ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Part time hours on full time rounds

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Silly Sarah
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 May 2010, 22:13
Gender: Female
Location: wild west

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by Silly Sarah »

factorycat wrote:
AJ1987 wrote:I'm on a full time round yet only on a 24hour contract. V.often come in and no prep is done, I do all my d2ds and redirections etc. Claim an hour overtime everyday so still only get 30hrs a week on a fulltime round. Bit of a swizz
do you come in on your 24hr contract and have to prep 2 walks? Or go on the ips??... No!!.. Well your not on a full time round then are you!!!... Your on exactly what your getting paid for... A 30hr contract..... Some people..... :crazy:
Thanks for your patronising contribution....Some people... Sometimes somebody will do some of my sequenced...I never know until I get to my frame. I'm happy to do anything within my hours but I object to being harrassed over prepping d2d. If I do them in the morning my f/t van share partner is hanging about and we both go over our time(his finish time is 30mins after mine). If I don't do them in the morning its unlikely I will get them all done and then I get harrassed by the dom. I always work my hours unlike a lot of f/ts who sod off early most days.
What have I done to deserve this?
hampshireman
Posts: 792
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 15:17
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by hampshireman »

factorycat wrote:
AJ1987 wrote:I'm on a full time round yet only on a 24hour contract. V.often come in and no prep is done, I do all my d2ds and redirections etc. Claim an hour overtime everyday so still only get 30hrs a week on a fulltime round. Bit of a swizz
do you come in on your 24hr contract and have to prep 2 walks? Or go on the ips??... No!!.. Well your not on a full time round then are you!!!... Your on exactly what your getting paid for... A 30hr contract..... Some people..... :crazy:
Is it me... but I just find this post offensive.

Maybe it's because typing something can look bad.. But the context and the attitude of the poster is out of order.

I am on 30hrs. And i find this kind of attitude as a cause of problems between FT and PT
Silly Sarah
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 May 2010, 22:13
Gender: Female
Location: wild west

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by Silly Sarah »

hampshireman wrote:
factorycat wrote:
AJ1987 wrote:I'm on a full time round yet only on a 24hour contract. V.often come in and no prep is done, I do all my d2ds and redirections etc. Claim an hour overtime everyday so still only get 30hrs a week on a fulltime round. Bit of a swizz
do you come in on your 24hr contract and have to prep 2 walks? Or go on the ips??... No!!.. Well your not on a full time round then are you!!!... Your on exactly what your getting paid for... A 30hr contract..... Some people..... :crazy:
Is it me... but I just find this post offensive.

Maybe it's because typing something can look bad.. But the context and the attitude of the poster is out of order.

I am on 30hrs. And i find this kind of attitude as a cause of problems between FT and PT
It's about time that some f/ts understood that us p/ts are not their lackeys!
What have I done to deserve this?
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by chrisj »

Sorry Sarah for my ignorance... But, how could you finish before your van share FT partner? Does he have extra duties to do after you have finished delivering all mail or does he drop you off and then finish off after you?

So what happens when you are on a day off? Who covers the round?And how exactly is this round a full time round and different from other rounds. How many FT rounds in your office and what happens to do them.

What is the delivery span? Does your FT partner sort on the IPS to make up his hours?
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by chrisj »

Yep, Aj's post did not address the sentiment of the 24 hour person on full time duty.

For argument sake, lets say there is something like a FT round/walk, the 24 hour person comes in preps and delivers this walk and gets paid only 1 hour on OT - that is not right!

I hour extra for a 24 hour to throw out d2ds, prep all the walk and deliver on a round that is larger than a normal round is verging on exploitation.

There is a couple of rounds in my office that might be classed as a FT round/walk but they are HCT single round walks - no P&L or van share
Stella102
Posts: 597
Joined: 06 Aug 2011, 19:32
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by Stella102 »

we have 8 hour duties in our office and part timers are expected to complete everything bar ips which takes no longer than 30 mins total bs imo.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by fishtank »

chrisj wrote:For argument sake, lets say there is something like a FT round/walk, the 24 hour person comes in preps and delivers this walk and gets paid only 1 hour on OT - that is not right!
Surely that would depend how long it takes to prep and deliver the round....
And surely you would book as much overtime as it took.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Silly Sarah
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 May 2010, 22:13
Gender: Female
Location: wild west

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by Silly Sarah »

chrisj wrote:Sorry Sarah for my ignorance... But, how could you finish before your van share FT partner? Does he have extra duties to do after you have finished delivering all mail or does he drop you off and then finish off after you?

So what happens when you are on a day off? Who covers the round?And how exactly is this round a full time round and different from other rounds. How many FT rounds in your office and what happens to do them.

