ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while driving

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16702
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by clashcityrocker »

How is "careless driving" different to "dangerous driving"?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by Lounge Lizard »

clashcityrocker wrote:How is "careless driving" different to "dangerous driving"?
There is no statutory definition of bad driving, but there are a number of general offences that directly concern or may relate to the way in which a vehicle is driven. These are:
murder;
manslaughter;
causing death by dangerous driving;
causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs;
dangerous driving;
causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving;
causing death by driving whilst unlicensed;
uninsured or disqualified;
careless or inconsiderate driving;
wanton and furious driving; and
aggravated vehicle taking.
:shock:
Definition of dangerous driving (Archbold 32-27) (Wilkinson 5.03).
A person drives dangerously when the way his standard of driving falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver and it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous.
:shock:
Careless/inconsiderate driving
This offence is committed when the defendant's driving falls below the standard expected of a competent and careful driver (section 3ZA RTA). In determining what is to be expected of a competent and careful driver the prosecutor must take into account not only the circumstances of which the driver could be expected to be aware, but also any circumstances shown to have been within the driver's knowledge.
The test of whether the standard of driving has fallen below the required standard is objective. It applies both when the manner of driving in question is deliberate and when it occurs as a result of incompetence, inadvertence or inexperience.
:shock:
More on http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road ... d_driving/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:How is "careless driving" different to "dangerous driving"?
Usually with dangerous driving there has to be intent and a real danger either of injury to any other persons or serious damage to property.
In this case reading the document was clear intent but because of the time and how quiet the road was it was considered that there was minimal danger to others.
He was lucky,it was borderline. :neutral:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

DB1100 wrote: Calm down and stop getting hysterical,there was no other traffic apart from the ambulance driver,nobody got killed or maimed
So the end justifies the means. :crazy: :crazy:

To take this to an obscene and ridiculous point is it okay to Drink and Drive as long as you don't hit anything or don't get caught. Of course not, its an offence to drink and drive and its an offence to impair your driving by reading a manual.
DB1100 wrote:,the driver said a warning light came on that he was unfamiliar with and he was trying to find out what it was for
On the face of it nothing wrong with that - except he was in a truck moving at a maximum of 57mph and weighing a minimum of 7.5 tonnes. - An impact force of 815 tonnes :shock: :shock:
DB1100 wrote:if you look at the case it doesn't say he repeatadley swerved all over the place does it,
One swerve as the ambulance passed him could have been enough to cause an accident. The crime is not the swerving, he could have been driving dead straight and between the lines - it's the act of reading while driving that's dangerous.
DB1100 wrote:ok he should have pulled over on to the hard shoulder and checked it out,
No he shouldn't - it was not an emergency - a "warning light" came one. He should continue driving until there is a safe place to pull over and consult the instruction manual. In the meantime he should remain alert to any changes in the way the vehicle operates. If the vehicle exhibits any dangerous symptoms, such as full or partial loss of brakes, fire or imminent catastrophic failure then he should pull onto the Hard Shoulder.
DB1100 wrote:but he doesn't deserve to have the book thrown at him.
He didn't have the book thrown at him. If he had been found guilty of the original offence he would have lost his licence and job. They took that on board and found him guilty of a lesser offence. He was lucky - again.
DB1100 wrote:Don't talk daft,completely different thing,If he was reading the manual in heavy traffic I could understand your outrage but it wasn't.
If he was in heavy traffic and was reading the manual when the vehicle was stationary then there may be a case for your argument. However he was in a moving vehicle and in either situation its was a dangerous and stupid action.
DB1100 wrote:plus a car on the hard shoulder without lights shows up a long way away,
It does it you are concentrating on driving, in good light conditions, and not reading a manual. A quick glance at the manual taking between 1 and 2 seconds means his vehicle probably travelled 83 ft to 167ft when he wasn't looking, even worse if it was probably dark at the time (early morning in January) that will cut down the distance you first spot a hazard on what is a mostly unlit road (check out google maps/street view)
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by DB1100 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
DB1100 wrote: Calm down and stop getting hysterical,there was no other traffic apart from the ambulance driver,nobody got killed or maimed
So the end justifies the means. :crazy: :crazy:

To take this to an obscene and ridiculous point is it okay to Drink and Drive as long as you don't hit anything or don't get caught. Of course not, its an offence to drink and drive and its an offence to impair your driving by reading a manual.
DB1100 wrote:,the driver said a warning light came on that he was unfamiliar with and he was trying to find out what it was for
On the face of it nothing wrong with that - except he was in a truck moving at a maximum of 57mph and weighing a minimum of 7.5 tonnes. - An impact force of 815 tonnes :shock: :shock:
DB1100 wrote:if you look at the case it doesn't say he repeatadley swerved all over the place does it,
One swerve as the ambulance passed him could have been enough to cause an accident. The crime is not the swerving, he could have been driving dead straight and between the lines - it's the act of reading while driving that's dangerous.
DB1100 wrote:ok he should have pulled over on to the hard shoulder and checked it out,
No he shouldn't - it was not an emergency - a "warning light" came one. He should continue driving until there is a safe place to pull over and consult the instruction manual. In the meantime he should remain alert to any changes in the way the vehicle operates. If the vehicle exhibits any dangerous symptoms, such as full or partial loss of brakes, fire or imminent catastrophic failure then he should pull onto the Hard Shoulder.
DB1100 wrote:but he doesn't deserve to have the book thrown at him.
He didn't have the book thrown at him. If he had been found guilty of the original offence he would have lost his licence and job. They took that on board and found him guilty of a lesser offence. He was lucky - again.
DB1100 wrote:Don't talk daft,completely different thing,If he was reading the manual in heavy traffic I could understand your outrage but it wasn't.
If he was in heavy traffic and was reading the manual when the vehicle was stationary then there may be a case for your argument. However he was in a moving vehicle and in either situation its was a dangerous and stupid action.
DB1100 wrote:plus a car on the hard shoulder without lights shows up a long way away,
It does it you are concentrating on driving, in good light conditions, and not reading a manual. A quick glance at the manual taking between 1 and 2 seconds means his vehicle probably travelled 83 ft to 167ft when he wasn't looking, even worse if it was probably dark at the time (early morning in January) that will cut down the distance you first spot a hazard on what is a mostly unlit road (check out google maps/street view)
This is nothing like drinking and driving,a warning light can mean an emergency,i.e low oil pressure could mean he has lost all his oil all over the motorway,if they could have made the original offence stick they would have done as it is they only have the word of the ambulance driver,if it had been me driving I would have denied reading the manual and said I had a sneezing fit,to answer your point about not seeing a car on the hard shoulder the lorries headlights would have lit up the vehicles reflectors for at least a quarter of a mile as I said much ado about nothing.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by Lounge Lizard »

"if it had been me driving I would have denied reading the manual and said I had a sneezing fit" - and add perjury to charge to ensure you get the custodial sentance you deserve :nana :nana

"a warning light can mean an emergency" :left: :left:

"This is nothing like drinking and driving" - an idiotic statement. :shock: I have been unsafe while driving when too tired and I have been unsafe when driving when ill, neither of which I should have done and both undoubtedly more dangerous than if I had driven after ample sleep and in good health but slightly over the drink drive limit, not that I do that I hasten to add ( i keep below the limit ) nor would I condone anyone else driving over the limit. :shock:
It would make no difference if someone was killed by a driver reading a manual or a driver over the drink driving limit. Both are totally unacceptable. :sad:
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by DB1100 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:"if it had been me driving I would have denied reading the manual and said I had a sneezing fit" - and add perjury to charge to ensure you get the custodial sentance you deserve :nana :nana

"a warning light can mean an emergency" :left: :left:

"This is nothing like drinking and driving" - an idiotic statement. :shock: I have been unsafe while driving when too tired and I have been unsafe when driving when ill, neither of which I should have done and both undoubtedly more dangerous than if I had driven after ample sleep and in good health but slightly over the drink drive limit, not that I do that I hasten to add ( i keep below the limit ) nor would I condone anyone else driving over the limit. :shock:
It would make no difference if someone was killed by a driver reading a manual or a driver over the drink driving limit. Both are totally unacceptable. :sad:
You do talk some drivel.A glance at the manual is nothing like being drunk whilst driving,you lot make mountains out of molehills,at the end of the day he strayed onto the hard shoulder thats all,no near miss no one injured,stop being drama queens.
For we were soldiers once,and young
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32803
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by POSTMAN »

:neutral:
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72741
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

DB1100 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:"if it had been me driving I would have denied reading the manual and said I had a sneezing fit" - and add perjury to charge to ensure you get the custodial sentance you deserve :nana :nana

"a warning light can mean an emergency" :left: :left:

"This is nothing like drinking and driving" - an idiotic statement. :shock: I have been unsafe while driving when too tired and I have been unsafe when driving when ill, neither of which I should have done and both undoubtedly more dangerous than if I had driven after ample sleep and in good health but slightly over the drink drive limit, not that I do that I hasten to add ( i keep below the limit ) nor would I condone anyone else driving over the limit. :shock:
It would make no difference if someone was killed by a driver reading a manual or a driver over the drink driving limit. Both are totally unacceptable. :sad:
You do talk some drivel.A glance at the manual is nothing like being drunk whilst driving,you lot make mountains out of molehills,at the end of the day he strayed onto the hard shoulder thats all,no near miss no one injured,stop being drama queens.
and you are belittling a dangerous act by making excuses - its hardly a glance at the operators manual. He has to find it first, then he had to find the page that shows warning lights, then he had to read the description - hardly a glance.

Also if he was a driver with experience he would be able tell what an Oil warning light was they tend to be generic, as do the warning lights for all the other emergency warnings. At least they were when I failed my HGV course.

As to being a drama queen, I'll accept that and I wear it as a badge of pride. In Northern Ireland a mate of mine was cut in half in a car accident, he died, this was a van on a country road and the bloke later admitted to bending down to pick something up he was distracted for only a few seconds. My mate was behind a land rover just setting up a VCP. Also in the early 70s I had a close Uncle killed by a tanker driver jumping a light. So yes I am a drama queen on this particular subject, and I will always be proud to be.

I am glad I will never be paired with you as if you find this behaviour acceptable because no one was hurt. I'd hate to see what risks you take on the same chance.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16702
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by clashcityrocker »

I'm a drama queen as well.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by Lounge Lizard »

DB1100 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:"if it had been me driving I would have denied reading the manual and said I had a sneezing fit" - and add perjury to charge to ensure you get the custodial sentance you deserve :nana :nana

"a warning light can mean an emergency" :left: :left:

"This is nothing like drinking and driving" - an idiotic statement. :shock: I have been unsafe while driving when too tired and I have been unsafe when driving when ill, neither of which I should have done and both undoubtedly more dangerous than if I had driven after ample sleep and in good health but slightly over the drink drive limit, not that I do that I hasten to add ( i keep below the limit ) nor would I condone anyone else driving over the limit. :shock:
It would make no difference if someone was killed by a driver reading a manual or a driver over the drink driving limit. Both are totally unacceptable. :sad:
You do talk some drivel.A glance at the manual is nothing like being drunk whilst driving,you lot make mountains out of molehills,at the end of the day he strayed onto the hard shoulder thats all,no near miss no one injured,stop being drama queens.
No more 'drivel' than interpreting "concentrating so hard on the instruction manual that he swerved onto the hard shoulder before veering back onto the M90 motorway" as "a glance at the manual". :crazy: And, like it or not, there's many a motorist over the drink drive limit, or 'drunk' as you would have it, that covers many miles without swerving onto the hard shoulder before veering back onto a motorway", very wrong, I agree, but dangerous driving comes in many forms and just might, or might not, have disasterous consequences. :sad: You would benefit from a wider perspective than the simplistic Daily Mail type blame attitude, anything wrong on the roads is the fault of drink drivers, anything wrong with the economy is the fault of East European migrants, anything else wrong in Britain is the fault of the Labour party and anything else wrong in the world is because Britain no longer has an empire. :crazy: Sorry, I digress. :Very Happy Drink driving was indeed a serious problem in the 1960s and I remember even in the 1970s motorists boasting about how many pints they had consumed the previous evening before somehow driving home, but thankfully attitudes have changed, few motorists ignore that law like they once did and drink driving is now the cause of a small proportion deaths and serious injuries on the roads. It's to be hoped that just as the drink driving message has now largely been accepted, although there will sadly always be a few idiots that ignore any law, society in a far shorter time similarily accepts the need not to use excessive speed, not to read instruction manuals and not to otherwise drive in a dangerous or inappropriate way. :Very Happy
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by DB1100 »

