I got the £40 as a rough estimate for £500,000 having read here that £12.42 per month would give £150k.Lincox wrote:Lounge, again you are missing the point. Maybe your wife does earn more than you, but there is more to consider than money should you die. Your wife not be in a fit state to work or might need to give up or reduce hours to take more time with the kids. There is such a lot to consider and the only ones able to do that taking into account their personal circumstances are the ones considering insuring themselves. I dont know where you get the £40 from. Depends on many things, including age, gender, health and term of years. For a young couple this will be considerably cheaper than for someone in their late thirties/fourties assuming they are A1 health.
Please explain what point I'm missing.
You assume my wife's in a fit state to work now and that she might want or need 'more time with the kids' than now and you probably assume the Royal Mail death benefit wouldn't keep her going well enough for quite some time, and so long as you keep making wrong assumptions you're not in a position to offer me sensible advice.
There is indeed more to consider than money should I die but I've been about plenty long enough years so that's not something I give a lot of thought to.