ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Interview on Monday

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

Hitcher wrote:You'll soon see why.
I won't last long in the job if I got it then hitcher! I would not do 10 hours a week free work. I would be better off staying in my current job on less money and less hours if that was the case! If you worked it out at 30 hours work @ 20 hours wages you are on less than minimum wage.

I know there is a recession on but surely people will not let themselves be shafted like that!
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by BingBong »

divadee wrote:Why would people work 10 hours over their paid hours and not get paid for it?

At my current job we get paid for hours we do. Simple! I sometimes let them get away with the literally odd 5 minutes but I wouldn't give them 10 hours free labour! Why woul people do that? Even with the temp 3 month contract I wouldn't work for free! I dont mind overtime some days but would want to be paid for it.

Hhmmmm
I always ALWAYS book any overtime I do. Honestly dont worry and dont panic yourself before youve even given it a go. Just go for it. =)
Toon Army!
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by BingBong »

nerradc wrote:
divadee wrote:Why would people work 10 hours over their paid hours and not get paid for it?

At my current job we get paid for hours we do. Simple! I sometimes let them get away with the literally odd 5 minutes but I wouldn't give them 10 hours free labour! Why woul people do that? Even with the temp 3 month contract I wouldn't work for free! I dont mind overtime some days but would want to be paid for it.

Hhmmmm
I always ALWAYS book any overtime I do. Honestly dont worry and dont panic yourself before youve even given it a go. Just go for it. =)
There is alot of doom and gloom on here. But everyones situation is different. Ive had a moan about things but generally im ok. I'll say again whoever is working for free is an idiot and what the manager in those depots is doing is wrong. Never do overtime unless you want to and never do it for free. If you read into too much on here without giving it ago you'll frighten yourself. Just give it a try.
Toon Army!
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by krussel »

I agree with the above comment, just give it a go and see how you get on. :Very Happy

Its always tough (just like any new job) at first and can be hard on the feet legs and back. However every week your be getting fitter :cool
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
thefemalepostie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 150
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:00
Gender: Female

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by thefemalepostie »

Thanks everyone. The last couple of posts are similar to what my hubby has been saying to me. Give it a go first. People will always write the negative stuff more frequently than positives. We brits love a moan! Lol.

I will let you all know how the interview goes.

Any more tips gratefully received xxx
monkeymutha
Posts: 317
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:00
Gender: Female
Location: At the bottom of the bottomless pit

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by monkeymutha »

If your delivery is going to take longer than your finish time let the manager know ASAP (preferably before you go out but that comes with experience). The manager will probably just tell you to carry on and finish the walk if you can. You will get overtime for this, it is not unpaid. Though they do screw up the overtime hours when it comes to paying you keep an eye on your payslip, write it all down, and tell your DOM if it's wrong. If they think they can get away with it they will just to save money. I have always been underpaid, never overpaid!!!! :hmmmm
Hitcher
Posts: 1540
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by Hitcher »

Lincox wrote:Hitcher, your union rep needs to go if that is what is happening. You get paid for the hours you work over. No pay, no overtime. Simple.
The runners/early starters rule our office I'm afraid and recently voted to keep the 'swings and roundabouts' system run in our office.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by Judgee »

divadee wrote:Why would people work 10 hours over their paid hours and not get paid for it?

At my current job we get paid for hours we do. Simple! I sometimes let them get away with the literally odd 5 minutes but I wouldn't give them 10 hours free labour! Why woul people do that? Even with the temp 3 month contract I wouldn't work for free! I dont mind overtime some days but would want to be paid for it.

Hhmmmm

I guess it depends how much you need your job. One of the main reasons RM have these annoying rolling contracts is leverage. People are desperate and know if they don't jump every time the managers tell them to, all management have to do is let thier contracts lapse. You will see when you start, RM has nothing but contempt for its workforce, we are an annoying necessity that they would gladly remove if they could! :cry
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by BingBong »

divadee wrote:Thanks everyone. The last couple of posts are similar to what my hubby has been saying to me. Give it a go first. People will always write the negative stuff more frequently than positives. We brits love a moan! Lol.

I will let you all know how the interview goes.

Any more tips gratefully received xxx
Just kiss their ass at the interview. Ask about the possibility of overtime. Don't mention you cant do overtime, including the Saturdays. You can just turn it down when its offered on any given day. Basically come across as keen and willing. Worry about other things once youve nailed the job :-)
Toon Army!
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by wiganpostie »

The interview is quite easy. Obviously you'll be nervous, but they really don't try to throw you any curve balls. It's simple questions such as 'How do you feel about doing very repetitive work?' or 'Have you ever been in a job where you were responsible for valuable items?'
archy
Posts: 9
Joined: 12 Jul 2012, 11:57
Gender: Male

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by archy »

It's taken me about 1 and a half years to realise what this forum is always banging on about, not sure there is anyway to speed up the process but don't; work for free, run, flick through mail while you are walking, come in early, carry overwieght bags, ignore the trolley, doorstep, sign for customers, skip your D2D, skip vehicle checks, skip breaks, work flexitime without an agreement, fail to check your holidays are not booked to include your days off, be afraid to point out that you won't complete.

If you do the job properly you'll get to keep it and get paid for it, but as I say it'll probably take at least a year to understand that.
Spanishsteve
Posts: 20
Joined: 16 Aug 2012, 22:00
Gender: Male

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by Spanishsteve »

archy wrote:It's taken me about 1 and a half years to realise what this forum is always banging on about, not sure there is anyway to speed up the process but don't; work for free, run, flick through mail while you are walking, come in early, carry overwieght bags, ignore the trolley, doorstep, sign for customers, skip your D2D, skip vehicle checks, skip breaks, work flexitime without an agreement, fail to check your holidays are not booked to include your days off, be afraid to point out that you won't complete.

If you do the job properly you'll get to keep it and get paid for it, but as I say it'll probably take at least a year to understand that.
Excellent advice, short and sweet to the point.
Hitcher
Posts: 1540
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by Hitcher »

Except for the 'doing the job properly and keep it' bit.

PT's who stop working for nothing soon end up gone from our office.
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by krussel »

Tips for the interview.......

They seem worried about flexibilty at the moment so just tell them you can be flexible with your finish times to account for heavier days and bulk postings etc. You can sort that out for real when you actually start at the office.

Tip for the job....

Find out who your CWU rep is and join the Union. Think of it as an insurance policy and it will help you get paid for any overtime.

:wink:
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Interview on Monday

Post by POSTMAN »

On a serious note don't panic.

If you dress well,be articulate,seem sensible and give all the right answers you'll be fine,you WILL become a postie.

But if you feck up,talk bollox,wear ill fitting clothes and generally talk a load of Shite ,you'll get to be a line manager,if you're seriously stoooopid,you should get the line managers managers job.

Good luck :Very Happy
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.