What is the delivery span? Does your FT partner sort on the IPS to make up his hours?
All the walks/rounds in our office are f/t. My f/t van share starts 45mins before me and is supposed to sort but doesnt usually. His official end time is 30mins after mine. I know its crazy. He generally uses his extra 30mins to do his d2d. On my day off an f/t covers. Some p/ts get paid o/t to do their prep while others have to cope like me. The 24 and 25hr p/ts do delivery only.
What have I done to deserve this?
Biker Mouse
Posts: 543
Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 18:37
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by Biker Mouse »

I'm a part time 32hr delivery officer on a full time walk. I work 4 x 8hrs and a floater does the other two days. I get an extra day in if the floater has to go on another walk due to illness etc.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by eastie »

PhilthyPhil wrote:
bandit650 wrote: You should come in and the walk you are doing should be prepped that also includes D2D in fact the most you should do is the Redi's and pack your bags to go,if that is not happening then make it the managers problem not your own,don't allow other postie's to brow beat you,try not to get stressed about it,do the best you can.
That is total rubbish. What staff are expected to do in their hours will vary from office to office, depending largely on the length of delivery span used. Expecting someone on 32.5hrs to get all their mail preped for them is ridiculous. I can't think there is any office where all IPS and prep can be done in 1.3hrs.
On P/L how is a P/T 32 hour on 5 days supposed to catch up with the F/T on 39 hours on 5 days then if nobody throws his round off?
F/T start at 6.15 and P/T come in at 7.30 and the F/T has to throw off both rounds walksorted on P/L until the P/T comes in otherwise he will be over an hour behind his partner.
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by BingBong »

Silly Sarah wrote:As a part-timer on 32.5hrs in an office of only full time frames I feel I'm being screwed! I van share with full timers doing the same work as they do apart from the sorting. In fact some of them don't do that either and yet I'm still expected to do d2d and all the other crap. So I'm up to 6.5hrs down on them. In previous offices I've worked there have been dedicated part time 32.5hr duties. Where do I stand?
Im on 25 hours mate. Everything is meant to be prepped and ready but never is. I cut off if im out stupidly late.
Toon Army!
Silly Sarah
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 May 2010, 22:13
Gender: Female
Location: wild west

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by Silly Sarah »

eastie wrote:
PhilthyPhil wrote:
bandit650 wrote: You should come in and the walk you are doing should be prepped that also includes D2D in fact the most you should do is the Redi's and pack your bags to go,if that is not happening then make it the managers problem not your own,don't allow other postie's to brow beat you,try not to get stressed about it,do the best you can.
That is total rubbish. What staff are expected to do in their hours will vary from office to office, depending largely on the length of delivery span used. Expecting someone on 32.5hrs to get all their mail preped for them is ridiculous. I can't think there is any office where all IPS and prep can be done in 1.3hrs.
On P/L how is a P/T 32 hour on 5 days supposed to catch up with the F/T on 39 hours on 5 days then if nobody throws his round off?
F/T start at 6.15 and P/T come in at 7.30 and the F/T has to throw off both rounds walksorted on P/L until the P/T comes in otherwise he will be over an hour behind his partner.
To clarify...he starts his duty 45mins before me and usually just does his prep. His duty end is 30mins after mine. I can claim the difference as o/t if I go over but I still feel I'm being exploited.
What have I done to deserve this?
PhilthyPhil
Posts: 1155
Joined: 23 Nov 2007, 19:15

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by PhilthyPhil »

eastie wrote:On P/L how is a P/T 32 hour on 5 days supposed to catch up with the F/T on 39 hours on 5 days then if nobody throws his round off?
F/T start at 6.15 and P/T come in at 7.30 and the F/T has to throw off both rounds walksorted on P/L until the P/T comes in otherwise he will be over an hour behind his partner.
Do you have IPS fairies in your office or something?
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by bigcol »

PhilthyPhil wrote:
eastie wrote:On P/L how is a P/T 32 hour on 5 days supposed to catch up with the F/T on 39 hours on 5 days then if nobody throws his round off?
F/T start at 6.15 and P/T come in at 7.30 and the F/T has to throw off both rounds walksorted on P/L until the P/T comes in otherwise he will be over an hour behind his partner.
Do you have IPS fairies in your office or something?
If it's like our office, some FT walks do IPS, some don't.
Sergeant Blast
Posts: 140
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 22:09
Gender: Male
Location: Up North

Re: Part time hours on full time rounds

Post by Sergeant Blast »

We have similar issues in our office. Some FTs do ips, some don't, depending on how long it takes to prep their own round. We have several PTs working with FTs on van shares who have later start times and earlier finish times. PTs complain about the lack of prep on their frames. Some FTs dont want to help the PT after they are bagged up and just complain about having to wait. Don't even start me on D2Ds! All this causes no end of arguments between FTs and PTs and with management. The dom says he will look into it.... It's all just a ploy to get FT work done on the cheap. PTs exploited again. :arrrghhh