ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

fishtank wrote:
I was also told that you have to prep your d2ds in your own time as you are paid separately for them.
Only if you've started work at the D.O. that time forgot.
D2D's are part of normal workload now and you don't get paid for them at all.
Without giving my location away, I am in a major/very large d.o not a backwater one that time forgot! He was jut trying it on with me. I won't go in earlier (unless I agree it and want overtime) to prep d2ds. If it means I'm out later then so be it.

The other hilarious thing I was told is that noone cuts off on their d.o. :left:
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by BingBong »

divadee wrote:Well i have survived!! But then didn't go out on delivery lol.

Have a couple of questions to ask though.

The job I applied for was 23.5 hours a week over 5 days starting at 10am. I have the job advert as a screen shot as proof.

Manager at do said I may have to do 3 full time days and then 3 off as they don't want me starting at 10am.

This may be very awkward for me with my daughter as my hubby starts at 6am some mornings so I have to get her to school if he is working. Part of me likes the thought of getting all work over and done with in 3 days but it would be a pain sometimes.

Can i refuse a change in hours like this?

I was also told that you have to prep your d2ds in your own time as you are paid separately for them. Thanks to the info I had learnt from people on here I was able to say 'what hold on a minute?' And manger quickly moved on to something else lol.
depends what your contract says. bet it will say hours to designated by a manager. i tried the job advert thing. its whats written in your contract that counts. sadly.
Toon Army!
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by BingBong »

as for d2ds that is utter rubbish. time to prep them is worked into your hours. we get a delivery supplement payment for them but thats it. dont prep them in your free time. also join the union and tell your rep about this incident.
Toon Army!
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by fng »

:nervous You must work at the same depot as me...... a manager that tries it on with newbies, tries to change hours, tries to get d2d's done in unpaid time and lives in a reality where nobody cuts off....... there cannot be two managers the same, can there ? If he expects you to come in early unpaid and to work through your breaks, then you are definatly in the same depot as me. :cuppa
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

fng wrote::nervous You must work at the same depot as me...... a manager that tries it on with newbies, tries to change hours, tries to get d2d's done in unpaid time and lives in a reality where nobody cuts off....... there cannot be two managers the same, can there ? If he expects you to come in early unpaid and to work through your breaks, then you are definatly in the same depot as me. :cuppa
I thought they were all like it countrywide lol.

I just wish I had taken a picture when I asked about cutting off :angel
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

BrokenFlowers wrote: also join the union and tell your rep about this incident.
Already done. Application form handed to rep personally this morning!
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

BrokenFlowers wrote:
divadee wrote:Well i have survived!! But then didn't go out on delivery lol.

Have a couple of questions to ask though.

The job I applied for was 23.5 hours a week over 5 days starting at 10am. I have the job advert as a screen shot as proof.

Manager at do said I may have to do 3 full time days and then 3 off as they don't want me starting at 10am.

This may be very awkward for me with my daughter as my hubby starts at 6am some mornings so I have to get her to school if he is working. Part of me likes the thought of getting all work over and done with in 3 days but it would be a pain sometimes.

Can i refuse a change in hours like this?

I was also told that you have to prep your d2ds in your own time as you are paid separately for them. Thanks to the info I had learnt from people on here I was able to say 'what hold on a minute?' And manger quickly moved on to something else lol.
depends what your contract says. bet it will say hours to designated by a manager. i tried the job advert thing. its whats written in your contract that counts. sadly.
Your right. It does say that in my contract. What a joke the job adverts are! I applied to work the hours round the school day and then they just change it anyway.

Should I really make my manager hate me and ask for family friendly on my second day pmsl
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by BingBong »

divadee wrote:
BrokenFlowers wrote:
divadee wrote:Well i have survived!! But then didn't go out on delivery lol.

Have a couple of questions to ask though.

The job I applied for was 23.5 hours a week over 5 days starting at 10am. I have the job advert as a screen shot as proof.

