ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Generals s**t Chat.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

DGP1 wrote:Never having seen American Pie (and never going to) I never knew and yes, I just wait until I get home............much better that way :wink:
No, I've not seen it too :sad: but I've heard the record http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; must be forty years ago now. :crazy: :nana
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by DGP1 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
DGP1 wrote:Never having seen American Pie (and never going to) I never knew and yes, I just wait until I get home............much better that way :wink:
No, I've not seen it too :sad: but I've heard the record http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; must be forty years ago now. :crazy: :nana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BIAi3Oo7To" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I thought it was this one :nervous :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by clashcityrocker »

Lounge Lizard wrote: No, I've not seen it too :sad: but I've heard the record http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; must be forty years ago now. :crazy: :nana
And as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.

And I still feel that way.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

DGP1 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
DGP1 wrote:Never having seen American Pie (and never going to) I never knew and yes, I just wait until I get home............much better that way :wink:
No, I've not seen it too :sad: but I've heard the record http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; must be forty years ago now. :crazy: :nana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BIAi3Oo7To" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I thought it was this one :nervous :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
No, not heard that version before, but I'm sure I'vee seen her drinking Timothy Taylors Landlord in that fine old pub, the Holly Bush, Hampstead. :nana
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by fishtank »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote: No, I've not seen it too :sad: but I've heard the record http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; must be forty years ago now. :crazy: :nana
And as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.

And I still feel that way.
It's the Madonna cover that makes me feel like that.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by DGP1 »

fishtank wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote: No, I've not seen it too :sad: but I've heard the record http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsV5-Hv-7U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; must be forty years ago now. :crazy: :nana
And as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.

And I still feel that way.
It's the Madonna cover that makes me feel like that.
:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle :chuckle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by clashcityrocker »

Are the words:
While Lennon read a book on Marx......or
While Lenin read a book on Marx?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by Lounge Lizard »

clashcityrocker wrote:Are the words:
While Lennon read a book on Marx......or
While Lenin read a book on Marx?
A long, long time ago
I can still remember how that music used to make me smile
And, I knew if I had my chance that I could make those people dance, and...
Maybe they'd be happy for a while
But, February made me shiver with every paper I'd deliver
Bad news on the doorstep - I couldn't take one more step
I can't remember if I cried when I read about his widowed bride
Something touched me deep inside the day the music died

So, bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
Them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye, singing...
This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die

Did you write the Book of Love and do you have faith in God, above?
If the Bible tells you so
Now, do you believe in Rock and Roll? Can music save your mortal soul? And...
Can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Well, I know that you're in love with him, 'cause I saw you dancing in the gym
You both kicked off your shoes - man, I dig those rhythm and blues
I was a lonely, teenage broncin' buck with a pink carnation and a pickup truck, but...
I knew I was out of luck the day the music died

I started singing, bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
Them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye, singing...
This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die

Now, for ten years we've been on our own and moss grows fat on a Rolling Stone, but...
That's not how it used to be
When the Jester sang for the king and queen in a coat he borrowed from James Dean
In a voice that came from you and me
Oh, and while the King was looking down the Jester stole his thorny crown
The courtroom was adjourned - no verdict was returned
And, while LENIN read a book on Marx the quartet practiced in the park, and...
We sang dirges in the dark the day the music died

We were singing, bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
Them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye, singing...
This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die

Healter Skealter in the summer swelter - the Birds flew off with a fallout shelter
Eight Miles High and falling fast
It landed foul on the grass
The players tried for a forward pass with the Jester on the sidelines in a cast
Now, the halftime air was sweet perfume while the Sergeants played a marching tune
We all got up to dance, oh, but we never got the chance
'Cause the players tried to take the field - the marching band refused to yield
Do you recall what was revealed the day the music died?

We started singing, bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
Them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye, singing...
This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die

And, there we were, all in one place - a generation Lost in Space
With no time left to start again
So, come on, Jack be nimble, Jack be quick - Jack Flash sat on a Candlestick, 'cause...
Fire is the Devil's only friend
And, as I watched him on the stage my hands were clenched in fists of rage
No angel born in Hell could break that satan's spell
And, as the flames climbed high into the night to light the sacrificial rite, I saw...
Satan laughing with delight the day the music died

He was singing, bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
Them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye, singing...
This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die

I met a girl who sang the Blues, and I asked her for some happy news
She just smiled and turned away
I went down to the sacred store where I'd heard the music years before, but...
The man there said the music wouldn't play
And, in the streets the children screamed, the lover's cried, and the poets dreamed, but...
Not a word was spoken - the church bells all were broken
And, the three men I admire most: the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost, they...
Caught the last train for the coast the day the music died

And, they were singing, bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
Them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye, singing...
This'll be the day that I die
This'll be the day that I die

They were singing, bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
Them good ol' boys were drinking whiskey and rye, singing...
This'll be the day that I die
mbavelja
Posts: 60
Joined: 19 Sep 2009, 12:55
Gender: Male

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by mbavelja »

However AZ lyrics gives this:

Now, for ten years we've been on our own
And moss grows fat on a rolling stone
But, that's not how it used to be
When the jester sang for the king and queen
In a coat he borrowed from James Dean
And a voice that came from you and me
Oh, and while the king was looking down
The jester stole his thorny crown
The courtroom was adjourned
No verdict was returned
And while Lennon read a book on Marx
The quartet practiced in the park
And we sang dirges in the dark
The day the music died
We were singin'....

