ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Staying or going ???

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by Patrick Clifton »

5plusbonusball wrote: As for Mr Clifton , I think you are one of the newbies who "knows" the dom too well
I treat the DOM like I treat anyone else. If they treat me in a civil manner, I return that. They treat me like crap, then I do my contracted hours, I deliver what I need to deliver and I walk out the door.
and who is in his first ever employment!
Without being too precise. I have been in full time employment for over 10 years. Royal Mail is not my first full time employer.
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by 5plusbonusball »

Not having a go at you mate but hey , your office must be absolutely perfect with no moaners and everything just hunky dory. :roll: Your office must be the one that's not failing or you're the one in your office who's got that easy 'old ladies' duty :Very Happy
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by Patrick Clifton »

5plusbonusball wrote:Not having a go at you mate but hey , your office must be absolutely perfect with no moaners and everything just hunky dory. :roll: Your office must be the one that's not failing or you're the one in your office who's got that easy 'old ladies' duty :Very Happy
I can assure you that my office is very, very far from perfect. Rumours circulating that it's all being re-done :Very Happy

My office has its fair share of moaners. Are they looking for something else? I dunno. I just dont see why they continually turn up and constantly moan about anything and everything.

Despite being quite far down the seniority list, I have been quite lucky tbh. I am usually able to finish at my due finishing time :dance
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by 5plusbonusball »

It's not about luck, the duties should all be equal , and made equal from day 1 in the FIRST revision, not having to go through mini revisions.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by Patrick Clifton »

5plusbonusball wrote:It's not about luck, the duties should all be equal , and made equal from day 1 in the FIRST revision, not having to go through mini revisions.
They are pretty much equal in the sense that most of the duties now require their full requirment of daily hours to be worked. I meant 'luck' in the sense that I dont have to go through the process of overtime to complete my delivery/cut off mail.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by Judgee »

Well I put in for VR a couple of years ago to see what was on offer. It worked out about half a years salary which for me just wasn't worth the risk, financially I have to work and have very little savings. This was immediately prior to the revision in our office.

Couple of years down the line now and I think I would give a lot more serious thought to taking it if it was ever on offer again. I can live with the longer hours but I'm struggling with the depression. It feels like a large doom cloud has appeared over the office. Everyone is down and moody, laughs are very few and very very far between.

Might just be worth the risk taking VR now, before I go completely insane! :crazy:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Getting increasingly more disillusioned with this job every working day since P&L, only now I can hear others saying what I'm thinking at their frames on my section...

Waking every morning except on the lightest days (Mondays, Tuesdays) in the lightest few weeks of the year, knowing full well that the time guidelines for their duty are massively unachievable if using deliver methods properly (no weight on shoulder, pushing mail laiden trolley around), a daily chore/stress to justify leaving ~25% of the frame behind and even then its a close call whether they finish on time.

And its only going to get heavier in terms of letters and packets as we approach Xmas, then there's the extra time we are all going to need for leaving stuff with neighbours kicking in at the end of next month. The days will get shorter and so even those staying out well beyond 3pm now to complete the whole round will not want to be out delivering in the dark. Its going to get very messy, as the planners/managers are stating rounds will not be reduced in size, they will not admit that their data is far from perfect and people are looking to find the online bargains even more in these hard financial times. Look out for new indoor job vacancies in an office near you, because the vast majority of currently employed OPGs will need virtually all the prepping done for them so the mammoth outdoor delivery spans with meal relief can be done without o/t or cutoffs.

... Time to start checking what other jobs are out there me thinks.
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by DirtyHarry »

I hate my job, and detest Royal Mail's management set-up, and loathe Royal Mail as a company.

I didn't always feel that way, not when I had a job I loved, one I enjoyed doing, when coming into work wasn't a real chore, and I was treated fairly, decently, and with respect, by managers.

But, that was then, and this is now, and no amount of head-in-sand burying will change that.
protect us
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 167
Joined: 12 Oct 2007, 23:27

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by protect us »

Hi everyone - and MANY THANKS for all your input on this so far ! It's given me the general feeling that I have had for the past year confirmed (since P&l) etc and I have with regret decided to move on after nearly 14years of service - what am I going to do ??? You may ask ! Answer is I'm not too sure yet but I know both my body and mind has just simply reached the point where I have had enough and realise lifes too short to continue with the way the job is now - I loved my job , did everything to the best I could and even went on strike when asked to support others views and seek fairness but it has Ment very little and like a previous poster said "that was then and this is now" it's a totally different job now , in fact you think every year it won't get any worse and it does ! Oh and as for Atos looking after your health ??? Ill let you fill in the blanks ---------! Anyway good luck everybody - I have some great memories from the early days and feel proud to have served within some good days from the past ! Take care everybody X
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by 5plusbonusball »

When all us oldies and veterans have been pushed out, there will be a company called world class mail, being run by lazy managers , pushing around all the newbies and creeps , making up new rules daily, but it will soon collapse and we will all laugh at them. Bring it on , get the claims started and let us get out. Agree? :hmmmm
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
barbario
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 411
Joined: 31 Jul 2007, 11:28

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by barbario »

Well,where i work,nobody cares anymore.Even line managers i know,want out.
delboy1969
Posts: 95
Joined: 03 Feb 2012, 17:40
Gender: Male

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by delboy1969 »

Interesting thread.... I joined RM 7 months ago, I did work for them before as a part time collections driver in Aberdeen but that was a completely different job and office... now I work in small town depot with 17 rounds and one collections shift. Before I worked at RM I did a four month stint multi drop driving for City Link which believe me was 1000 times worse than RM, a 14 hour day was not unheard of there... and before that I was on the dole one of those benefit scroungers our government hate so much. I sat on my arse all day watching daytime TV.. not true actually! I tried so hard to get a job I really did!

I have good weeks and bad weeks on the job but at the end of the day I am thankful for the job I have and in the current there is a lot worse out there. Last week when we had 5/6 D2D's and I did four rounds (two of which I hadn't done in a few months and one of those I had to a quarter blind) it was the week from hell. Our office has all the usual problems... rounds too big, revisions not thought through properly and there are people in the office who finish on time every time no matter how busy we are yet others are always late.

I always complete and I can see why people hate the job, I have no idea what it was like before, my experience of deliveries is just the small office I work in but I can see why there are so many grievances kicking about and why there is such a distrust and apathy towards management.
Jmdnnlln
Posts: 25
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 10:38
Gender: Male

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by Jmdnnlln »

delboy1969 wrote:Interesting thread.... I joined RM 7 months ago, I did work for them before as a part time collections driver in Aberdeen but that was a completely different job and office... now I work in small town depot with 17 rounds and one collections shift. Before I worked at RM I did a four month stint multi drop driving for City Link which believe me was 1000 times worse than RM, a 14 hour day was not unheard of there... and before that I was on the dole one of those benefit scroungers our government hate so much. I sat on my arse all day watching daytime TV.. not true actually! I tried so hard to get a job I really did!

I have good weeks and bad weeks on the job but at the end of the day I am thankful for the job I have and in the current there is a lot worse out there. Last week when we had 5/6 D2D's and I did four rounds (two of which I hadn't done in a few months and one of those I had to a quarter blind) it was the week from hell. Our office has all the usual problems... rounds too big, revisions not thought through properly and there are people in the office who finish on time every time no matter how busy we are yet others are always late.

I always complete and I can see why people hate the job, I have no idea what it was like before, my experience of deliveries is just the small office I work in but I can see why there are so many grievances kicking about and why there is such a distrust and apathy towards management.
Me too, I'm a newbie and to be honest the people at my depot are for the most really decent guy/gals and most seem upbeat about the job....the trainning sucks BIGTIME and contributes to alot of the ****up's i've made but come on people go to the job centre on your way home and see the crap thats available. It's not good :neutral:
Postal1
Posts: 183
Joined: 07 Nov 2009, 18:32
Gender: Male

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by Postal1 »

Patrick Clifton wrote:
5plusbonusball wrote:Not having a go at you mate but hey , your office must be absolutely perfect with no moaners and everything just hunky dory. :roll: Your office must be the one that's not failing or you're the one in your office who's got that easy 'old ladies' duty :Very Happy
I can assure you that my office is very, very far from perfect. Rumours circulating that it's all being re-done :Very Happy

My office has its fair share of moaners. Are they looking for something else? I dunno. I just dont see why they continually turn up and constantly moan about anything and everything.

Despite being quite far down the seniority list, I have been quite lucky tbh. I am usually able to finish at my due finishing time :dance

Try coming to our office where you might finish at 5pm on a wednesday. Then if you shout i'm cutting off or working to time they'll get the stop watch on you sorting. Move you around to piss you off on the worse rounds available and then question your overtime claim.
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: Staying or going ???

Post by Patrick Clifton »

Postal1 wrote:

Try coming to our office where you might finish at 5pm on a wednesday. Then if you shout i'm cutting off or working to time they'll get the stop watch on you sorting. Move you around to piss you off on the worse rounds available and then question your overtime claim.
Then grow a pair. With what they are doing, the ball is very much in your court if you wish to play :Very Happy