Manager at do said I may have to do 3 full time days and then 3 off as they don't want me starting at 10am.

This may be very awkward for me with my daughter as my hubby starts at 6am some mornings so I have to get her to school if he is working. Part of me likes the thought of getting all work over and done with in 3 days but it would be a pain sometimes.

Can i refuse a change in hours like this?

I was also told that you have to prep your d2ds in your own time as you are paid separately for them. Thanks to the info I had learnt from people on here I was able to say 'what hold on a minute?' And manger quickly moved on to something else lol.
depends what your contract says. bet it will say hours to designated by a manager. i tried the job advert thing. its whats written in your contract that counts. sadly.
Your right. It does say that in my contract. What a joke the job adverts are! I applied to work the hours round the school day and then they just change it anyway.

Should I really make my manager hate me and ask for family friendly on my second day pmsl
its a pain. i know. your not starting at the best time. the managers will be turning the screw. get through xmas and youll be ok. i never wanted to do collections in the eve but that damn contract said they could move my hours. i now do the odd one or 2 as overtime. money isnt too bad but can be a bitch after a heavy day. is yours a driving contract?
Toon Army!
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

BrokenFlowers wrote:
divadee wrote:
BrokenFlowers wrote:
divadee wrote:Well i have survived!! But then didn't go out on delivery lol.

Have a couple of questions to ask though.

The job I applied for was 23.5 hours a week over 5 days starting at 10am. I have the job advert as a screen shot as proof.

Manager at do said I may have to do 3 full time days and then 3 off as they don't want me starting at 10am.

This may be very awkward for me with my daughter as my hubby starts at 6am some mornings so I have to get her to school if he is working. Part of me likes the thought of getting all work over and done with in 3 days but it would be a pain sometimes.

Can i refuse a change in hours like this?

I was also told that you have to prep your d2ds in your own time as you are paid separately for them. Thanks to the info I had learnt from people on here I was able to say 'what hold on a minute?' And manger quickly moved on to something else lol.
depends what your contract says. bet it will say hours to designated by a manager. i tried the job advert thing. its whats written in your contract that counts. sadly.
Your right. It does say that in my contract. What a joke the job adverts are! I applied to work the hours round the school day and then they just change it anyway.

Should I really make my manager hate me and ask for family friendly on my second day pmsl
its a pain. i know. your not starting at the best time. the managers will be turning the screw. get through xmas and youll be ok. i never wanted to do collections in the eve but that damn contract said they could move my hours. i now do the odd one or 2 as overtime. money isnt too bad but can be a bitch after a heavy day. is yours a driving contract?
Yep driving contract. I have stipulated to managers again today as I did in my interview there is one day a week I cannot go over on at all. It's a prior commitment that must continue on.

I think in in a minority that I don't actually want a full time job. I want 20 ish hours a week that's all. It's for extra money for my family so we can have a meal out or Xmas pressies etc... My money just means we have a life and not scrimp and save every month without it. All the bills are paid by hubby's wage with nothing left over mind you lol.

I don't know but maybe once the managers see that's the reason I took the job I won't get pressure of you will never make full time etc... As I honestly don't want it!

I'm an odd old hippy at heart.
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by BingBong »

divadee wrote:
BrokenFlowers wrote:
divadee wrote:
BrokenFlowers wrote:
divadee wrote:Well i have survived!! But then didn't go out on delivery lol.

Have a couple of questions to ask though.

The job I applied for was 23.5 hours a week over 5 days starting at 10am. I have the job advert as a screen shot as proof.

Manager at do said I may have to do 3 full time days and then 3 off as they don't want me starting at 10am.

This may be very awkward for me with my daughter as my hubby starts at 6am some mornings so I have to get her to school if he is working. Part of me likes the thought of getting all work over and done with in 3 days but it would be a pain sometimes.

Can i refuse a change in hours like this?

