told it is quite simply deliver to recipient, deliver to neigbour or write P739 and return item to office. Even on tracked items that say "leave in safe place" etc. we have been told that is a no no.

It is all very well and good feeling like you are doing someone a favour by leaving a packet in a shed, or a bin or some other "safe place", but if that item then goes missing, whos responisbilty is it?

Is it really worth risking your employment by doing someone, who in all liklihood is a stranger that we occasionally acknowledge with a hello, a favour? Will that person pay your wages if the local thief happens to spot you leaving parcel in "safe place" steals it, and as a result you are dismissed?

Apologies if I have picked you up wrong!
russ0r
Posts: 33
Joined: 29 Oct 2008, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering to neighbours

Post by russ0r »

wabbithunta wrote: What are you doing leaving at this time then? SD's etc?
Dream on!
In our DO drivers go out early doors, usually about 7.30 and clear some of their packets. Come back for bags and 2nd lot of packets etc. then go out again about 10.30.

Isn't this a common thing?
claude
Posts: 30
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 21:10
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering to neighbours

Post by claude »

In reply to my original post, the managers have since stopped counting the number of packets we are taking out and have started leaving us to get on with it. I think that since we stood up to them and told them that it was ridiculous to set targets of packets delivered, they realised that they had no right to do this and it was simply a way to get us to improve productivity.
Just for information, our duty is from 11.00am to 7.00pm (including breaks) and we are working on 1960's type of town housing estates.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering to neighbours

Post by POSTMAN »

russ0r wrote:
wabbithunta wrote: What are you doing leaving at this time then? SD's etc?
Dream on!
In our DO drivers go out early doors, usually about 7.30 and clear some of their packets. Come back for bags and 2nd lot of packets etc. then go out again about 10.30.

Isn't this a common thing?
Like my office,but no P&L revision as yet.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Delivering to neighbours

Post by wabbithunta »

POSTMAN wrote:
russ0r wrote:
wabbithunta wrote: What are you doing leaving at this time then? SD's etc?
Dream on!
In our DO drivers go out early doors, usually about 7.30 and clear some of their packets. Come back for bags and 2nd lot of packets etc. then go out again about 10.30.

Isn't this a common thing?
Like my office,but no P&L revision as yet.

Ain't you the lucky ones.. :) Park and Loop is a real pain, hence my Q about the time you go out on delivery.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering to neighbours

Post by TheCobra »

If it's a nice area and I know the neighbour's might be in, I attempt to leave it with one neighbour, if they aren't in that's the end of it, can write the card while you knock on the neighbours house. Obviously I don't do this for people with massive driveways where even getting to the neighbour's house is a mission.

If it's a crap area I card it straight away and don't mess about. Simples.
cyberheater
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 274
Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 18:36
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering to neighbours

Post by cyberheater »

Some of the neighbours on my walk are being quite vocal about being fed up as they are in and they live next door to folk who constantly order stuff and are never in.

I'm going to stop leaving stuff with neighbours from now on.
chooch
Posts: 323
Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
Gender: Male

Re: Delivering to neighbours

Post by chooch »

It's at your discretion - I don't cos 'it's more than my jobs worth'

ffs, I'd never thought I'd see the day I'd say that.. and for this thankless j.o.b. too !!