ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by fishtank »

eastie wrote:Due to the geography a lot of our P/L rounds only have houses on one side of the road so you finish your bag/loop whatever you want to call it 800 yards away from where you started, further along the road . Thats why I only get in the van at the start and at the end.
I can't imagine the geography at your place is much different to ours or in fact most places.
To me it just smacks of lazy planning,not that i'm blaming you for that.
Lazy planning seems to be the only kind of planning Royal Mail do,most of our loops had to be reworked by us once Pegasus and our planner had chewed them up...he was a twat. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by eastie »

Problem is that on these estates you cant get the vehicle access if you tried to do a loop with blocked off cul-de-sacs. Yes you could get to them by walking through alleys when you had a HCT the old way but with
P/L you end up driving on a 1 mile loop to get the other side to deliver large packets.
The old system worked perfectly with a separate delivery driver but with a shared van it doesn't work.
Another thing that doesnt work now is that we had a round for a Birds estate with all the roads named after birds and another round for Poets estate named after Poets etc. It was piss easy throwing off on IPS but now the plonker of a planner decided to mix them all up causing major confusion
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by dvbuk55 »

Do you know something eastie some of our park and loops aren't even in the same post code or village and yet they manage to park and loop without any difficulty and how big a parcel needs to be driven a mile round trip? I think the headline says it all really - you're not a fan, so it won't be made to work.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by eastie »

O
Last edited by eastie on 10 Dec 2012, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by eastie »

Its not down to me to make it work, I thought that what the planners were paid for.
It worked for me before P/L it wasn't me that fooked it up.
when I start my so called loop now the drivers loop starts at a totally different place from where I start so even if I beat the driver I cant help him anyway as I'm nowhere near the van and we only have 1 key anyway.
Give me a HCT anytime and definately a lot quicker
HeilMoya
Posts: 48
Joined: 26 May 2010, 16:23
Gender: Male

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by HeilMoya »

What's happening with all the soon-to-be-redundant grey bag boxes that RM won't maintain? Will they be spending on getting them removed and disposed?
Why they couldn't have just added more dropboxes on walks in between the others to take the weight off and manage packets I'll never know...
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by dvbuk55 »

eastie wrote:Its not down to me to make it work, I thought that what the planners were paid for.
It worked for me before P/L it wasn't me that fooked it up.
when I start my so called loop now the drivers loop starts at a totally different place from where I start so even if I beat the driver I cant help him anyway as I'm nowhere near the van and we only have 1 key anyway.
Give me a HCT anytime and definately a lot quicker
Why only one key? All our P&L vehicles have two keys, even a non driver has a key to let himself in the van to replenish, rest and wait if necessary.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

joyman wrote:What's happening with all the soon-to-be-redundant grey bag boxes that RM won't maintain? Will they be spending on getting them removed and disposed?
Why they couldn't have just added more dropboxes on walks in between the others to take the weight off and manage packets I'll never know...
Most need planning permission. Most Councils weren't giving that permission apparently.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by bigcol »

eastie wrote:Iwhen I start my so called loop now the drivers loop starts at a totally different place from where I start so even if I beat the driver I cant help him anyway as I'm nowhere near the van
Same on my P&L. Strangely, it works fine. :hmmmm

If you beat the driver have a rest. :cuppa
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

bigcol wrote:
eastie wrote:Iwhen I start my so called loop now the drivers loop starts at a totally different place from where I start so even if I beat the driver I cant help him anyway as I'm nowhere near the van
Same on my P&L. Strangely, it works fine. :hmmmm

If you beat the driver have a rest. :cuppa
Before or after using the cricket bat.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3371
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by Mr Rush »

joyman wrote:What's happening with all the soon-to-be-redundant grey bag boxes that RM won't maintain? Will they be spending on getting them removed and disposed?
Why they couldn't have just added more dropboxes on walks in between the others to take the weight off and manage packets I'll never know...
A few months ago the planners were back to fix their mistakes and asked me to highlight the pouch boxes on the delivery. I questioned why that mattered since 1) we're working from a van now and 2) it was my understanding they'd be uprooted soon. According to them, the boxes aren't going anywhere because it's been quietly noted that drivers and walkers working separately (from van and pouch box, respectively) complete their delivery more often. :no no
The machine stops.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by Brandy »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Brandy wrote:
houseoflords wrote:I bet Mark Higson couldn't put up with Moya's Farts for a start.
You cant say that!!!! :shock: :oops: :chuckle
Well he did, in any case her head would be below the dashboard probably :cool
Oh dear it gets worse!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
jontickle
Posts: 31
Joined: 17 Dec 2009, 18:24
Gender: Male

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by jontickle »

dvbuk55 wrote:Why only one key? All our P&L vehicles have two keys, even a non driver has a key to let himself in the van to replenish, rest and wait if necessary.
We only have the single key for our van as one went missing when it went for repair. Management are too tight to fork out for a new key, despite the fact we estimate it probably costs us about 20 minutes a day as i have to stand outside the van waiting to be let back in. That obviously makes good business sense to RM management so i bow to their superior intellect. They know best, right? :wink:
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by eastie »

dvbuk55 wrote:Why only one key? All our P&L vehicles have two keys, even a non driver has a key to let himself in the van to replenish, rest and wait if necessary.




Because as I said before, my "loops"if you can call them that ,dont finish anywhere near the van so whats the point of a key!!
We dont all have Moya's fantasy loops that start and finish at the van
We prank the driver by mobile and wait for the next bag
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Not a fan - of 2 in a van!

Post by dvbuk55 »

eastie wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Why only one key? All our P&L vehicles have two keys, even a non driver has a key to let himself in the van to replenish, rest and wait if necessary.




Because as I said before, my "loops"if you can call them that ,dont finish anywhere near the van so whats the point of a key!!
We dont all have Moya's fantasy loops that start and finish at the van
We prank the driver by mobile and wait for the next bag
Maybe the loops should be smaller so that you DO work in tandem. The system you operate obviously relies on the use of your own mobile phone and that shouldn't be the case.