ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
briantwigley
Posts: 135
Joined: 27 Mar 2012, 18:24
Gender: Male

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by briantwigley »

Something in the way forward about 30 minutes flexibility?
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by eastie »

I cut off because I use a l/w trolley, if I used a pouch on my shoulder I would finish on time.
If they want me to use a pouch on my shoulder I want it in writing from my DOM
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by P13 »

eastie wrote:I cut off because I use a l/w trolley, if I used a pouch on my shoulder I would finish on time.
If they want me to use a pouch on my shoulder I want it in writing from my DOM
Same here
Gills_Postie
Posts: 61
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 10:14
Gender: Male

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by Gills_Postie »

flaminmoses wrote:
chrisj wrote:Gill, what is doing your job properly? This is a vague and ambiquous expression...

You can try and do the job as best as you can following procedure and all that but the employer/management do have clauses that they can invoke to get round some perceived ways of doing things.

The idea of cutting-off is not as easy as some people here thinks - for starters, the Union (if I remember correctly) has aready agreed that we can be 30 minutes over depending on circumstances... Furthermore, there are times that we do not actually do the full hours that we are paid. Our employer can force us to return to base/depot to complete that time - hassle, I know; and people can then work at a slower pace (good!)...

Anyways, postmen rarely ever stick together on issues, so management can get round us and/or take advantage of divisions.

Some offices are tough, so managers are just as confrontational as some posties and these are hard times; continually cutting-off in some office might lead to aggravation and possibly conduct or even the sack. And the Union might not even be able to defend some people and/or their actions.

if you follow the correct procedure as in the conduct code they cant sack you.

they may make snide comments to wind you up or to scare you but if it ends up in tribunal (which they wont risk if you follow procedure and have a witness when you go in to see the dom) they will get laughed out of court as you have followed their own guidelines

^ This. We haven't had a revision in out office but we have to report back at the end of our time. Plenty of times I haven't done my lapse duty or I've cut off as I haven't had the time to do it. Work your hours, take your breaks and do the best you can and if you can't get it done bring it back.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

briantwigley wrote:Something in the way forward about 30 minutes flexibility?
No - 0/10 - Must try harder :left:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 819
Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
Gender: Male

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by flaminmoses »

Gills_Postie wrote:
flaminmoses wrote:
chrisj wrote:Gill, what is doing your job properly? This is a vague and ambiquous expression...

You can try and do the job as best as you can following procedure and all that but the employer/management do have clauses that they can invoke to get round some perceived ways of doing things.

The idea of cutting-off is not as easy as some people here thinks - for starters, the Union (if I remember correctly) has aready agreed that we can be 30 minutes over depending on circumstances... Furthermore, there are times that we do not actually do the full hours that we are paid. Our employer can force us to return to base/depot to complete that time - hassle, I know; and people can then work at a slower pace (good!)...

Anyways, postmen rarely ever stick together on issues, so management can get round us and/or take advantage of divisions.

Some offices are tough, so managers are just as confrontational as some posties and these are hard times; continually cutting-off in some office might lead to aggravation and possibly conduct or even the sack. And the Union might not even be able to defend some people and/or their actions.

if you follow the correct procedure as in the conduct code they cant sack you.

they may make snide comments to wind you up or to scare you but if it ends up in tribunal (which they wont risk if you follow procedure and have a witness when you go in to see the dom) they will get laughed out of court as you have followed their own guidelines

^ This. We haven't had a revision in out office but we have to report back at the end of our time. Plenty of times I haven't done my lapse duty or I've cut off as I haven't had the time to do it. Work your hours, take your breaks and do the best you can and if you can't get it done bring it back.

it is important to note that some offices may have different cutting off procedures.

in ours you have to tell the dom before you go out that you are struggling....always go in with a witness incase they deny it later.
Gills_Postie
Posts: 61
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 10:14
Gender: Male

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by Gills_Postie »

We have to do the same mate, or ring up before 12 if 'something occurs' whilst on delivery that could slow us down.
superports
Posts: 171
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
Gender: Male

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by superports »

Grow a pair?

When you've Continually been one of a very small number who will stand up to bullying management, when you've been constantly singled out, threatened with your job, told you're too slow, listened to all the managers snide comments, been forced to complete a duty even though it takes you over an hour beyond your time, missed appointments because of this, when you've seen management lie and cheat and conduct you because they can get away with it, eventually you'll get sick of it and just wish for a quiet life. Being able to come in on time, do your duty to the best of your ability and go home at your finish time. I'm not a fresh faced new recruit, I'm in over 10 years, but this is the worst management I've ever, ever had to work for. They can do whatever they want because they know they'll get away with it. What this s**t hole needs is an "undercover boss" type exposé, or the union to start highlighting the bullying that is rife in RM.
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by Budfrog »

superports wrote:Grow a pair?

