The only benefit I can see to using a van is that you can save a small fortune in fuel and that you always have somewhere to park it in the yard.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Taking your van home?
-
Fluke
- Posts: 506
- Joined: 27 Mar 2007, 17:48
Re: Taking your van home?
LOL.
If you have 85 vans and 90 parking spaces, all you have is a place to park the van and 5 spare spaces, it doesn't free any up because you take the van home, you still need to park it when you come in.
The only benefit I can see to using a van is that you can save a small fortune in fuel and that you always have somewhere to park it in the yard.
The only benefit I can see to using a van is that you can save a small fortune in fuel and that you always have somewhere to park it in the yard.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Taking your van home?
Yes, of course you still need to park the van when you come in, but only the van, not ALSO your car for the couple of hours you're sorting as your car stays at home.Fluke wrote:LOL.If you have 85 vans and 90 parking spaces, all you have is a place to park the van and 5 spare spaces, it doesn't free any up because you take the van home, you still need to park it when you come in.
![]()
The only benefit I can see to using a van is that you can save a small fortune in fuel and that you always have somewhere to park it in the yard.
So for those 5 spare spaces there's not going to be 85 of us competing for them because most will have driven a van, not their car, in in the morning.
As for the benefit of saving a small fortune in fuel, someone living say only about two miles from the office might save £4,000 over a career of forty years, maybe nearer £5,000 when wear and tear on the vehicle is taken into account too.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: Taking your van home?
I don't see the issue as long as members and managers follow the procedure.
Take a look around your street and see how many "works" vans are parked there.
I bet they are not sitting at home worrying about the tax implications or whether their employer is gaining from it.
Take a look around your street and see how many "works" vans are parked there.
I bet they are not sitting at home worrying about the tax implications or whether their employer is gaining from it.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: Taking your van home?
Absolutely. Follow the procedure by signing the agreement and save loads of petrol money for the rest of your working life - unless either any doubts about insurance arise or HMRC start taking an interest in it as a 'benefit'.fishtank wrote:I don't see the issue as long as members and managers follow the procedure.
Take a look around your street and see how many "works" vans are parked there.
I bet they are not sitting at home worrying about the tax implications or whether their employer is gaining from it.
-
octo
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 18 Jun 2012, 04:54
- Gender: Female
Re: Taking your van home?
Does anyone know if there is a limit to how far you can live from your DO ,therefore private usage of the royal mail van?
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32819
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Taking your van home?
There is no private use of the van,home-work work-home.octo wrote:Does anyone know if there is a limit to how far you can live from your DO ,therefore private usage of the royal mail van?
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
H6BTW
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 12 Jan 2007, 16:33
Re: Taking your van home?
Just been stopped by police in works van , going from my house to an overnight Address I stay at quite often , close to where I pick a work mate up in the morning , my office closed . Am I covered with the insurance from work .
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32819
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Re: Taking your van home?
If you have gone through the correct process then you will be insured in a RM van,are RM aware that there is 2 addresses that you use?H6BTW wrote:Just been stopped by police in works van , going from my house to an overnight Address I stay at quite often , close to where I pick a work mate up in the morning , my office closed . Am I covered with the insurance from work .
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
H6BTW
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 12 Jan 2007, 16:33
Re: Taking your van home?
I've just bought my first house , still quite young , my Dom as just left for a new office but he knew my situation . I've been told I need to produce documentation from work about the insurance for the van . My wages have just changed to the new adress but all over documentation still goes to my old adress , my mothers to be exact .