ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Siberia

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Siberia

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Postman who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Siberia

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... ia-1485440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Ware left the UK and became a peasant farmer in the tiny community of Dubinka after a bitter divorce left him feeling suicidal

A British postman who went missing 20 years ago has turned up at a new address – in a remote Siberian village 50km from the nearest road.

Michael Ware, originally from Exmoor, left the UK and became a peasant farmer in the tiny community of Dubinka after a bitter divorce left him feeling suicidal.

But the 55-year-old is now happily re- married after falling in love with a local girl, Tatiana, who was 18 at the time.

He also adopted her son, Nikolai, from another relationship and they have two children of their own, Alexander, 18, and 16-year-old Veronika.

Exile Michael said: “I have no regrets coming to Siberia. It’s beautiful – a long winter with lots of sunshine and a nice mild summer. Plenty of fresh air and many beautiful places.”

The former Royal Mail man has swapped his early-morning rounds in Somerset for braving minus 40-degree temperatures to look after the animals. These include 40 sheep, 14 cows, 10 chickens and two pigs.

“In winter, our day starts at 8am and ends at 11pm to midnight,” explained Michael. “Shovelling snow, cutting firewood, looking after the cows and sheep, it takes all day. The only free days I get are if I’m sick.”

He is now accepted as one of the locals, in the village which has just 15 residents. One babushka, a Russian grandmother, said of Mikhail, as he is known: “You can’t tell him from the rest of us anymore.”

Looking for a new start, Michael joined a party of 10 UK farmers who went to explore agricultural opportunities in post-Communist Russia in 1992.

Nine of the group quickly returned home after traipsing around Siberia – but Michael stayed.

And he has said he will remain in his freezing cold paradise forever – though he does miss family back in the UK.

He has three children with his ex-wife, who he has never seen before.

“I have no information about the family I left in England,” he told The Siberian Times . “I tried to find out about them on the internet but failed. I don’t even know what they look like now.

“I haven’t got Russian citizenship yet – first I must pass an exam in Russian, but I can’t learn the grammar. Every five years I extend my residency permit.

“Nobody can change their own blood. I’ll always be an Englishman. But now Siberia is my home.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Sib

Post by fishtank »

He has three children with his ex-wife, who he has never seen before.
That doesn't make a lot of sense unless she was expecting triplets when he left in which case i'm not surprised he left for Siberia. :nervous
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16702
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Sib

Post by clashcityrocker »

Does it mean he's never seen the children or the ex-wife?
Obviously conception would still be possible......if a little unorthodox.

I think that article is what is known as PPJ.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
houseoflords
Posts: 352
Joined: 06 Feb 2012, 22:25
Gender: Male

Re: Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Sib

Post by houseoflords »

I like the bit about first he must pass a test in Russian, not like England hey? You dont even have to speak English or care about England or it's values to live here.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Sib

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

houseoflords wrote:I like the bit about first he must pass a test in Russian, not like England hey? You dont even have to speak English or care about England or it's values to live here.
Live what as in come here to settle and become a citizen, just as he is trying to do.

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can apply for British citizenship if:

you’re 18 or over
you’re of sound mind - eg you can make your own decisions (or have someone applying on your behalf who can)
you’re of good character
you will continue to live in the UK
you’re able to communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic
you’ve passed the Life in the UK Test or have completed an English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) course along with citizenship classes
sounds the same to me :hmmmm :hmmmm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
jmcg
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 15:50
Gender: Male

Re: Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Sib

Post by jmcg »

some of the casuals in my m.c. struggle with the english language..but royal mail likes that, amazon make them do a literacy test! :sad:
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Sib

Post by General Mannerheim »

Daddy is that you. after all these years.... I feel a family reunion coming on.
Wonder if my Numbnuts DOM will buy it I could do with a few weeks off. :nana :nana
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
steven100
Posts: 1391
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 12:35
Gender: Male

Re: Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Sib

Post by steven100 »

I'm sure when the child support agency catch up with for non payment he'll be sucidal again and leave for another twenty years :Very Happy :Very Happy .
Red Robbo
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 680
Joined: 31 Jan 2012, 09:23
Gender: Male

Re: Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Sib

Post by Red Robbo »

If he left for a career break would he be entitled to VR if it's available ?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Sib

Post by fishtank »

“Nobody can change their own blood".
Yes they can.
Just ask Lance Armstrong.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Sib

Post by NWpostie »

In the photo the daughter looks a stunner :)
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Postie who went missing 20 years ago sent himself to Sib

Post by Lounge Lizard »

NWpostie wrote:In the photo the daughter looks a stunner :)
"a remote Siberian village 50km from the nearest road" - a bit like parts of Exmoor really. :Very Happy .
In the photo it looks as if he's more than 50km from the nearest decent barber. :crazy: