ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

absorbtion/summer lapsing

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by fishtank »

Himaggen wrote:Do you actually think that good Managers will thrive in an environment where those over whom they have authority tell them what is happening.
Yes.
A good manager knows where their expertise lies,where it is severely limited and where they can use the experience of others.
When it comes to how much work an OPG can complete during delivery the person with the expertise is the OPG not the manager...that's only common sense.

That is a major failing in Royal Mail's operational managers,they think that the stripes immediately make them experts in every part of the job from delivery and collections to processing and even medical assessments.
They usually end up making fools of themselves at some point. :cuppa
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by dvbuk55 »

:hmmmm you'd go along way to find a good manager in RM. It's the same with all corporate managers, they aren't really managers in the strictest sense.
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by Himaggen »

Okay then continue to tell your Managers what to do, and we'll see how this helps with the most commonly reported problem within Royal Mail, employee-Manager relations.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by fishtank »

Himaggen wrote:Okay then continue to tell your Managers what to do, and we'll see how this helps with the most commonly reported problem within Royal Mail, employee-Manager relations.
We don't tell them what to do.
We attempt to tell them how best we can do our job using our experience.
A decent manager will take that on board,a poor manager will insist it's done his/her way using his/her limited experience.
It doesn't take a management degree to work out which way causes problems with employee/manager relations.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by Patrick Clifton »

Himaggen wrote:Okay then continue to tell your Managers what to do, and we'll see how this helps with the most commonly reported problem within Royal Mail, employee-Manager relations.
You forgot to use your italics in a condescending manner in this post....

Just Sayin'
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by clashcityrocker »

fishtank wrote: They usually end up making fools of themselves at some point. :cuppa
And that's when they get promoted.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
malcolm3011
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 303
Joined: 05 Aug 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by malcolm3011 »

PhilthyPhil wrote:How can you be starting summer absorption at the end of August/start of september? Ours ended last week.

Summer absorbtion....we do it year round except the run up to Christmas :crazy:
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by Himaggen »

fishtank wrote:We don't tell them what to do.
You may not but my responses were only to the OPGs who basically did!
music4essex wrote:I told the lino I would take part of the lapsing, and if I had enough time would come back for the rest
In this scenario both options were provided by the OPG and neither were part of a two way discussion nor considered acceptable by the DOM.
demon wrote:you just tell them your not working over and you will bring it back or will ring them 20 mins before you time is up to come and collect what you have left
This one is even better, not only is the OPG providing both options, but the latter involves the OPG stipulating a time specific collection.

As I'm tired of saying, having an informed conversation with the expert OPG and their responsible Manager is exactly what we want and need. What we don't need are pushy OPGs who are incapable of respectful discussion and who lay down the law to their superiors with an expectation that it somehow forms an agreement. Both the quoted responses would be fine if they formed part of the discussion neither are fine unless agreed by the Manager before leaving.
iceman1277
Posts: 103
Joined: 28 Jan 2010, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by iceman1277 »

we laps 3 dutys all year lol

Members should follow the official guidance for overrunning deliveries at all times, WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL GUIDANCE FOR OVERRUNING DELIVERYS. i have to cut out mail on my own round most days to do the lapsing part.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16736
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by clashcityrocker »

As I'm tired of saying, having an informed conversation with the expert OPG and their responsible Manager is exactly what we want and need.

Responsible manager?
The thick twat in a Primark shirt who has been promoted way beyond his level of competence and seems to get a hard-on every time he gets to wield a little bit of power?
Who is "we"?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by fishtank »

superiors
I haven't heard that term in a long time thankfully....
Do you honestly believe that the scenario of a pushy OPG laying down the law to a "superior" is likely to be a common one Himmagen?
Not in my experience,lots like to talk the talk but at the end of the day the vast majority know who holds the cards.
I told the lino I would take part of the lapsing, and if I had enough time would come back for the rest
That is a perfectly reasonable position to take,she was willing to take part of the lapsing but did not believe she would have time to do the full thing....but still was prepared,if she was wrong to come back and complete it.
It is neither pushy nor laying down the law...it is following the correct procedure.
The fact that the manager refused this does not change that,his word does not alter or trump nationally or even locally agreed procedure.
That's why we use the word "agreed".
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

music4essex wrote:I finished at 13.15 cycled back to office with cut off and pkt left and dom/lino were both standing there I plonked it down it front of them at 13.31 which is my finish time as I start M/R time
You have possibly opened the door to land yourself in trouble, from that statement you have taken your meal relief at end of shift, thats not actually allowed the 20 min should be somewhere in the middle, by handing you mail back before end of your shift manager could reasonably say you finished early as he can reasonably believe you took your meal relief earlier and you handing it back 20 min before your shift actually ends means that was 20 mins you could have used to deliver it
music4essex
Posts: 717
Joined: 15 Oct 2009, 16:18
Gender: Female

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by music4essex »

You have possibly opened the door to land yourself in trouble, from that statement you have taken your meal relief at end of shift, thats not actually allowed the 20 min should be somewhere in the middle, by handing you mail back before end of your shift manager could reasonably say you finished early as he can reasonably believe you took your meal relief earlier and you handing it back 20 min before your shift actually ends means that was 20 mins you could have used to deliver it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zx135

Thanks for the advice all opg's in my office take M/R at end of duty, If i were to take a 20 min break then i would have carried on, but my delivery span is actually meant to be 3hrs(atos/dda) but on heavy days this quite often goes over longer, and that is without absorbing, my dom set this up, so why should I take extra out knowing full well i won't get it done in 3hr when quite often i can go over by 30-45 mins on heavy days,.

Himmagen I actually spoke to lino before I left the office they had every opportunity to discuss with me what I was capable of actually delivering,(instead of smoking out on the dock) but they wished not too, I did not want to take it all out as I knew by the time I left the office there would not be enough time, when the dom came out to me on delivery at 12.30 and insisted I take the mail I said I would not have time to do it, as I still had an 45 mins of delivery left, 10 mins cycle back to office, my dom would not except my explanation and bullied me into taking the bundle of mail, so in fact he is the one who should be done for Wilful delay .
I just followed Royal mails cut off procedure is that wrong :hmmmm

Essex mum :cuppa
ElvisGaddafi
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:17
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by ElvisGaddafi »

I wish the managers who post on here masquerading as posties would have the balls to admit who/ what they are.
The sky is white as clay, with no sun.
Work has to be done.
Postmen like doctors go from house to house.
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: absorbtion/summer lapsing

Post by Patrick Clifton »

ElvisGaddafi wrote:I wish the managers who post on here masquerading as posties would have the balls to admit who/ what they are.
I am actually Moya :whistle