ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Clocking in and out???

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
S6 Stroller
Posts: 199
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by S6 Stroller »

clashcityrocker wrote:So you do 15 minutes free work every day?
28 people like you = 1 full time job.
You know the people I am talking about? It's people like you.
One of us is obtuse. And it isn't me.
No, I don't do any free work. Which bit of 'I don't leave any earlier... I don't finish any earlier...' don't you understand? I do exactly the same indoor workload as I would do if I came in 15 mins later i.e on time. My workload is simply spread over a longer period. NOT because it's too heavy. NOT so I can get out earlier. NOT so I can finish earlier. So I have time to enjoy banter, go for a cig etc etc. Royal Mail gains absolutely nothing out of it. I choose to go in early. My choice. I don't finish any earlier than anybody else who does the duty, nobody gets any stress from colleagues or gets bullied by management. We have had the revision in place for ages. One person can't make both of you finish early. That's simple enough to understand...isn't it?

You're either being deliberately obtuse or have a massive problem with other people being happy at Royal Mail. Bizarre. There are a lot of things that f*ck me off about Royal Mail but generally the actual job isn't one of them. By the way, I'm one of the most militant people you could meet, so don't even go down that route...
S6 Stroller
Posts: 199
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by S6 Stroller »

suz67 wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:So you do 15 minutes free work every day?
28 people like you = 1 full time job.
You know the people I am talking about? It's people like you.
One of us is obtuse. And it isn't me.
oh so very very true :Applause :thumbup
Actually read what I put.
S6 Stroller
Posts: 199
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by S6 Stroller »

chrisj wrote:I am sorry to say that it is not about enjoying your job more. It is actually about competency! In effect, you are not competent to do the job in the allocated time...

The problem is that managers do not always compare like with like. If someone covers your duty and then struggles, the manager will simply say that 'you' can do the job and finishes in time so why cant the other. But you are spending more time doing the job...

I have had such an issue for the last 3 weeks. I am covering for a full-time staff that comes in really early. And I want to come in on my time and I just cannot get the job done on most days because it is a slightly larger round and this full-time staff does not even do IPS but preps just a little bit for his partner who also comes in really early.

I now get rushed by his partner and managers just for wanting to do my time. The manager has conveniently forgotten that as a Reserve, I do most round in the office and I only have issues with just about 3 of them because of the set-up FT/larger round.

Do your time!
Read what I actually put and think about it before you post. FFS.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16731
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by clashcityrocker »

S6 Stroller wrote: By the way, I'm one of the most militant people you could meet, so don't even go down that route...
If you are what passes for militant in your office, no wonder we are f****d.
I did read what you wrote. You start 15 minutes early. End of.

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... ly#p169284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by Lincox »

If you come in 15 minutes early and do absolutely nothing workwise then I can understand your point. If you are working during those fifteen minutes whether it,s prepping D2ds or whatever you are giving 15 minutes of your time free to Royal Mail. Add that on to your contracted hours will they pay you another fifteen minutes? Answer no, unless you claim it as overtime, then the questions will begin, particularly on low traffic days. So the answer is if you are working during those 15 minutes you are giving time away. As you say it is allowing you to work in a more relaxed manner, without pressure. This should be the right of all under our normal contracted hours, and if you are as militant as you say, then perhaps those fifteen minutes could be better spent trying to better conditions for all.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by chrisj »

So he is trying to say he comes in 15 minutes before time - hell yea? More like 45 minutes - just like some of the so-called militant full-timers at my place.

On very quiet days (not a lot to do on IPS), these guys are ready almost an hour before part-timers that come in on their time. And they rush you.They don't take it easy like 'our stroller' here.

Having said the above, 15 minutes (if true) is no big deal (travel/parking etc...) But that time should be spent in the rest room, canteen, smoke area or other places where you can socialise and enjoy the job; not work at a leisurely pace.
Last edited by chrisj on 21 Nov 2012, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by chrisj »

:d'oh!
Last edited by chrisj on 21 Nov 2012, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16731
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by clashcityrocker »

chrisj wrote:'say' not day :oops:
You could always use the "edit" function.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by chrisj »

Oh yea! I did not notice that. Hey ho! Thanks
S6 Stroller
Posts: 199
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by S6 Stroller »

clashcityrocker wrote:
S6 Stroller wrote: By the way, I'm one of the most militant people you could meet, so don't even go down that route...
If you are what passes for militant in your office, no wonder we are f****d.
I did read what you wrote. You start 15 minutes early. End of.

http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... ly#p169284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As I suspected, you are being deliberately obtuse. I'm not sure you actually know what that means though. Are you a CWU rep?
S6 Stroller
Posts: 199
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by S6 Stroller »

chrisj wrote:So he is trying to say he comes in 15 minutes before time - hell yea? More like 45 minutes - just like some of the so-called militant full-timers at my place.

On very quiet days (not a lot to do on IPS), these guys are ready almost an hour before part-timers that come in on their time. And they rush you.They don't take it easy like 'our stroller' here.

Having said the above, 15 minutes (if true) is no big deal (travel/parking etc...) But that time should be spent in the rest room, canteen, smoke area or other places where you can socialise and enjoy the job; not work at a leisurely pace.
What the f**k are you talking about?

Oh and by the way, I am part-time.
S6 Stroller
Posts: 199
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 23:00
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by S6 Stroller »

Lincox wrote:If you come in 15 minutes early and do absolutely nothing workwise then I can understand your point. If you are working during those fifteen minutes whether it,s prepping D2ds or whatever you are giving 15 minutes of your time free to Royal Mail. Add that on to your contracted hours will they pay you another fifteen minutes? Answer no, unless you claim it as overtime, then the questions will begin, particularly on low traffic days. So the answer is if you are working during those 15 minutes you are giving time away. As you say it is allowing you to work in a more relaxed manner, without pressure. This should be the right of all under our normal contracted hours, and if you are as militant as you say, then perhaps those fifteen minutes could be better spent trying to better conditions for all.
I don't even know where to begin with this...
banner18
Posts: 636
Joined: 05 Sep 2008, 19:10
Gender: Male

Re: Clocking in and out???

Post by banner18 »

S6 Stroller wrote:
chrisj wrote:Well someone clocking for someone else will automatically be gross misconduct and a fraudulent act.

I am for clocking in and out = totally. It can even be done through the PDA - everyone will have a dedicated PDA with the ability to clock in and out. And it must be docked at the end of the shift.

People coming in early are the scourge of the job!
I would be totally in favour of clocking in and out machines. End of. As for people clocking out for colleagues, let them. They'll get caught out pretty quickly and be fired. Tough.

The reason I highlighted the last bit is that people saying this gets on my f*cking nerves. A lot of people come in early so they can enjoy their indoor work and not be rushing round like bloody idiots. It doesn't mean I leave any earlier. It's my choice. I don't do any more work through coming in early and I don't save RM any money by coming in early. You should change your statement to 'People getting out early are the scourge of the job!'

We have a number of individuals coming in early at our office and guess what we all got for it? An extra half hour IPS dumped onto us, which the few guys that come in on time, including myself, are struggling like crazy to get the job done in our time now, when before we did. So thanks to those idiots but hey ho, they will probably start coming in even earlier than before now, so they can take it easy again. You need to wake up man!