ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What happens if i cannot complete?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: What happens if i cannot complete?

Post by Stella102 »

Jenny Manchester wrote:
Stella102 wrote:what happens if the manager says ok, take it all out and cut off at you're time, knowing full well that you will be bringing mail back. Surely this is wrong since ours insists we do this. Any documents on this?
Surely that has to be wilful delay on the managers side as he can't cover the bit your going to bring back because its out of his reach where if you left it in he could get it delivered on overtime.
no one in our office does overtime, our manager frequently goes out on delivery or he gets an army of other managers to come in and deliver
Jenny Manchester
Posts: 138
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 17:12
Gender: Female

Re: What happens if i cannot complete?

Post by Jenny Manchester »

Stella102 wrote:
Jenny Manchester wrote:
Stella102 wrote:what happens if the manager says ok, take it all out and cut off at you're time, knowing full well that you will be bringing mail back. Surely this is wrong since ours insists we do this. Any documents on this?
Surely that has to be wilful delay on the managers side as he can't cover the bit your going to bring back because its out of his reach where if you left it in he could get it delivered on overtime.
no one in our office does overtime, our manager frequently goes out on delivery or he gets an army of other managers to come in and deliver
Well why would he tell them take it out if he does it himself or his army?
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: What happens if i cannot complete?

Post by BingBong »

bobthepostie wrote:Just looking for a bit of advice. I start at my correct time and finish at my correct time. Parcels in my office have been through the roof this week yet we are still told to do lapsing. I told my manager today that i didn't think i would be able to do the lapsing as i was really busy but if i could then i would. I suggested leaving the lapsing till the end of my duty and if i had time i would happily do it. Manager insisted i take the lapsing with me. I then asked what would happen if i couldn't complete. I was told that whatever i took out HAS to be delivered and i would be charged with willfull delay if i returned anything.

Now i have family commitments which mean i cannot work past 3pm which is my finish time with my break being 3pm -3:15 at the end of my shift. What would happen if i thought i would complete, got out on delivery and then found i couldnt complete? Would i be charged with willfull delay for bringing stuff back even though i had notified the manager prior to delivery i couldn't complete?

Im sure i read something on here that states if i couldnt complete while out on delivery that as long as i notified the manager as soon as i realised then that is acceptable, but i cant find it.

Feel as if im being pressurised into working past my time for nothing and being threatened with walk tests if i cannot complete. Any advice appreciated.
Just cut off mate. I use to worry about it but then I saw everyone else cutting off around me and though "what the hell am I doing!" so now if I cant complete (and I know pretty much straight away once Im prepped if I cant complete) I go straight to manager and say. And stand my ground. Once they know you won't budge they accept it. Also helps I tend to say it with witnesses like my Rep in close proximity.
Toon Army!
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: What happens if i cannot complete?

Post by BingBong »

BrokenFlowers wrote:
bobthepostie wrote:Just looking for a bit of advice. I start at my correct time and finish at my correct time. Parcels in my office have been through the roof this week yet we are still told to do lapsing. I told my manager today that i didn't think i would be able to do the lapsing as i was really busy but if i could then i would. I suggested leaving the lapsing till the end of my duty and if i had time i would happily do it. Manager insisted i take the lapsing with me. I then asked what would happen if i couldn't complete. I was told that whatever i took out HAS to be delivered and i would be charged with willfull delay if i returned anything.

Now i have family commitments which mean i cannot work past 3pm which is my finish time with my break being 3pm -3:15 at the end of my shift. What would happen if i thought i would complete, got out on delivery and then found i couldnt complete? Would i be charged with willfull delay for bringing stuff back even though i had notified the manager prior to delivery i couldn't complete?

Im sure i read something on here that states if i couldnt complete while out on delivery that as long as i notified the manager as soon as i realised then that is acceptable, but i cant find it.

Feel as if im being pressurised into working past my time for nothing and being threatened with walk tests if i cannot complete. Any advice appreciated.
Just cut off mate. I use to worry about it but then I saw everyone else cutting off around me and though "what the hell am I doing!" so now if I cant complete (and I know pretty much straight away once Im prepped if I cant complete) I go straight to manager and say. And stand my ground. Once they know you won't budge they accept it. Also helps I tend to say it with witnesses like my Rep in close proximity.
Also if they say about walk tests. Say you are willing to be tested. (you know you are working at the correct speed) gurantee they won't even bother as they'll look stupid when you are working at the 'correct' speed. I was prep tested the other day because I was apparantly not prepping quick enough. I smashed it, totally smashed it and they just looked foolish. You could also asked to be 're-trained' and shown a faster way to work. Again I doubt they'll even bother.
Toon Army!
flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 819
Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
Gender: Male

Re: What happens if i cannot complete?

Post by flaminmoses »

Having a witness is important.
Some managers are unequivocal when any conduct code is brought against you.
Rabray
Posts: 10
Joined: 30 Oct 2009, 09:29
Gender: Male

Re: What happens if i cannot complete?

Post by Rabray »

BrokenFlowers wrote:
bobthepostie wrote:Just looking for a bit of advice. I start at my correct time and finish at my correct time. Parcels in my office have been through the roof this week yet we are still told to do lapsing. I told my manager today that i didn't think i would be able to do the lapsing as i was really busy but if i could then i would. I suggested leaving the lapsing till the end of my duty and if i had time i would happily do it. Manager insisted i take the lapsing with me. I then asked what would happen if i couldn't complete. I was told that whatever i took out HAS to be delivered and i would be charged with willfull delay if i returned anything.

Now i have family commitments which mean i cannot work past 3pm which is my finish time with my break being 3pm -3:15 at the end of my shift. What would happen if i thought i would complete, got out on delivery and then found i couldnt complete? Would i be charged with willfull delay for bringing stuff back even though i had notified the manager prior to delivery i couldn't complete?

Im sure i read something on here that states if i couldnt complete while out on delivery that as long as i notified the manager as soon as i realised then that is acceptable, but i cant find it.

Feel as if im being pressurised into working past my time for nothing and being threatened with walk tests if i cannot complete. Any advice appreciated.
Just cut off mate. I use to worry about it but then I saw everyone else cutting off around me and though "what the hell am I doing!" so now if I cant complete (and I know pretty much straight away once Im prepped if I cant complete) I go straight to manager and say. And stand my ground. Once they know you won't budge they accept it. Also helps I tend to say it with witnesses like my Rep in close proximity.

We're getting the same line in our office ..being told we're lapsing then when you tell them you'll need overtime they start throwing it ain't busy at you and very reluctant to authorize OT.. Its not that we won't do the work needed but they start using figures and amount of feed that's came in doesn't warrant OT.. I'm getting to the point now that'll I'll just tell them I'm cutting off. My advice is work to your time , you'll know if your going to be over and if so cut off but remember to tell the management before you leave.. Good point always have someone with you when you tell them !!.
haddie
Posts: 143
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 09:05
Gender: Male

Re: What happens if i cannot complete?

Post by haddie »

CWU Notice .


‘Cutting Off’ on over-running deliveries

Firstly, as far as the CWU is concerned, there is no such thing as compulsory overtime. However, we also recognise that members who would prefer not to work over do experience pressure to complete a delivery, or inaction from managers when they are asked to cover part of a walk.

For their part, it is often difficult for managers to find volunteers to cover walks or parts of walks on overtime when someone says they don’t want to work over. The CWU and Royal Mail have nationally negotiated and agreed some basic guidelines on cut-offs and how to deal with over-running deliveries. These guidelines build on the process that was previously agreed as Appendix 3 of the Conduct Code Agreement, entitled ‘Safeguarding customers’ mail’.

The main points of these guidelines are as follows:

1. If you do not want or are unable to work beyond your duty finish time on a regular basis, then you should inform your line manager so that this can be planned into their staffing arrangements each week. Managers should keep an up-to-date list of staff who do not want to work over at all. Members who wish to add or remove their name from that list can do so simply by notifying their line manager.

2. If you are normally available to perform overtime on your delivery, but do not want to or cannot do so on a particular day, then you should inform your manager as soon as possible, preferably at the start of your duty.
For instance, if you have an appointment to keep, then you should inform your line manager before the day of the appointment, where this is possible. But if something crops up which was



not foreseeable, then you should inform your manager at the start of your duty.

3. There will also be times when the amount of mail arriving for a particular delivery is excessive, and you do not wish to work over. So, during preparation, when you feel you may experience difficulty in completing your delivery within your duty time, you should approach your manager as soon as possible. Actually it is a good idea to inform your manager as soon as it becomes clear that there will be a problem. This will give them more time to arrange cover for part of the delivery.

4. In all these cases, it is for your manager to discuss the issue with you and advise you what particular action should be taken. This could include leaving some of a bulk posting to the next day. But it is more likely to require leaving part of the delivery in the office for a different member of staff to deliver. In this situation, it is your manager’s responsibility to ensure that all the mail is delivered. It is their responsibility to arrange assistance for those requesting it.

5. However, if your manager does not provide any assistance, or take any workload off you, then you should ask for a phone number to ring before the end of your duty, in order to let the manager know what part of the delivery you will be unable to complete. You must then ring this number in time to arrange for the manager to collect the mail, or to be able to return it to the Delivery Office. If you get no answer, then you must return the mail to the Delivery Office, and inform your manager as soon as possible that you were unable to complete delivery. You must never take mail home with you.


As far as the CWU is concerned, there is no such thing as compulsory or unpaid overtime.