It was you who compared it to drink driving not me,and as a former HGV 1 driver I know enough to say that if the truck was going at 56mph and "swerved" on to the hard shoulder it would have been close to tipping over it takes a lot of steering wheel movement to make an HGV swerve more like the driver strayed on to it and then corrected it as someone said before if he looked at the manual for 2 seconds he would have travelled 60 yds well within headlight range,a bad mistake on the drivers part but no reason to get hysterical about it,calm down and carry on,motorways are still the safest roads in the country.And by the way I don't read the Daily Mail ,to anti forces for me I am a Daily Telegraph reader try it you might like it,but then again it hasn't got any of those daft smilies things that you like so you might not.
For we were soldiers once,and young
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16702
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by clashcityrocker »

:funneh
DB1100 wrote:And by the way I don't read the Daily Mail ,too anti forces for me. I am a Daily Telegraph reader try it you might like it,
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by Lounge Lizard »

DB1100 wrote:It was you who compared it to drink driving not me,and as a former HGV 1 driver I know enough to say that if the truck was going at 56mph and "swerved" on to the hard shoulder it would have been close to tipping over it takes a lot of steering wheel movement to make an HGV swerve more like the driver strayed on to it and then corrected it as someone said before if he looked at the manual for 2 seconds he would have travelled 60 yds well within headlight range,a bad mistake on the drivers part but no reason to get hysterical about it,calm down and carry on,motorways are still the safest roads in the country.And by the way I don't read the Daily Mail ,to anti forces for me I am a Daily Telegraph reader try it you might like it,but then again it hasn't got any of those daft smilies things that you like so you might not.
Which of us first made a comparison to drink driving is of no consequence, but you were happy enough to unconvincingly keep going on about "completely different", this is nothing like drink driving" and " nothing like being drunk". :shock:
I am reassured though by one word in your latest post, "former" :Very Happy That you are no longer an HGV driver is good news indeed, and I'm sure our roads are all the safer now. :nana
And I understand that the Torygraph is just a slightly upmarket version of the Daily Mail. :sad:
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: R M driver reading manual on steering wheel while drivin

Post by DB1100 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
DB1100 wrote:It was you who compared it to drink driving not me,and as a former HGV 1 driver I know enough to say that if the truck was going at 56mph and "swerved" on to the hard shoulder it would have been close to tipping over it takes a lot of steering wheel movement to make an HGV swerve more like the driver strayed on to it and then corrected it as someone said before if he looked at the manual for 2 seconds he would have travelled 60 yds well within headlight range,a bad mistake on the drivers part but no reason to get hysterical about it,calm down and carry on,motorways are still the safest roads in the country.And by the way I don't read the Daily Mail ,to anti forces for me I am a Daily Telegraph reader try it you might like it,but then again it hasn't got any of those daft smilies things that you like so you might not.
Which of us first made a comparison to drink driving is of no consequence, but you were happy enough to unconvincingly keep going on about "completely different", this is nothing like drink driving" and " nothing like being drunk". :shock:
I am reassured though by one word in your latest post, "former" :Very Happy That you are no longer an HGV driver is good news indeed, and I'm sure our roads are all the safer now. :nana
And I understand that the Torygraph is just a slightly upmarket version of the Daily Mail. :sad:
20 odd years HGV driving and no serious accidents,seen plenty of bad drivers van and truck and coach at least I know what I am talking about when it comes to driving,I wish I lived a fault free and blameless life like you,no on second thoughts I don't,anyway watch out for swerving lorries and remember I still drive a transit or maxxus and I like to do the crossword when I am driving.
For we were soldiers once,and young