When you've Continually been one of a very small number who will stand up to bullying management, when you've been constantly singled out, threatened with your job, told you're too slow, listened to all the managers snide comments, been forced to complete a duty even though it takes you over an hour beyond your time, missed appointments because of this, when you've seen management lie and cheat and conduct you because they can get away with it, eventually you'll get sick of it and just wish for a quiet life. Being able to come in on time, do your duty to the best of your ability and go home at your finish time. I'm not a fresh faced new recruit, I'm in over 10 years, but this is the worst management I've ever, ever had to work for. They can do whatever they want because they know they'll get away with it. What this s**t hole needs is an "undercover boss" type exposé, or the union to start highlighting the bullying that is rife in RM.
I think its a story we've heard far too often on these boards and there is no doubt there needs to be serious change in managerial culture, a zero tolerance to B%H (whoever commits it) with managerial capabilities tested (not by each other) and those who are not up to standard offered alternative work or VR.

When I was at a Mail Centre (somewhere west of London) we knew that the managerial style was to say the least questionable but had nothing concrete to back it up save a few B&H cases that were ... surprise surprise, dealt with colleagues of the very management the cases were against. Nothing positive ever resulted and to my knowledge the place is exactly the same today as it was then.

The only way to demonstrate in no uncertain terms that there is a problem is to draft and issue a confidential questionnaire to all OPGs and I believe the time has come for CWU to undertake such an exercise nationally.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by dvbuk55 »

Budfrog wrote:The only way to demonstrate in no uncertain terms that there is a problem is to draft and issue a confidential questionnaire to all OPGs and I believe the time has come for CWU to undertake such an exercise nationally.
:hmmmm As I recall there was to be "the biggest consultation ever to take place" - well it amounted to a few phone calls to friends of the CWU and of course in order to get a legitimate answer you need to ask the right questions - not the questions you already know the answer to and are happy with. Notwithstanding that where on earth are the Area and Div Reps who SHOULD be monitoring the BT2010 Agreement, which is clearly not working, reporting to HQ who should then investigate the B&H and failings BUT................nothing is happening and the situations go on and on.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by POSTMAN »

Ward Aug 2009 wrote:Bullying and harassment is now reaching shocking levels as local managers are allowed to pick on individuals. Sackings occur at the whim of over-promoted managers trying to deliver unrealistic budget savings linked to unfair work rates which people can’t cope with
Ward to Higson Oct 09 wrote:That Royal Mail agrees to an independent enquiry into the bullying and harassment of postal workers and immediately ceases the use of unagreed HR procedures.
Higson to Ward Oct 09 wrote:I reject any suggestion that there is widespread bullying and harassment of our people and we have asked you many times to let us have any examples or evidence that you may have on this important subject so we can thoroughly investigate them through our established process. As you know, we have a zero tolerance approach in this area.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Budfrog
Posts: 893
Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 02:19

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by Budfrog »

POSTMAN wrote:
Ward Aug 2009 wrote:Bullying and harassment is now reaching shocking levels as local managers are allowed to pick on individuals. Sackings occur at the whim of over-promoted managers trying to deliver unrealistic budget savings linked to unfair work rates which people can’t cope with
Ward to Higson Oct 09 wrote:That Royal Mail agrees to an independent enquiry into the bullying and harassment of postal workers and immediately ceases the use of unagreed HR procedures.
Higson to Ward Oct 09 wrote:I reject any suggestion that there is widespread bullying and harassment of our people and we have asked you many times to let us have any examples or evidence that you may have on this important subject so we can thoroughly investigate them through our established process. As you know, we have a zero tolerance approach in this area.
Maybe the evidence is not as hard and substantial as it should be because staff (OPGs and Managers) are simply too frightened to take matters further. The investigation process doesn't help as it is often the colleague of the accused bully who do the investigation and it puts them in an awkward position. As far as the zero tolerance is concerned that is complete and utter rubbish as we all know.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by fishtank »

It's common knowledge that the CWU are as nervous of a proper investigation into bullying as Royal Mail is.
My personal opinion is a bully is a bully,OPG or manager neither should have any place in the company and an unofficial agreement to keep quiet about their bullies if they keep quiet about ours is something both sides should be ashamed of.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by clashcityrocker »

fishtank wrote:It's common knowledge that the CWU are as nervous of a proper investigation into bullying as Royal Mail is.
Is it? I must be out of the loop.
What are our bullies up to?
Are they bullying managers or bullying other members of staff?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Why dont some postmen grow a pair??

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote: What are our bullies up to?
Are they bullying managers or bullying other members of staff?
You have no bullies in your office?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share