Maybe this guy doesnt know any better or is under pressure himself and finds this theconly way to cope.
Or maybe he knows exactly what he is doing & is taking advantage of his partner (you).
If the latter is the case I would love him as a partner oh what a pleasure work would be every day having him bend to my way of working
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Not sure what to think.
-
gb93
- Posts: 1462
- Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
- Gender: Male
Re: Not sure what to think.
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Re: Not sure what to think.
I am going to be honest here and I appreciate this advice is not going to apply to everyone, as not everyone wants to create confrontation. We have not had our revision yet so are not van sharing as yet, but if I was in your situation this is what I would do...
I would go in at my scheduled time. No half hour extra - unless it suits you AND it has been pre-arranged with management to ensure you are paid for this time.
Secondly, if my partner didn't want to take a break - fair enough. He could travel out, do 30-40 mins of his delivery then come back to collect me from the office OR he could wait and also take a break. If he didn't do either and I felt the merest hint of harrasment, I would be straight in to see the DOM accompanied by my union rep (or a witness if rep wasn't available) to inform him of the perceived harassment and request that he sorted it out before I am forced to take it any further. If this was not sorted out and continued for ONE MORE day after the discussion with the DOM then I would be contacting the bullying & harassment hotline and would also be taking out a grievance against the manager for failing to take measures to prevent said bullying and harassment.
Lastly, if the duty is over running I would either make arrangements on a daily basis to finish on my time and cutting off any mail that I require, or I would work over to complete - as long as I was paid (whichever suited ME).
I would go in at my scheduled time. No half hour extra - unless it suits you AND it has been pre-arranged with management to ensure you are paid for this time.
Secondly, if my partner didn't want to take a break - fair enough. He could travel out, do 30-40 mins of his delivery then come back to collect me from the office OR he could wait and also take a break. If he didn't do either and I felt the merest hint of harrasment, I would be straight in to see the DOM accompanied by my union rep (or a witness if rep wasn't available) to inform him of the perceived harassment and request that he sorted it out before I am forced to take it any further. If this was not sorted out and continued for ONE MORE day after the discussion with the DOM then I would be contacting the bullying & harassment hotline and would also be taking out a grievance against the manager for failing to take measures to prevent said bullying and harassment.
Lastly, if the duty is over running I would either make arrangements on a daily basis to finish on my time and cutting off any mail that I require, or I would work over to complete - as long as I was paid (whichever suited ME).
-
Sergeant Blast
- Posts: 140
- Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 22:09
- Gender: Male
- Location: Up North
Re: Not sure what to think.
I blame the DOM. Every new recruit should be told their entitlments before starting work. Of course so often this does not happen as it's not in the DOMs interest. To my mind not informing the employee about claiming o/t and meal break entitlements is deception and theft. This happened to me and I took out a grievance against my dom. Your van share partner is probably as ignorant on this as you are. I suspect when o/t is claimed it gets docked to some degree as was my experience. This encourages people to come in early to complete their duty in scheduled hours so they don't have to claim o/t and then have the arguments. Guys who then want to just work their hours are then seen as troublemakers and are bullied. RM knows this all goes on but turn a blind eye. It all helps achieve their budget targets and the dom gets to keep more of his bonus. This company is riddled with corruption.
-
Budfrog
- Posts: 893
- Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19
Re: Not sure what to think.
Slightly off topic I know but managers are probably the worst culprits for claiming just about everything possible for themselves and withholding it for others.
I witnessed a well known MCM during IA tell other managers that they couldn't claim the congestion charge for travel to Mount P ... but then saw him claim it for himself.
I also spent a number of years at the Mount and whilst overtime was available and highly lucrative for all grades back then ... the amount of overbooking by admin managers either on pressure ED or coming in at the weekend to complete tasks that should have been done within duty time was scandalous. Added to which managers regularly denied LAs the opportunity of ED for menial tasks (re-labelling fittings etc) only to do it themselves.
What OPGs in deliveries need to do is claim what is rightfully their entitlement ... if it doesn't match the budget then the budget needs re-aligning ... simple!
I witnessed a well known MCM during IA tell other managers that they couldn't claim the congestion charge for travel to Mount P ... but then saw him claim it for himself.
I also spent a number of years at the Mount and whilst overtime was available and highly lucrative for all grades back then ... the amount of overbooking by admin managers either on pressure ED or coming in at the weekend to complete tasks that should have been done within duty time was scandalous. Added to which managers regularly denied LAs the opportunity of ED for menial tasks (re-labelling fittings etc) only to do it themselves.
What OPGs in deliveries need to do is claim what is rightfully their entitlement ... if it doesn't match the budget then the budget needs re-aligning ... simple!
-
chooch
- Posts: 323
- Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Not sure what to think.
Budfrog wrote:"..the job..should be done in a safe manner whilst maintaining a good work rate."..
I'm writing that on the palm of my hand..
DOM /Lino, whoever.. " 'Unreasonable request' ", Chooch "
Speak to the hand"
I'm writing that on the palm of my hand..
DOM /Lino, whoever.. " 'Unreasonable request' ", Chooch "
-
deanyboy
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 04 Aug 2011, 12:27
- Gender: Male
Re: Not sure what to think.
UPDATE - Actually been booking over time this week. Been doing 4 hours overtime each day, cant let them get away with that.
What annoys me is I never got overtime pay for last year, due to not being informed by the manager or my work colleague about the rights and rules of over time (I was new to the job). The more I read on this forum the more I learn how bad my manager is. You should never be made to feel guilty about booking over time.
What annoys me is I never got overtime pay for last year, due to not being informed by the manager or my work colleague about the rights and rules of over time (I was new to the job). The more I read on this forum the more I learn how bad my manager is. You should never be made to feel guilty about booking over time.
-
TheCobra
- Posts: 249
- Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Not sure what to think.
Better late than never I guess!deanyboy wrote:UPDATE - Actually been booking over time this week. Been doing 4 hours overtime each day, cant let them get away with that.
What annoys me is I never got overtime pay for last year, due to not being informed by the manager or my work colleague about the rights and rules of over time (I was new to the job). The more I read on this forum the more I learn how bad my manager is. You should never be made to feel guilty about booking over time.