ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mr ford
Posts: 129
Joined: 25 Oct 2012, 14:29
Gender: Male
Location: grimsby

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by mr ford »

SP115 wrote:I dont mind doing 40 hrs on a 24 hr contract so long as im paid for it, If they expect it for free theres gonna be some falling out :no no
they dont expect it for free who said that ????
mouse
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

mr ford wrote:
divadee wrote:Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm hoping if I can get through December then I will be able to cope with the rest of the year (that's the theory anyway lol)

I'm sure I will have wobbles and make mistakes. But I will stand up for myself and I did tell them at the interview I would not go over my time and not get paid. And they still gave me the job! They must be desperate lol.
all new starters are expected to do loads of overtime extra half of walks. else they fear they wont get their contract renewed Prepare yourself for extra work say 40 hrs a week :wave
Well unless I can fit 40 hours in between 9.30- 3.30 I'm a bit stuffed! Lol. I don't mind bits of overtime especialy with Xmas coming up but I can only do certain hours which I did tell them at interview.
mr ford
Posts: 129
Joined: 25 Oct 2012, 14:29
Gender: Male
Location: grimsby

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by mr ford »

divadee wrote:
mr ford wrote:
divadee wrote:Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I'm hoping if I can get through December then I will be able to cope with the rest of the year (that's the theory anyway lol)

I'm sure I will have wobbles and make mistakes. But I will stand up for myself and I did tell them at the interview I would not go over my time and not get paid. And they still gave me the job! They must be desperate lol.
all new starters are expected to do loads of overtime extra half of walks. else they fear they wont get their contract renewed Prepare yourself for extra work say 40 hrs a week :wave
Well unless I can fit 40 hours in between 9.30- 3.30 I'm a bit stuffed! Lol. I don't mind bits of overtime especialy with Xmas coming up but I can only do certain hours which I did tell them at interview.
the dim would not have had any contact with the people who did the interview and know nothing because they are like manuel from faulty towers
mouse
SP115
Posts: 178
Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 17:52
Gender: Male
Location: Location: Location

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by SP115 »

mr ford wrote:
SP115 wrote:I dont mind doing 40 hrs on a 24 hr contract so long as im paid for it, If they expect it for free theres gonna be some falling out :no no
they dont expect it for free who said that ????
Just the general conscious I got when reading the Advice for new posties thread, Lots of people saying make sure your paid for your overtime, Make sure you sign for it, Dont work for free, etc etc.
mr ford
Posts: 129
Joined: 25 Oct 2012, 14:29
Gender: Male
Location: grimsby

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by mr ford »

divadee wrote:I have read the newbies thread and read all the tips I can on other threads as well and to be honest I am absolutely terrified.

I start on Monday (induction) and on Tuesday in mail centre for delivery. I am doing 4 month contract with 23.5 hours a week with rotating day off. I think I'm scared that I'm starting at the worst time of the year. I'm terrified about the managers bullying me to do more hours when I don't want to. I have my family to look after and get to school and pick up.

I'm scared that I won't have much training and be put on the crappest round and struggle to complete.

I want the job but having major wobbles. I have already said. I won't get in till 9.55 (start 10am) as if I started going down the route of early starts they will expect it all the time.
you will have it easy this time of year as everybody will be in and you will be helping out god help you in january catalogue season
mouse
freelunch
Posts: 358
Joined: 14 Oct 2012, 20:39
Gender: Male

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by freelunch »

if i was starting at this of year i would look into putting kids in after-school club to allow you to be a little more flexible with time if needed. they will likely enjoy it and you'll maybe get time to relax briefly before picking them up.
i would also ask DOM/ line manager for his/her mobile number (you will ask for this for "help and advice") just in case you will be struggling to complete your duty. you have to let them know if you will fail to complete. it will be hard going at first and the round will take longer than you expect but do the best you can. take your breaks and don't feel too rushed and don't be afraid to ask for help.
"Everybody has a plan.. until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

freelunch wrote:if i was starting at this of year i would look into putting kids in after-school club to allow you to be a little more flexible with time if needed. they will likely enjoy it and you'll maybe get time to relax briefly before picking them up.
i would also ask DOM/ line manager for his/her mobile number (you will ask for this for "help and advice") just in case you will be struggling to complete your duty. you have to let them know if you will fail to complete. it will be hard going at first and the round will take longer than you expect but do the best you can. take your breaks and don't feel too rushed and don't be afraid to ask for help.
Thanks. I have already enquiried about after school club but unfortunately all full up. I am on the waiting list for my daughter though.

I'm concerned about cutting off as it is obviously going to take me a long time to learn how much to leave behind etc... So will end up taking it all out and bringing it back which I understand is a big no no.

Oh well. Had a nice meal out this evening. And will have an early night ready for my induction tomorrow.
superports
Posts: 171
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
Gender: Male

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by superports »

Good luck, remember we've all been there! If you don't know something, just ask. Don't let the managers pressurise you into doing work you don't want to do.
steven100
Posts: 1391
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 12:35
Gender: Male

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by steven100 »

SP115 wrote:I dont mind doing 40 hrs on a 24 hr contract so long as im paid for it, If they expect it for free theres gonna be some falling out :no no
Paid for overtime :left: :left:
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

Well it's here! I'm up and had a good breakfast. Wish me luck everyone. See you on the other side!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by krussel »

divadee wrote:Well it's here! I'm up and had a good breakfast. Wish me luck everyone. See you on the other side!
Hope it went well and your back home by the time this post goes up :wink:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
chooch
Posts: 323
Joined: 21 Jul 2010, 13:14
Gender: Male

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by chooch »

"Welcome, you join us at a very interesting time for the business"

just like the Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times"..
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by fb1969 »

divadee wrote:See you on the other side!
Hope you didn't mean "the other side of Christmas" :Very Happy
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by fng »

"I want the job but having major wobbles. I have already said. I won't get in till 9.55 (start 10am) as if I started going down the route of early starts they will expect it all the time."

Why are you giving them 5 minutes free !!!!!!!! :cuppa

P.s. You'll be fine.
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Absolutely terrified. Starting on Monday

Post by DB1100 »

Stormproof wrote:
DB1100 wrote: you shouldn't be taking packets now and for the next few weeks.
:crazy: why do you say that? of course she will be taking packets. Are you confusing packets with parcels?
Divadee, all I have to say is that what you see in the next month will probably be the worst of the delivery side of the job. Once you get through that you'll be ok.
No,they are all classed as packets there are no parcels,we have driving duties to cover the packets now anything that won't go though a letterbox gets left and we take all the mail,if we take packets we leave mail,simple.
For we were soldiers once,and young