ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Suicide

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Suicide

Post by NewPostieUK »

alloria wrote:Just a general question. Has anybody on here ever thought about suicide? Whether work related or not?
Who hasn't?

I would have thought that it crossed most people's minds at some point.

Personally, I have given it a great deal of thought. I have gone as far as getting my paperwork in order - Endowment Policies, Insurance, Mortgage, etc etc. All together in one place, and making notes as to what everything is far, with phone numbers and addresses.

I researched methods, found a great one, and it's the method I will use if I decide to go through with it. I almost certainly won't.

Work related? Work comes into it, not Royal Mail, but just work in general, and many, many other factors.

EDIT: This was quite a few years ago, not recently, so please don't get the wrong idea! I don't want PM's or the Samaritans phone number.
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: Suicide

Post by maisymoo04 »

o well this topic has well cheered me up :shock: :shock:
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"
dan1986ccfc
Posts: 63
Joined: 07 Dec 2009, 16:58
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by dan1986ccfc »

Can't believe how many people have replied saying they've considered it! Life is a gift, make the most of it
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Suicide

Post by BingBong »

DB1100 wrote:
BrokenFlowers wrote:
alloria wrote:Just a general question. Has anybody on here ever thought about suicide? Whether work related or not?
There is a guy in a our place who is very unwell. Looks like he has had some sort of breakdown. The guy needs professional help. Today he was seen loading parcels into his car quite openly, as if it was normal. Don't even think he was aware he was doing it. He has completly lost it. Doesn't speak, looks completly distant from life. I cant believe he is still allowed to work. He seems a danger to himself and others. Im quite scared being around him.
How about talking to him? instead of just watching him self destruct spare him a bit of time,there for the grace of god it could be any one of us,
Everyone, including me has tried to talk to him. He needs actual help now.
Toon Army!
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Suicide

Post by BingBong »

Lazycarton wrote:I suffer with depression (not RM related by the way) which has been in remission for the last 11 months. However, it is likely to rear it's ugly head at some time in the future as it is of long standing. Depressives will isolate themselves from everyone around them and it is very hard to get to them, I know. I really feel for the chap mentioned above. Sadly the RM management will ignore it until he self-destructs - very sad.
Ive tried talking to the guy. Its like hitting a dead end. I've spoke to management. I dont think they care. Only worried about keeping the walk covered. Don't know what it would take for them to take notice. The guys death probably.
Toon Army!
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: Suicide

Post by DirtyHarry »

It's when you read through a thread like this one, that you realises just what a thoroughly nasty company it is we slave for.
The barely-disguised contempt shown for us, that very nearly manifests itself as pure and utter hatred of us.
The spite, the malice, that now dictates how our working week drags on to it's unacceptable finale on Saturday.
And all by an 'elite' who revel in a 'them and us' situation, which suits them just dandy.
Not for them, toiling in all weathers, mostly inclement.
Not for them, a salary that is a poor reflection on the hard work put in to earn it.
Not for them, a work/life inbalance that increasingly makes it harder for families to spend quality time together.
Not for them, having to decide in October 2012, which two weeks of summer 2013 to take off.
Not for them, anything that we have to put up with, and have put up with, this last appalling decade.

My heartfelt sympathies go to our brothers and sisters under tremendous strain, brought about by the many injustices introduced.
My undying hatred and loathing go to all of those responsible.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Suicide

Post by NWpostie »

I hope this does not come across as abrasive or anything of the like, a friend in the services shot himself, it seems he did this while he was in a dark place, he didn't ask for help, he was the last person we expected to do this, given his rank and experience, when we attended his funeral, there was so many people there that we didn't have enough room, it is a shame that he didn't realise how many lives he has touched and how well he was thought of, the effect on his relatives was devastating.

It made me think, when you peg out, you lose everything, your life, your family, your friends, the effect on the people left behind, any possibility of changing anything round you, no future, nothing at all......
5 minutes on either side of that dark place he would have thought "what a stupid idea" knowing him, had we known his problems we would have helped, we would have gathered round and got help, help IS available,
life is worth living, problems you have is not unassailable there is a way out, you only have one chance to live this life, no second place, live long enough to be a problem to your boss and your pension company,
there always is somebody worse off than you, Ben Parkinson was the most wounded Soldier to ever survive, did he give up ? many Soldiers come back with appaling injuries and damaged minds, yet they crack on
because they cherish every life's opportunity because they met Death and come back alive.

ASK FOR HELP OR OFFER IT thats what helplines, counselling and charities are for.


I fully intend to live long enough to be a problem to my Pension Company and live my life to the full and never let the b@astards get you down, the best revenge is living well and be happy.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by TheCobra »

I have considered it, I have problems with mild to middling depression.

None of these things have been brought about by this job though to be honest. I find in this job, with the getting outside in the fresh air and talking to people, I find that a whole lot better than when I worked in an office which i found utterly soul destroying.

Some people clearly just have a tendency towards these things, I feel I am one of those unfortunately. I would presume a fair few of these types of people end up being postmen, with the certain 'freedom' element of the job, seems to lend itself to those people who might have had enough of other types of jobs.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Suicide

Post by Judgee »

Tried it a long time ago when everything in my life had turned to crap. :confused

I consider it now and then, but always think I just couldn't do that to the people around me. If it was just me on my own, I could just pop a few pills quite easily. I see my future and it looks bleak at best. I have no hopes or dreams left that's for sure.

I have come across two people in my life that have tried it and unfortunately succeeded. One a RM worker and one who wasn't. In both instances there was nothing to indicate what they were intending to do. :sad:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
wheresourmoney
Posts: 170
Joined: 27 Jan 2011, 14:50
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by wheresourmoney »

I walked out on my wife and kids a few years ago and it was the worst pain i have ever suffered,pride stopped me from going back and in retaliation my wife wouldn't let me see my kids. one day i decided i could'nt take anymore , i waited for my flatmates to go out then took a cocktail of tablets and drink,luckley for me one of them came back early and found me,he rang for a ambulance and i spent the night having my stomach pumped.Some good came out of it though because my ex wife relented and allowed me to see the kids, i certainly would not recommend it to anyone reading this, if you ever go through the same situation try talking first and if that fails go to the courts.
robd
Posts: 510
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 12:03
Gender: Male
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Suicide

Post by robd »

NWpostie,
what an inspiring and heartfelt post!
When i saw this thread i thought it could go either way,but it reminds us all,that even in the darkest hour of desperation,help is always at hand.
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by Lazycarton »

DirtyHarry wrote:It's when you read through a thread like this one, that you realises just what a thoroughly nasty company it is we slave for.
The barely-disguised contempt shown for us, that very nearly manifests itself as pure and utter hatred of us.
The spite, the malice, that now dictates how our working week drags on to it's unacceptable finale on Saturday.
And all by an 'elite' who revel in a 'them and us' situation, which suits them just dandy.
Not for them, toiling in all weathers, mostly inclement.
Not for them, a salary that is a poor reflection on the hard work put in to earn it.
Not for them, a work/life inbalance that increasingly makes it harder for families to spend quality time together.
Not for them, having to decide in October 2012, which two weeks of summer 2013 to take off.
Not for them, anything that we have to put up with, and have put up with, this last appalling decade.

My heartfelt sympathies go to our brothers and sisters under tremendous strain, brought about by the many injustices introduced.
My undying hatred and loathing go to all of those responsible.
Very well said mate.
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by Lazycarton »

NWpostie wrote:I hope this does not come across as abrasive or anything of the like, a friend in the services shot himself, it seems he did this while he was in a dark place, he didn't ask for help, he was the last person we expected to do this, given his rank and experience, when we attended his funeral, there was so many people there that we didn't have enough room, it is a shame that he didn't realise how many lives he has touched and how well he was thought of, the effect on his relatives was devastating.

It made me think, when you peg out, you lose everything, your life, your family, your friends, the effect on the people left behind, any possibility of changing anything round you, no future, nothing at all......
5 minutes on either side of that dark place he would have thought "what a stupid idea" knowing him, had we known his problems we would have helped, we would have gathered round and got help, help IS available,
life is worth living, problems you have is not unassailable there is a way out, you only have one chance to live this life, no second place, live long enough to be a problem to your boss and your pension company,
there always is somebody worse off than you, Ben Parkinson was the most wounded Soldier to ever survive, did he give up ? many Soldiers come back with appaling injuries and damaged minds, yet they crack on
because they cherish every life's opportunity because they met Death and come back alive.

ASK FOR HELP OR OFFER IT thats what helplines, counselling and charities are for.



I fully intend to live long enough to be a problem to my Pension Company and live my life to the full and never let the b@astards get you down, the best revenge is living well and be happy.
If you have never had depression you will not know how irrational your thoughts are. There IS no one worse off than you.
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by taurus88 »

My mental health is never far from the frayed edges, so yes, it is very fair to say that I have thought of suicide, and do think of suicide constantly. Some would say it comes with the territory of being creative and introverted - one is by nature in love with the world, yet completely isolated from it. One loves and one hates oneself at the same time, and in those hateful moments, it seems like the most sensible thing in the world to destroy yourself.

I have never been to a doctor about it although I know I should. I don't like to talk about this to people although I know I should. My mental health is very bad - I read about illnesses of the mind all the time and I would say I have symptoms consistent with at least two mental disorders. To be honest, I've been like this since I was fourteen, never too far away from wondering whether tomorrow is worth it. I have never actually confided in anyone but I have always been certain that my life will end at my own hands.

It's quite a touchy subject for me because there's an elderly couple on one of the walks in our office that I was quite close to (haven't seen them since our revision). I got to know them pretty well and uncovered one of the unpleasant pieces of their history - their son committed suicide aged 28 due to various troubles in the world. I got to talking about him with his mother one day and she spoke of him in glowing terms 'quick of thought, miles ahead of his peers intellectually, but ultimately unfulfilled because of the malice of those around him'.

I would have thought nothing of it had she not said that I was a lot like him. It's haunted me a bit, but in truth, sometimes I haunt myself.
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Suicide

Post by TheCobra »

taurus88 wrote:My mental health is never far from the frayed edges, so yes, it is very fair to say that I have thought of suicide, and do think of suicide constantly. Some would say it comes with the territory of being creative and introverted - one is by nature in love with the world, yet completely isolated from it. One loves and one hates oneself at the same time, and in those hateful moments, it seems like the most sensible thing in the world to destroy yourself.

I have never been to a doctor about it although I know I should. I don't like to talk about this to people although I know I should. My mental health is very bad - I read about illnesses of the mind all the time and I would say I have symptoms consistent with at least two mental disorders. To be honest, I've been like this since I was fourteen, never too far away from wondering whether tomorrow is worth it. I have never actually confided in anyone but I have always been certain that my life will end at my own hands.

It's quite a touchy subject for me because there's an elderly couple on one of the walks in our office that I was quite close to (haven't seen them since our revision). I got to know them pretty well and uncovered one of the unpleasant pieces of their history - their son committed suicide aged 28 due to various troubles in the world. I got to talking about him with his mother one day and she spoke of him in glowing terms 'quick of thought, miles ahead of his peers intellectually, but ultimately unfulfilled because of the malice of those around him'.

I would have thought nothing of it had she not said that I was a lot like him. It's haunted me a bit, but in truth, sometimes I haunt myself.
Great post mate, I was nodding along.