ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

dog bite,lost finger

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jynxx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 198
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: dog bite,lost finger

Post by Jynxx »

bigcol wrote:Get a catalogue, open flap and rest leading edge on the lip. When the dog jumps up smack it with the palm of your hand as hard as possible.

Listen for whimpering. :Applause
......did that when I was a kid with a paper round, :oops: My brother was helping me n got bit, little bit angry with the dog rolled up the newspaper waited for the bite then smacked the paper, heard dunk then the whimpering.....it never did it again mind you.
sequinn
Posts: 71
Joined: 14 Jan 2009, 21:58
Gender: Female

Re: dog bite,lost finger

Post by sequinn »

I was under the impression that mail had to be pushed completely through the letterbox which means that your fingers have to pass through. I have 2 letter boxes that are virtually impossible to push mail through, especially if only one letter or D2D. Apparently they are 'letter bomb' proof and virtually anything else proof as well!!! Luckily they are not dog owners.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: dog bite,lost finger

Post by daveyeff »

hans solo wrote:
noggin1969 wrote:Unfortunately if she placed her fingers through the letterbox there is no claim against the dog owners , there may be a slim chance because there was no mention of it in the walk log and she had not been given a post peg against RM but i'm sure they'll say the same she was at fault. Not much chance of a "sorry" from management as this could be taken as an admittance of guilt.
absolute rubbish labour counciller in west scot charged and sued persons when he lost part of finger while posting own leaflet through letterbox. sue sue sue if they have pet care make claim against that . do not give up on the putting finger or hand through crap it wasn,t the letterbox that bit you . you can also make claim with dhss as well and fill in accident forms with them as well
well by all accounts if the dog is behind its own locked front door then you dont have a hope in hell of a successful claim. plus the owners can say you,re trespassing if you,re bellringers go through the letterbox. this was from the area rep by the way, and as i said in a previous post they are now looking to sack people guilty of this offence as its blatant disreguard for h&s. thats what they told us anyways.
stokes11eg
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3077
Joined: 20 Nov 2008, 12:51
Gender: Female

Re: dog bite,lost finger

Post by stokes11eg »

Do not forget to report this to The DWP ,and have it classified as an industrial injury. She may be able to claim an industrial injury benefit.
Harry_Perkins
Posts: 206
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 15:42
Gender: Male

Re: dog bite,lost finger

Post by Harry_Perkins »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Glad don't have these 2 on my delivery

Image
haha, I had one like this on a walk I was covering a few weeks back. Nearly gave me a heart attack when I posted the mail through and then he appeared. I was sure he was coming through the damn catflap! :chuckle
You must understand that I am here purely as A BEARER OF MESSAGES.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: dog bite,lost finger

Post by dvbuk55 »

This really amused me because I have a border collie and I am now thinking of getting a cat flap :chuckle