ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
You're playing with fire gents.
-
Locker Dave
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 21:34
- Gender: Male
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
A fair point.
-
TheCobra
- Posts: 249
- Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
- Gender: Male
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
Maybe the Royal Mail is full of people who have different aspirations than you? People who would be horrified at being that 'Sales guy' cnut who thinks he's the dogs bollocks just cos he drives a flash car, who wouldn't want to chat bollocks all day and attend pointless meetings talking to other sales w*****s, who might enjoy a simple and freer life wandering the streets of our good country?
Just a different outlook, money is nice, but I wouldn't want to work in sales for any money tbh, I've been there done that, used to have a much better paid job in computing, it bored the s**t out of me. Not everyone sees money/possessions as their primary goal in life. In fact people who flaunt it and try to show off just make me laugh, to think that there are so many people in life who look down on 'the postman' when I look down on them in different ways!
Freedom my friend.
Just a different outlook, money is nice, but I wouldn't want to work in sales for any money tbh, I've been there done that, used to have a much better paid job in computing, it bored the s**t out of me. Not everyone sees money/possessions as their primary goal in life. In fact people who flaunt it and try to show off just make me laugh, to think that there are so many people in life who look down on 'the postman' when I look down on them in different ways!
Freedom my friend.
-
Locker Dave
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 26 Jul 2009, 21:34
- Gender: Male
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
Again, a fair point.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
I totally agree with you about the importance of considering other opportunities, especially if unhappy in a job.Locker Dave wrote:Just a quick updeate incase any of you give a s**t. I am now a sales manager and pull in 60k a year. I know how hard I used to work, all through the night I used to listen to the same songs you endure. If you want it enough then please do something about it. I drive past my old colleagues in my brand new 30 grand car and bib n wave, I know they think i'm a cnut, but as I said before, RM is full of brilliant people scarred of stepping into their potential.
Think about this and if I offend you then show your response by using my words to light a fire in you.
I gave up a job that nearly killed me and several years later am far better off with Royal Mail on about half the pay, especially as I don't need £60,000 a year or a car, let alone a 'brand new 30 grand car'
And I believe my comment made on this thread three years and one month ago is as relevant now as it was then.
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
Glad you made it to a comfortable, well paid and I suppose.. relatively stress free position Locker Dave. I moved in the opposite direction to you, from a well paid sales management position to a part time job with Royal Mail 17 years ago and have never regretted it. At the time a re-evaluation of my lifestyle and responsibilities made it clear to me that young growing children needed a father who had more time for them and less for the exciting and overly fake world of commerce at the level I worked at.
Many years later, I have children I am proud of and a job I am equally proud of - still a postie, but for some years now full time and along with my wife, earning enough for a comfortable but not pretentious lifestyle. I have been protected from management idiocy to a great degree by my own management experience that enabled me to handle situations satisfactorily so I have few complaints.
There are horses for courses in our business, and one of the things a good postie needs is dedication to doing a difficult job - few people from the endless dole queues bring that quality with them so to suggest we are easily replaced is insulting to those who do their job well. You will find many examples of dissatisfaction and dissappointment posted in here and no doubt your own experiences contributed to those - but please don't assume that we are all in the same boat. I work with postmen I admire, local management that are decent and union and H&S reps that at least try to look after us - not sure that that is the case in many other jobs.
And finally .... I hope your executive lifestyle and ease of mobility in your £30000 car does as much to maintain your cardiovascular system as my nine miles a day on foot ... but I doubt it unless you are spending a good portion of your income on a gym membership.
Good luck Dave and don't feel sorry for us poor bullied posties - we have broad backs to carry the devils of privatisation that are coming soon - invest in us and make a fortune lol
Many years later, I have children I am proud of and a job I am equally proud of - still a postie, but for some years now full time and along with my wife, earning enough for a comfortable but not pretentious lifestyle. I have been protected from management idiocy to a great degree by my own management experience that enabled me to handle situations satisfactorily so I have few complaints.
