ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Drunken man abusive to Post Office staff

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Drunken man abusive to Post Office staff

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/crim ... -1-5176291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A DRUNKEN man shouted and swore at staff who tried to get him to leave a South Tyneside Post Office.

John Strother was asked to leave the Post Office in Keppel Street, South Shields, after being abusive to staff and customers.

But the 51-year-old’s behaviour continued before he eventually left.

Workers called police and after viewing CCTV Strother, of Everest Grove, West Boldon, was arrested.

He originally pleaded not guilty to a charge of using threatening and abusive language to another but changed his plea to guilty on the day of trial.

Jeanette Smith, prosecuting, said: “He went in the Post Office at about 12.15pm. He was drunk and abusive to staff and customers.

“There was a lot of shouting and swearing and when he was told to leave, it became worse.”

A statement from a Post Office worker was read out in court. It said: “I shouldn’t have to put up with abuse like that for just doing my job.

“I was going to go into South Shields after work that day but I couldn’t because I was scared in case I saw him again.”

David Forrester, defending, said: “When he says he wasn’t drunk in the Post Office he means by his standards, to most other people he would have appeared drunk.

“This is a man who was under great stress at the time and wasn’t dealing with it in the right way.

“He was in the grips of a long-standing drink problem but he has not drank since then.

“His son is in hospital as a result of alcohol problems and has recently moved in with his dad to be his carer.”

Mr Forrester added: “He said some outrageous things to the staff, who should not be subjected to that kind of abuse.”

Magistrates decided to defer sentencing Strother and adjourned the case until February 22.

Chairman of the bench Bill Marriott said: “It would seem you’ve taken responsibility of your own life and your father and son’s.

“It is to your credit that you have abstained from alcohol, and we’re going to give you a chance to prove yourself.”

The sentence was deferred on the conditions that Strother does not commit any further offences, works with the probation service and keeps out of Keppel Street Post Office.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Thunderthighs
Posts: 990
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Drunken man abusive to Post Office staff

Post by Thunderthighs »

Covering the front desk recently, an old lady grabbed "her" letter she had to pay excess on, and ran away, jumped into a car which her husband drove away!
Luckily I still had the red N/A card, and their address. Chasing her through the line of customers and trying to retrieve the item was like a Benny Hill sketch.
As I was about to ring the bobbies, the husband turned up to apologise/pay.
Very weird!
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Drunken man abusive to Post Office staff

Post by TeeferTiger »

I had a guy turn up to collect a packet with no ID, he went and got ID after giving me some abuse and then as I turned to get the packet he called me another name so I thought "right, I'm not having this!" So I refused to serve him and ended up calling the Police because he kicked off again. He'd actually ordered air rifle pellets so the Police came back later that evening when I was locking up to make sure I was OK. The guy ended up being fined nearly £200 and was banned from coming to the DO.
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
Thunderthighs
Posts: 990
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Drunken man abusive to Post Office staff

Post by Thunderthighs »

Good un Mr Tiger. Too much crap being taken, undeserved too.
TeeferTiger
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2783
Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
Gender: Female
Location: Welsh Wales

Re: Drunken man abusive to Post Office staff

Post by TeeferTiger »

Thunderthighs wrote:Good un Mr Tiger. Too much crap being taken, undeserved too.
I think he also forgot I know where he lives lol

P.S. It's Missus ;-)
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
Thunderthighs
Posts: 990
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Re: Drunken man abusive to Post Office staff

Post by Thunderthighs »

oh, Missus Tiger then, Good Un!! HA AH!
R@YAL F@IL
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 19:31
Gender: Male

Re: Drunken man abusive to Post Office staff

Post by R@YAL F@IL »

Title of this thread describes what we put up with every working day ........... from our D.O.M :cuppa
NO bags on shoulders please except for Moya who keeps her big fat wage packet in hers