ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sack of recorded mail found dumped in street - Bristol

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Sack of recorded mail found dumped in street - Bristol

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Sack-rec ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AN investigation is underway after a bag full of recorded delivery mail was found dumped in a street in Bristol.

Martin Ash, 46, was walking his dog along St Peter's Rise in Headley Park on Thursday evening when he spotted a green sack in the middle of the road.

As cars were swerving to avoid the bag, Mr Ash, a night shift manager at a windscreen distribution warehouse, went to move it, concerned it could cause an accident.

But when he picked it up he was shocked to see the bag was full of around 20 recorded delivery items, from parcels to letters and jiffy bags.

The sack had a label on it stating the items were first class collection and priority service items and had come from the Bristol Mail Centre.

Mr Ash, who lives at St Peter's Rise about 200 metres away from where he found the sack, said: "I saw the sack in the road and went to get it as I was worried that cars were having to avoid it and it may cause an accident.

"When I picked it up I noticed it was open and full of recorded delivery mail.

"The bag had been hit by cars and had been damaged.

"There was a mix of items inside including letters and parcels so I decided it would be best to hand it in to police."

Mr Ash took the sack to Broadbury Road Police Station on his way to work to hand it to officers.

He added: "I just wanted to get the sack back to its rightful owners.

"I have no idea why it had ended up in the middle of the road.

"Perhaps it had fallen out of a lorry or van or perhaps it had even been stolen.

"These are items that people have paid extra to have delivered and I don't think it's a very good service by Royal Mail if they end up lying in the middle of the road.

"In the run-up to Christmas a lot of these items could have been cards or presents with people paying for recorded delivery to ensure they got delivered.

"If it was me and I was relying on a recorded delivery service to get my items sent I would be pretty upset."

Royal Mail chiefs said an inquiry into how the mail ended up in the road was underway and the matter was being taken very seriously.

Royal Mail spokesman Adrian Booth said: "We would like to thank the customer who picked up this bag of mail which appears to have fallen from the back of a post van on Thursday evening.

"We are conducting an urgent internal inquiry to find out what might have happened.

"The safety of our customers' mail is of paramount importance and such incidents are extremely rare and we are taking it very seriously."

Mr Booth added that all the recovered mail was delivered on Friday.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Sack of recorded mail found dumped in street - Bristol

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I am guessing they are Specials not recorded because the bag in the picture on the web page for this article is green.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Sack of recorded mail found dumped in street - Bristol

Post by TeeferTiger »

We used to use blue for SDs...
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Sack of recorded mail found dumped in street - Bristol

Post by Stormproof »

Looks like one of the collection guys has just cleared down for a PO. Probably tried carrying out too much stuff in one go and put the bag on the top of the van while he opened the doors to load the rest. I've seen people drive off with all sorts on top of their cars......handbags/wallets/mobile phones. The amount of time the collection guys are given between boxes/PO's mistakes are going to happen.
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Sack of recorded mail found dumped in street - Bristol

Post by andy2007 »

I hope you're wrong. Because if it was the Postie's fault, rather than a faulty door, RM will almost certainly "make an example" of him/her. It makes good Press, but is hardly fair. As we're all only Human, and mistakes, although rare, will inevitably happen. Particularly when there's so much pressure to do the almost impossible.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!