I was also told that you have to prep your d2ds in your own time as you are paid separately for them. Thanks to the info I had learnt from people on here I was able to say 'what hold on a minute?' And manger quickly moved on to something else lol.
depends what your contract says. bet it will say hours to designated by a manager. i tried the job advert thing. its whats written in your contract that counts. sadly.
Your right. It does say that in my contract. What a joke the job adverts are! I applied to work the hours round the school day and then they just change it anyway.

Should I really make my manager hate me and ask for family friendly on my second day pmsl
its a pain. i know. your not starting at the best time. the managers will be turning the screw. get through xmas and youll be ok. i never wanted to do collections in the eve but that damn contract said they could move my hours. i now do the odd one or 2 as overtime. money isnt too bad but can be a bitch after a heavy day. is yours a driving contract?
Yep driving contract. I have stipulated to managers again today as I did in my interview there is one day a week I cannot go over on at all. It's a prior commitment that must continue on.

I think in in a minority that I don't actually want a full time job. I want 20 ish hours a week that's all. It's for extra money for my family so we can have a meal out or Xmas pressies etc... My money just means we have a life and not scrimp and save every month without it. All the bills are paid by hubby's wage with nothing left over mind you lol.

I don't know but maybe once the managers see that's the reason I took the job I won't get pressure of you will never make full time etc... As I honestly don't want it!

I'm an odd old hippy at heart.
thats fair enough. u dont have to work your over your contracted hours. what i mean is they can move those 20 hours as they wish. personally im on 25 but do about 35. paid of course. if i refused the collections they would just make it into a duty and then id lose out money wise. we tend to stick together in our office when it comes to collections. do 1 or 2 each then we gain bit of extra cash rather than doin it as a duty everyday and earning the basic.
Toon Army!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by krussel »

Glad you got through the first couple of days :Very Happy

D2D prep LOL :left: Another good thing about this site and what you learn. :Very Happy

Shame about the hours :sad: A couple of guys in our office actually cut from their delivery to take the kids to school and then carry on. If they go over they dont book of course. I am not sure if this is with the dom's blessing but i know she is aware of it. So perhaps there could be some flex around this after xmas is out the way. Ask your rep to find out if anyone else is doing something like this. :hmmmm

To be honest the 3 days on and 3 off is the best option, well i think.

Hope the rest of the week goes well. This time next week you wont feel such a fish out of water.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
mr ford
Posts: 129
Joined: 25 Oct 2012, 14:29
Gender: Male
Location: grimsby

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by mr ford »

divadee wrote:
fng wrote::nervous You must work at the same depot as me...... a manager that tries it on with newbies, tries to change hours, tries to get d2d's done in unpaid time and lives in a reality where nobody cuts off....... there cannot be two managers the same, can there ? If he expects you to come in early unpaid and to work through your breaks, then you are definatly in the same depot as me. :cuppa
I thought they were all like it countrywide lol.

I just wish I had taken a picture when I asked about cutting off :angel
you cant take a picture on royal mail property be warned you could be sacked if they find out
mouse
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

Out on delivery today. Just shadowing but my feet are killing me!

I can understand why newbies leave in droves, the managers looked at me like I was a bit of crap on their shoe today. I haft even spoken to them at the point! I'm terrified about next week as I assume on Monday I will fed to the wolves and put on some sort of walk alone. This really is scary for new starters. Your scared of getting anything wrong and Mis-deliver some mail or forget a recorded etc....

I don't know what hours I am doing next week, this week I will go over my hours, by about 6 hours and that's only in training!

I got home today, had a little cry, soaked my feet, shouted at myself for being a stupid softie and announced I won't be beaten.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by fishtank »

divadee wrote:I got home today, had a little cry, soaked my feet, shouted at myself for being a stupid softie and announced I won't be beaten.

So did i and i've been here 20 years. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by DGP1 »

fishtank wrote:
divadee wrote:I got home today, had a little cry, soaked my feet, shouted at myself for being a stupid softie and announced I won't be beaten.

So did i and i've been here 20 years. :neutral:
Yes FT but if you come over to the naughty room I'll give you a hug :wink:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio