ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Floating duties vs duty holders

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
beethoven646
Posts: 12
Joined: 02 Sep 2007, 02:01

Re: Floating duties vs duty holders

Post by beethoven646 »

chrisj wrote:
The DOMs often take the easiest option possible for him and that often involves pandering to more senior staff and picking on the posties further down the ladder.
So true.
chrisj wrote:
My view is that the DOM should be able to move anyone whatsoever and all postmen should be flexible enough to do any round. If the P&L/frame has been set out correctly, anyone with a map should be able to do any round; and if working with someone who has done one part before, it should be even easier. Given that most senior staff know the locality and most work on the IPS, they should be able to do any round in the office - prepping and first day might be a bit awkward but it should not be that hard.
I agree. But only if the redistribution of labour is fair. Which it never is.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Floating duties vs duty holders

Post by chrisj »

Fairness is hardly encouraged by the UNION :roll: (not at RM anyway)
celerycelery
Posts: 675
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 16:44

Re: Floating duties vs duty holders

Post by celerycelery »

Would expect at least the manager and person to come and see if you dont mind swapping. If you do and want to stay on that round then surely person doing the overtime has to do the duty thats vacant.
beethoven646
Posts: 12
Joined: 02 Sep 2007, 02:01

Re: Floating duties vs duty holders

Post by beethoven646 »

celerycelery wrote:Would expect at least the manager and person to come and see if you dont mind swapping. If you do and want to stay on that round then surely person doing the overtime has to do the duty thats vacant.
Definitely the fair and proper way to do it.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Floating duties vs duty holders

Post by chrisj »

Can I just say that OT does not always work in a smooth way. The absence can get so bad and/or requirement for bodies might be so sudden that all the niceties might go out of the window.

The manager cannot really allow people to dilly-dally on OT, they often want a commitment as soon as poss, so they can can get on with other more pressing things. One thing they definitely do not want is having to go and do the OT themselves. So, if floater and sometimes a duty-holder has to be moved, so be it.

We are in delivery and delivery OT is not attractive either in terms of the pay or the extra walking and baggage to carry - its not like an SA or working in the Mail Centre.

I don't agree that your manager should speak to you the way your did (and some do) but modernisation, P&L and subsequent absenteeism is creating a mess and the manager feel it not just from the stress of the daily juggling act but the get even more bullied from the top than we do...

At least, you have a regular floating job, regular days off and more or less the same walks most of the time - small blessings!

I have been moved 3 times this week despite being on the rota to cover the same duty all week. I have had to go out on my own and moved to 2 other duties and even moved to another so that I can do overtime on half of the paired duty. It is easier that way as it is less travelling and logistics etc. As I am moved from mind, others also get moved along the chain - but we are mostly all junior staff/pt reserves... :crazy:
mandelsons_toenail
Posts: 1294
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:16
Gender: Male
Location: Outer Hebrides

Re: Floating duties vs duty holders

Post by mandelsons_toenail »

It's your duty that day

Not duty holder

Union now!
beethoven646
Posts: 12
Joined: 02 Sep 2007, 02:01

Re: Floating duties vs duty holders

Post by beethoven646 »

chrisj wrote: The manager cannot really allow people to dilly-dally on OT, they often want a commitment as soon as poss, so they can can get on with other more pressing things. One thing they definitely do not want is having to go and do the OT themselves. So, if floater and sometimes a duty-holder has to be moved, so be it.
But only if the moves are fair to all. Why does the duty holder take priority over me? Seniority doesn't come into it.
chrisj wrote: I don't agree that your manager should speak to you the way your did (and some do) but modernisation, P&L and subsequent absenteeism is creating a mess and the manager feel it not just from the stress of the daily juggling act but the get even more bullied from the top than we do...
Not my problem. Seriously.
chrisj wrote: I have been moved 3 times this week despite being on the rota to cover the same duty all week. I have had to go out on my own and moved to 2 other duties and even moved to another so that I can do overtime on half of the paired duty. It is easier that way as it is less travelling and logistics etc. As I am moved from mind, others also get moved along the chain - but we are mostly all junior staff/pt reserves... :crazy:
I appreciate what you're saying and I feel for you but I've been there, done that. I'm full time and have absolutely no need for or, or intention of, working overtime or making allowances for those who choose to do so (at least not before being asked, rather than told).
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Floating duties vs duty holders

Post by chrisj »

Like you said, you are a full time staff and what is the difference in income compared to a 30-hour or 24-hour?

Walks with a driver absent is enough to start moving people around - it is not just about OT but I know you don't care about OTs and your thread is about OTs but there you go. Good luck.
banddy
Posts: 208
Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 16:31
Gender: Male

Re: Floating duties vs duty holders

Post by banddy »

chrisj wrote:Its one of those RM quirks! Seniority rules!!!

The DOMs often take the easiest option possible for him and that often involves pandering to more senior staff and picking on the posties further down the ladder.

The DOM will not speak to an established member of staff the way he spoke to you. By his own admission, he said he could move anybody whenever he wants; but will he ever move the duty holder/senior staff when people like you decide to work your day off. If you said to your DOM, I will do overtime for you if only I get the easiest duty or a particular duty. I doubt he will say yes to you even if he is absolutely desperate.

The not so funny thing is that, I have found myself in situations where the DOM has promised me a duty on OT but when I turn up, it ends up being another duty; one I wouldn't have chosen. What to do? Drive all the way back home.

My view is that the DOM should be able to move anyone whatsoever and all postmen should be flexible enough to do any round. If the P&L/frame has been set out correctly, anyone with a map should be able to do any round; and if working with someone who has done one part before, it should be even easier. Given that most senior staff know the locality and most work on the IPS, they should be able to do any round in the office - prepping and first day might be a bit awkward but it should not be that hard.
===========================================================================================================================

if your colleague is in on overtime - it's HIM that should get whatever postal duty is being covered on O/T.

if YOU are being moved off the rotation to accomodate the guy/girl/person - who should be day off, then that means the other person is being treted more favourably than you are. if it is the other person's day off - that is your duty for that day!
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Floating duties vs duty holders

Post by POSTMAN »

It's called scummy colleagues,the w*****s must be breeding.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36

Re: Floating duties vs duty holders

Post by trythat »

We have this problem regualry in our office, and as much as I've tried to make the floaters duty their duty, more often than not, I've failed. We're short staffed, and operatiional needs gets quoted and you're a bit stuffed really. It's one of my pet peeves, and very frustrating!!!