There are horses for courses in our business, and one of the things a good postie needs is dedication to doing a difficult job - few people from the endless dole queues bring that quality with them so to suggest we are easily replaced is insulting to those who do their job well. You will find many examples of dissatisfaction and dissappointment posted in here and no doubt your own experiences contributed to those - but please don't assume that we are all in the same boat. I work with postmen I admire, local management that are decent and union and H&S reps that at least try to look after us - not sure that that is the case in many other jobs.
And finally .... I hope your executive lifestyle and ease of mobility in your £30000 car does as much to maintain your cardiovascular system as my nine miles a day on foot ... but I doubt it unless you are spending a good portion of your income on a gym membership.
Good luck Dave and don't feel sorry for us poor bullied posties - we have broad backs to carry the devils of privatisation that are coming soon - invest in us and make a fortune lol
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
Thanks for the update dave I'm sure we are all now empowered to move on to bigger and better things - more drops and a trolley. Oh on your monthly report dave, run it through a spell checker - scared has only 1 r..............but I'm sure you knew that.
-
flaminmoses
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 819
- Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
- Gender: Male
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
estate agent NAP
now stop sending out those ******* letters to council flats you tools
now stop sending out those ******* letters to council flats you tools
-
Tman
- Posts: 4146
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
Surprising how many ex-posties like to tell everyone how incredibly much they earn and how happy they now are as a (insert fantasy of choice here)
Funny how many of them end up back as posties via the agencies too.
Funny how many of them end up back as posties via the agencies too.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32819
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
How many? Shall I do a new group? What colour do you think we should go for?Him again wrote:Funny how many of them end up back as posties via the agencies too.
How many? Shall I do a new group? What colour do you think we should go for?Him again wrote:Surprising how many ex-posties like to tell everyone how incredibly much they earn and how happy they now are as a (insert fantasy of choice here)
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
Well for what it's worth, my fantasy is walking down a tree lined boulevard when from behind a tree out steps a beautiful young woman totally naked and says - hey why don't you go to town - unfortunately I'd just been and was on my way homePOSTMAN wrote:How many? Shall I do a new group? What colour do you think we should go for?Him again wrote:Funny how many of them end up back as posties via the agencies too.
How many? Shall I do a new group? What colour do you think we should go for?Him again wrote:Surprising how many ex-posties like to tell everyone how incredibly much they earn and how happy they now are as a (insert fantasy of choice here)
-
Tman
- Posts: 4146
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
Too many.How many?
Your site, your choice, but isn't there enough fantasy tosh spoken by some here already without encouraging even more who just have to tell you about how much greener that grass is outside of RM..?Shall I do a new group?
Green, to match the gullible one's eyes?What colour do you think we should go for?
-
solcat
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 15:26
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
20 years down the Pit Good money, on 23rd year Postie not bad monies,guess which one I prefer 
-
goldy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
- Gender: Male
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
i used to earn double what i earn now but if you consider the travel time etc in my old job iwas doing 12 hour days the money for woking as a posty is relatively good its almost the equivalent of a tradesman in our area you do have to put up with being treated like a child though and being spoke down to by customers .Lounge Lizard wrote:I totally agree with you about the importance of considering other opportunities, especially if unhappy in a job.Locker Dave wrote:Just a quick updeate incase any of you give a s**t. I am now a sales manager and pull in 60k a year. I know how hard I used to work, all through the night I used to listen to the same songs you endure. If you want it enough then please do something about it. I drive past my old colleagues in my brand new 30 grand car and bib n wave, I know they think i'm a cnut, but as I said before, RM is full of brilliant people scarred of stepping into their potential.
Think about this and if I offend you then show your response by using my words to light a fire in you.
I gave up a job that nearly killed me and several years later am far better off with Royal Mail on about half the pay, especially as I don't need £60,000 a year or a car, let alone a 'brand new 30 grand car'
And I believe my comment made on this thread three years and one month ago is as relevant now as it was then.
-
anTi
- Posts: 380
- Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 15:54
- Gender: Male
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
Here you go Dave, watch this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like looking the mirror eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like looking the mirror eh?
-
Stormproof
- Posts: 6116
- Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Re: You're playing with fire gents.
or thisanTi wrote:Here you go Dave, watch this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like looking the mirror eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qurTK_0re3Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets
Illegitimi non carborundum