Lenin was long dead. He wouldn't have been reading a book on Marx in 1971. That makes no sense.
Given the swipes at The Rolling Stones, it is more likely a swipe at The Beatles (or Lennon in particular).
I'm not sure if Madonna sang that particular verse.......
Round up the usual suspects.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by clashcityrocker »

I always thought it was about Lennon. It was only because Mrs Clash suggested otherwise that I asked the question.
I have never known her be wrong before......

Anyway I have a battered and torn copy of the original lyrics (bought off ebay) and it is quite clear that Don Maclean was a postman and originally the song was about his DOM. The real lyrics according to the sheet are:
Shirts from Primark, pants from Marks.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by fishtank »

Everybody thinks it's Lennon because it ties in with the theory that the next line the quartet practised in the park is about the Beatles "farewell" concert at Candlestick Park in 1966.
It isn't...it's Lenin.
It's clearly Lenin he sings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr-BYVeCv6U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And according to...
http://www.don-mclean.com/viewsong.asp?id=89" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's Lenin....it's a shame because Lennon is a more interesting lyric and since the entire song is about music it makes more sense.
I would imagine even Don Mclean wishes it was Lennon.
How did we get here from toilet humour? :crazy:
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by DGP1 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcjgJSqSRU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The Saga Begins"

A long, long time ago
In a galaxy far away
Naboo was under an attack
And I thought me and Qui-Gon Jinn
Could talk the federation into
Maybe cutting them a little slack
But their response, it didn't thrill us
They locked the doors and tried to kill us
We escaped from that gas
Then met Jar Jar and Boss Nass
We took a bongo from the scene
And we went to Theed to see the Queen
We all wound up on Tatooine
That's where we found this boy...

Oh my my this here Anakin guy
May be Vader someday later - now he's just a small fry
And he left his home and kissed his mommy goodbye
Sayin' "Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"
"Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"

Did you know this junkyard slave
Isn't even old enough to shave
But he can use the Force, they say
Ah, do you see him hitting on the queen
Though he's just nine and she's fourteen
Yeah, he's probably gonna marry her someday
Well, I know he built C-3PO
And I've heard how fast his pod can go
And we were broke, it's true
So we made a wager or two
He was a prepubescent flyin' ace
And the minute Jabba started off that race
Well, I knew who would win first place
Oh yes, it was our boy

We started singin' ...
My my this here Anakin guy
May be Vader someday later - now he's just a small fry
And he left his home and kissed his mommy goodbye
Sayin' "Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"
"Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"

Now we finally got to Coruscant
The Jedi Council we knew would want
To see how good the boy could be
So we took him there and we told the tale
How his midi-chlorians were off the scale
And he might fulfill that prophecy
Oh, the Council was impressed, of course
Could he bring balance to the Force?
They interviewed the kid
Oh, training they forbid
Because Yoda sensed in him much fear
And Qui-Gon said "Now listen here"
"Just stick it in your pointy ear"
"I still will teach this boy"

He was singin' ...
My my this here Anakin guy
May be Vader someday later - now he's just a small fry
And he left his home and kissed his mommy goodbye
Sayin' "Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"
"Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"

We caught a ride back to Naboo
'Cause Queen Amidala wanted to
I frankly would've liked to stay
We all fought in that epic war
And it wasn't long at all before
Little Hotshot flew his plane and saved the day
And in the end some Gunguns died
Some ships blew up and some pilots fried
A lot of folks were croakin'
The battle droids were broken
And the Jedi I admire most
Met up with Darth Maul and now he's toast
Well, I'm still here and he's a ghost
I guess I'll train this boy

And I was singin' ...
My my this here Anakin guy
May be Vader someday later - now he's just a small fry
And he left his home and kissed his mommy goodbye
Sayin' "Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"
"Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"

We were singin' ...
My my this here Anakin guy
May be Vader someday later - now he's just a small fry
And he left his home and kissed his mommy goodbye
Sayin' "Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"
:whistle
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16726
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by clashcityrocker »

fishtank wrote:Everybody thinks it's Lennon because it ties in with the theory that the next line the quartet practised in the park is about the Beatles "farewell" concert at Candlestick Park in 1966.
It is Lennon.
The "quartet" are The Weavers who suffered at the hands of McCarthyism.
It juxtaposes The Beatles pseudo-politics with the real hardships being suffered by people Don admired.

Now who are the "three men I admire most" at the end of the song?
Fidel, Che and Camilo Cienfuegos?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by General Mannerheim »

Well today I managed to get in the shithouse nice and bonny when the `real` posties had all gone out on delivery so it was nice and quiet,I was just about to launch whilst reading the latest edition of the Voice on the can when to my horror the Romec feckin cleaner decided to mop out the toilet(this was after he saw me going in) the Bastard. :evil/mad
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: Generals s**t Chat.

Post by eastie »

I remember a prank whilst at college where a person put a log under the front of the toilet seat and the next person who sat on the seat had s**t squirted into his trousers :chucklee